• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Error setting Bluray disk region

drmongrain

After loading a disk for the first time Anydvd prompted me for the disk's region. I entered A but after I noticed the disk actually shows ABC on it. I am no longer prompted for the disk's region, any way to re-specify the disk's region? I am getting read errors trying to make an image, could it be related? I cleaned the disk over and over and still getting errors...

If a disc displays all 3 regions, selecting any one of them will work. If you were planning on selecting 'region free' then think again. There's a difference between playable in all 3 regions and region free. Selecting region free when it's not can break playback.

No read errors aren't related to this, but read errors: read the related sticky up top.

If a disc displays all 3 regions, selecting any one of them will work. If you were planning on selecting 'region free' then think again. There's a difference between playable in all 3 regions and region free. Selecting region free when it's not can break playback.

No read errors aren't related to this, but read errors: read the related sticky up top.
Thanks for clearing it up regarding the read errors, that's what I thought when I read the sticky but it never hurts to ask...

To get back on my original question, is there a way to change a disk region setting once set in case of an error? The settings allow me to set the region (or make regionless) what is reported to an application or a ripped disk (I assume) but I could not find a UI setting to change my A region to ABC... I assume this is saved in AnyDVD's cache so either I wipe out the cache or uninstall AnyDVD so the next time I insert the disk it asks again?

There is no ABC region. ABC simply means the disc will play in regions A, B and C. As such specifying either region will work for region removal. So with a region abc disc you can specify a, b, or c. With such discs the only way you can go wrong is by selecting 'region free'. As said, there's a difference between region free and region abc.

When you specify region, it's saved for that specific disc in anydvd's local database. Don't really know where that's stored, but if you want to be really sure just set it to 'Always ask'. That way even if anydvd has seen the disc before (and you accidentally specified the wrong region), all you'd have to do is reinsert the disc and anydvd will ask you for the region again.

Use the "always ask" region setting as ch3vy suggested. I myself use that as well. And I also use the "show information window when new media is inserted" as that tells you info about the disc inserted. Like what regions the disc is. And many more things too. It's also where the playlist information is shown for Screenpass (playlist obfuscation protection) protected disc's. But I just like to know all I can about the disc.
Also if you're not sure what a setting does right-clicking it will give a more detailed description of what it does. In most cases. So try that out.

There's a difference between playable in all 3 regions and region free.

Are you dead sure, Ch3vy?
If so, what's the very difference between region free and ABC, as there are only three regions at all?
I haven't encountered any problems with respect to selecting "region free" instead of "A", "B" or "C" yet .

Back