• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Enable Logging Feature Gone :(

freedom

Slysoft -

In the prior versions 6303 and I think most of the Beta Run of 6304..6307, the automated Enable Logging Feature was available, but it is now gone in 6309.

Is there any way we can get this back? I use this logging feature in AnyDVD to automate the backup process.

The basic idea is that AnyDVD would create the log file which would trigger various backup programs based on the information my program(s) would parse out of the logfiles. Without the log file I have no way to trigger the different backup programs I use.

Sadly, I started using this because I gave up on SlySoft doing a SmartTAG feature for the external program launch option and now the logging option is gone as well. (whining done :) ).

Alternatively, any chance we can get the SmartTAG feature added to the 'launch an external program' option? The idea being that you can include arguments. For instance, %DRIVE% would be replaced with the DVD Drive Letter, %MEDIATYPE% would be replaced with DVD, HDDVD, BR, %VOLUMENAME% with the Disc Volume Name and so on.

I just need something that AnyDVD outputs that indicates the drive letter of the media that has been inserted and is ready to go.

Thanks!

Slysoft -

In the prior versions 6303 and I think most of the Beta Run of 6304..6307, the automated Enable Logging Feature was available, but it is now gone in 6309.

Is there any way we can get this back? I use this logging feature in AnyDVD to automate the backup process.

The basic idea is that AnyDVD would create the log file which would trigger various backup programs based on the information my program(s) would parse out of the logfiles. Without the log file I have no way to trigger the different backup programs I use.

Sadly, I started using this because I gave up on SlySoft doing a SmartTAG feature for the external program launch option and now the logging option is gone as well. (whining done :) ).

Right-click on the fox icon in your systray and click on "Create Logfile...". That's how the log is created now.

From the changelog:

6.3.0.9 2008 01 14
- New: Added "Create Logfile" menu, removed "enable logging" from settings

Automation is Key...

Sorry, I should have explained better that the idea is to FULLY automate the process.

I can hear it now - man, you can't click on icon and select make log? How darn lazy are you?

It's not that and if I only had one DVD Drive it probably also wouldn't be an issue, but I have multiple drives and the fully automated setup is really nice - just pop in the disk, it automatically backs it up and then ejects it. Quick, Simple and something anyone in the house can do. 100% KIS.

FYI - I checked the prior versions and set the DEBUG registry setting to 1 which was what the 'Enable Logging' option would change, but unfortunately that didn't work.

Sorry, I should have explained better that the idea is to FULLY automate the process.

I can hear it now - man, you can't click on icon and select make log? How darn lazy are you?

It's not that and if I only had one DVD Drive it probably also wouldn't be an issue, but I have multiple drives and the fully automated setup is really nice - just pop in the disk, it automatically backs it up and then ejects it. Quick, Simple and something anyone in the house can do. 100% KIS.

FYI - I checked the prior versions and set the DEBUG registry setting to 1 which was what the 'Enable Logging' option would change, but unfortunately that didn't work.

I don't call it being lazy wanting it always on but there is a specific reason why it was decided to not have it as a setting. They want the discs scanned under normal circumstances with the default setting of the A.I. Scanner.

To be honest although it's less automated I find the new method is actually more user-friendly for new users since it now tells you exactly where the file is located and the name when it is created.

I don't call it being lazy wanting it always on but there is a specific reason why it was decided to not have it as a setting. They want the discs scanned under normal circumstances with the default setting of the A.I. Scanner.

To be honest although it's less automated I find the new method is actually more user-friendly for new users since it now tells you exactly where the file is located and the name when it is created.

That makes a lot of sense. Thanks for taking the time to explain :)

Is there any reason that you can't have both options?

The Manual Create Log Files Option via Right Click and heck maybe even an upload to the "collective" box would really help as it's a fairly involved process for some to get on the forum, upload and so on. And the option to automatically generate the log files?

Just trying to understand why you can't have one without the other. Even if the other is just a setting that gets set via the registry for advanced users. I'm assuming that the code already has debug and similiar flags internally and once the DVD was finished being processed by AnyDVD it would just check the flag and call the log procedure for the drive.

Also, I sent a message about 6 months ago on the smart tags and got a really good response. Actually thought that it was probably going to be done and keep hoping with each new release that it will be there. I've asked again in the forums and don't get any response so I'm not sure what to think :confused: - Any Thoughts?

Thanks!

That makes a lot of sense. Thanks for taking the time to explain :)

Is there any reason that you can't have both options?

The Manual Create Log Files Option via Right Click and heck maybe even an upload to the "collective" box would really help as it's a fairly involved process for some to get on the forum, upload and so on. And the option to automatically generate the log files?

Just trying to understand why you can't have one without the other. Even if the other is just a setting that gets set via the registry for advanced users. I'm assuming that the code already has debug and similiar flags internally and once the DVD was finished being processed by AnyDVD it would just check the flag and call the log procedure for the drive.

Also, I sent a message about 6 months ago on the smart tags and got a really good response. Actually thought that it was probably going to be done and keep hoping with each new release that it will be there. I've asked again in the forums and don't get any response so I'm not sure what to think :confused: - Any Thoughts?

Thanks!

I can't answer about the smart tags issue since I'm not a developer. Whether or not they decide to add anything like that is purely up to them.

As far as the logging and the possibility of both options I'm sure there was more to it than just user convenience as to why it was removed so again it comes down to a developer issue.

Sorry for being unable to give you a more definitive answer and I'm sure what I did give you wasn't what you were wanting to hear.

Alternatively, any chance we can get the SmartTAG feature added to the 'launch an external program' option? The idea being that you can include arguments. For instance, %DRIVE% would be replaced with the DVD Drive Letter, %MEDIATYPE% would be replaced with DVD, HDDVD, BR, %VOLUMENAME% with the Disc Volume Name and so on.

I just need something that AnyDVD outputs that indicates the drive letter of the media that has been inserted and is ready to go.

It's best to wait to see what James thinks. I've sent him a PM with a link your request.

I like the current way now and it's not like it is hard to do either. I too used to have it on by default.

Hi!

Slysoft -

Thanks!
The logging feature will most certainly stay like it is, otherwise Webslinger and our support people would kill me.

Now about the "Tag" feature: Neat idea, but what exactly is your application trying to do?
Note that the AnyDVD "Launch external program" feature is pretty useless for most purposes, as the program is triggered *before* the disc is available to the system.
Unless you want to change system metrics (resolution, display frequency) you should not use AnyDVD.
To receive notification after the disc is inserted, you should use services provided by the OS.
This might be the Autoplay mechanism, or IMHO better, listening to the WM_DEVICECHANGE message. After you received the message, you can examine the disc yourself and perform the appropriate action.

Last edited:
The logging feature will most certainly stay like it is, otherwise Webslinger and our support people would kill me.

LOL! Hey bro, don't blame me!

As long as people can post a log file, I'm happy. I don't care if you change things (so long as people can post a log file).

By the way, I think the popup message telling people exactly where the log file is a brilliant idea. :clap:

Back