Encoding NTSC 29.97FPS material produces weird interlacing problems

Discussion in 'CloneDVD mobile' started by gianluca, Aug 14, 2007.

1. gianluca

gianluca Active Member

I'm trying to convert NTSC Video material from DVD encoded at 29.97 frames per second.
    I'm converting using the iPod (hires) profile, using version 1.1.5.4.
    Output to a 640x480 and all other parameters are left to default values.

The output file is an MPEG-4 video at 24FPS, which has motion problems: I can see interlaced fields problems especially when there's horizontal motion.

So I tried to create a new iPod (hires) profile by making a copying of it in devices.ini, and I called it "iPod Video 5. gen (hires 29.97FPS)".
    I added the following two lines to it:
    NTSCFrameRate1=29.97
    NTSCFrameRateDeinterlace1=29.97

After creating a new file with this new profile I noticed that it is an MPEG-4 at 29.97FPS, but I still see the motion problem as before.

Is there a way to setup a profile that does not have this problem?
    I suspect there's a conversion from 29.97, down to 24 and then back to 29.97, somewhere in the conversion chain.

I do understand that I can turn on the "deinterlace video material" option, but this option degrades the video quality quite a bit, makes the video fuzzy and not as sharp as the original, and I don't like that.

Thanks,
    -Gianluca.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2007
  2. Peer

Peer Redfox Development Team Staff Member

Well, but that's you option. Deinterlacing will always degrade the quality, that's inevidible. And if a device is not designed to play interlaced material, you have to deinterlace.

3. gianluca

gianluca Active Member

Ah...once again my fault, because all this time I thought that the iPod could play interlaced video.
    I did some further research and found out I was wrong, indeed.