• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Error Message: Program will not work without original CD in Drive

midijim

Have copied the Dearborn Real Estate Exam Prep disk (which I am the legitimate owner of) several times. Each time when I try to install the software onto my computer (or after installing it with the original disk, but with the copy disk in the drive) and try to use it, the following error message:

Error: “This program cannot run without the original CD in the drive.”

1. What version of Clonecd are you running? Version 5.1.3.0

2. What Operating system are you using? XP Pro SP 2

3. If you have virtual drives, disable them. This includes Daemon Tools, Alcohol 120%, Virtual Clonedrive, VSO's EZ Play (comes with Blindwrite), and possibly Anydvd. These are programs that are typically blacklisted by copy protections.

Have removed Alcohol 120% for computer and disabled Daemon Tools; don’t have any other virtual drives.

4. If you have Clonecdtray running in the background, try right clicking on the icon in your toolbar and selecting "hide cd-r media". Then try running the game. If it still doesn't work, then just exit out of Clonecdtray, and try running the game again.

Is located in the windows/prefetch folder; does not show in toolbar as running in background.

5. Remove packet writing software from your system (including Roxio's Directcd, Nero's Incd, Roxio/Sonic's DragtoDisc, Drive Letter Access, CyberLink InstantBurn, NTI's Filecd, etc.)

Don’t have any packet writing software.

6. What protection does your game use? Don't know? Find out before posting about issues (and include that information)! Use Protection ID. It's a free program. Use ProtectionID and scan your HD directory where the game is installed (right click the icon on your toolbar, and select "scan files/folders"). Or just scan the main program .exe(s) that you find in the game directory on your hard drive. Provide the protection name and the version number.

Used Protection ID and no protection was identified.

However, all of the executables reported the following message:
[!] Possible CD/DVD-Check String -> CD in the drive
[!] File appears to have no protection or is using an unknown protection

AND

MDAC_TYP.exe reported:
-> File Appears to be Digitally Signed @ Offset 0530510h, size : 015C0h / 05568 byte(s)
-> File has 272 (0110h) bytes of appended data starting at offset 05319C0h

AND

DCOM98.exe reported:
-> File Appears to be Digitally Signed @ Offset 012ACE0h, size : 01420h / 05152 byte(s)
-> File has 2784 (0AE0h) bytes of appended data starting at offset 012B620h

AND

DCOM95.exe reported:
-> File Appears to be Digitally Signed @ Offset 012AAE0h, size : 01420h / 05152 byte(s)
-> File has 2784 (0AE0h) bytes of appended data starting at offset 012B420h

AND

IE501DOM.exe reported:
-> File Appears to be Digitally Signed @ Offset 012AAE0h, size : 01420h / 05152 byte(s)
-> File has 2784 (0AE0h) bytes of appended data starting at offset 012B420h

AND

IE5COMP.EXE reported
-> File Appears to be Digitally Signed @ Offset 011110h, size : 01618h / 05656 byte(s)
-> File has 272 (0110h) bytes of appended data starting at offset 012618h

AND

IE5SETUP.exe reported
-> File has 272 (0110h) bytes of appended data starting at offset 07B400h

AND

OAINST.exe reported:
-> File Appears to be Digitally Signed @ Offset 0736E0h, size : 01410h / 05136 byte(s)
-> File has 2784 (0AE0h) bytes of appended data starting at offset 074010h

AND

JET40Sp3_Comp.exe reported:
-> File Appears to be Digitally Signed @ Offset 03822E0h, size : 015D8h / 05592 byte(s)
-> File has 2784 (0AE0h) bytes of appended data starting at offset 0382DD8h

AND LASTLY,

SETUP.exe reported:

a) Clonecd cannot handle Securerom 7.x protections with emulation; and, in fact, nothing can.
b) Most of the latest protections do require emulation of some sort, and that's what GameJackal is for. Clonecd does not provide emulation

7. What is the name of the game you're trying to run?

Not a game but a CD-based training and test questions program:
Dearborn Real Estate Education, Real Estate Exam Prep, Version 2.

8. What is the version of the game?

Version 2

9. Is it cd or dvd version?

CD

10. What region or country is the original disc from?

USA

11. What cpu are you running?

Pentium 4 3.0 Ghz

12. What optical drives (dvd-rom,cd-rom, burners) are you using to create profiles with? What firmware version is installed on your reader?

Lite-On DVDRW SHM-165H6S with current Firmware

13. What security software (firewall, antivirus) are you using? Please provide version numbers.

Norton Internet Security 2008 Version 15.0.0.60 -- Anti-virus and Firewall are disabled during burn

14. Describe your problem, provide full error messages, and please state clearly what you were doing when you received those error messages)

I have copied the disk (which I am the legitimate owner of) several time. Each time when I try to install the software onto my computer (or after installing it with the original disk, but with the copy disk in the drive) and try to use it, the following error message:

Error: “This program cannot run without the original CD in the drive.”

However, if I replace the copy disk with the original, the program works fine.

15 Image Burn Results
===============================================
Filter Driver Load Order - ImgBurn v2.4.1.0
===============================================

Upper Device Filter: redbook
Upper Class Filter: [None Found]
Device: CD/DVD-ROM Device
Lower Class Filter: Pfc
Lower Class Filter: Afc
Lower Class Filter: ElbyCDFL
Lower Class Filter: PxHelp20
Lower Device Filter: [None Found]

Filter Name: redbook
File Name: C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\redbook.sys
File Version: 5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)
File Description: Redbook Audio Filter Driver
Product Name: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
Product Version: 5.1.2600.2180
Company Name: Microsoft Corporation
Copyright: © Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Filter Name: Pfc
File Name: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\pfc.sys
File Version: 2, 5, 0, 205 [2.5.0.205]
File Description: Padus(R) ASPI Shell
Product Name: Padus(R) ASPI Shell
Product Version: 2, 5, 0, 205 [2.5.0.205]
Company Name: Padus, Inc.
Copyright: (C) Padus, Inc. 1999-2004. All rights reserved.

Filter Name: Afc
File Name: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\Afc.sys
File Version: 1, 0, 0, 2 [1.0.0.2]
File Description: Arcsoft(R) ASPI Shell
Product Name: Arcsoft(R) ASPI Shell
Product Version: 1, 0, 0, 2 [1.0.0.2]
Company Name: Arcsoft, Inc.
Copyright: (C) Arcsoft, Inc. 1999-2005. All rights reserved.

Filter Name: ElbyCDFL
File Name: C:\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\ElbyCDFL.sys
File Version: 5, 2, 1, 3 [5.2.1.3]
File Description: ElbyCDIO Filter Driver
Product Name: CloneCD
Product Version: 5, 2, 1, 3 [5.2.1.3]
Company Name: SlySoft, Inc.
Copyright: Copyright (C) 2003 - 2006 SlySoft, Inc.

Filter Name: PxHelp20
File Name: C:\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\PxHelp20.sys
File Version: 3.00.70C [3.0.70.2]
File Description: Px Engine Device Driver for Windows 2000/XP
Product Name: PxHelp20
Product Version: [2.0.0.0]
Company Name: Sonic Solutions
Copyright: Copyright © Sonic Solutions

16. Use good quality blank media.

17. What blank media are you using?

Maxell CD-R Pro

Specify a) brand name = Maxell b)type (-R) c)media code = ???, d) capacity/size = 700 MB, e) batch codes/serial codes = 80 PG7544 (often found printed on the inner plastic hub of the blank disc), and f)country = Japan (factory information would be great as well, if possible) where the media was made (look on the physical packaging; do not rely on programs to accurately give you this information).

18 ) At what speed are you burning your blank media?

Most recent copy at 4X

19) Visit your burner's website, and update your burner's firmware if possible. DONE

My responses 1) presume you own the original retail disc you are attempting to backup YES

and 2) tend to represent myself only and do not necessarily represent the views of Slysoft nor its developers. I do not work for Slysoft. UNDERSTOOD

Can you help?

4. If you have Clonecdtray running in the background, try right clicking on the icon in your toolbar and selecting "hide cd-r media". Then try running the game. If it still doesn't work, then just exit out of Clonecdtray, and try running the game again.

Is located in the windows/prefetch folder; does not show in toolbar as running in background.

Well, run Clonecdtray.exe and enable "hide cd-r media". Then try using your backup again.

Did you use the Protected PC game profile from clonecd to produce your backup? If not, try again using that profile.

Otherwise I am out of suggestions other than trying Game Jackal.

Last edited:
Tried Hide CDR Media and Protected Game CD

Same result. Because I travel and need to carry a copy of the disk with me, Game Jackal, which is more or less tied to a given machine, does not serve my purpose. Thanks for your efforts thus far, but I guess copying of this CD is not possible. Whatever the protection strategy used by Dearborn (the program's creator/owner) is, it has proved to be ironclad.

Last edited:
If you install the program on your computer, could you scan the folder (c:\program files\....) too please ?

Results for Scan of Drive C Program Files

If anyone has any further suggestions or insight as to why this disk can not be copied, please let me know.

For anyone who may be interested, in addition to the previous scan of the CD reported above, here is the scan result for the program on the C: drive after installatation (there were many non-executables installed which I have not included).

This is the summary report:

ProtectionID Protection Report (txt format)

08:29:58 | C:\Program Files\Dearborn\Real Estate Exam Prep\reep.exe | Possible CD/DVD-Check

and this is the detailed report:

-=[ ProtectionID v0.6.0.0 BETA XMAS 2007 PREVIEW]=-
(c) CDKiLLER & TippeX
Build 12/24/07-16:18:13
Ready...

Scanning -> C:\Program Files\Dearborn\Real Estate Exam Prep\reep.exe
File Type : Exe, Size : 1151036 (011903Ch) Byte(s)
-> File has 60 (03Ch) bytes of appended data starting at offset 0119000h
- Scan Took : 0.419 Seconds

Last edited:
Back