• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

embedded subtitles

sierra117

I set the option to 'embed' subtitles, however when the downloaded mp4 plays, subtitles are not shown. are embedded subtitles in these mp4's something that can be turned on/off within the media player during playback ?

How can I get subtitles to be a part of the video ?

other options available in Anystream (like SRT). Can I remux the mp4 with Ripbot or Handbrake, to get the subs file into the video ? Any issue with audio/video synchronization when doing that ?

Embedded just means the player can be used to turn them on and off. If you want them on permanent you need to burnin.

What are you using to view the actual file you downloaded, we can't read people's minds, no matter how much we try.

In any event, embedded subtitles are just timed text and require the support of the app you use. What you appear to be asking about is burned-in subtitles, you need other tools to do that, AS doesn't alter the media it downloads.

i am looking to burn-in.

On windows 10, media player (Movies & TV) is not showing me any subtitles i can choose from during playback. I don't use VLC often.
On macOS, the TV app is what I use to manage all my movies, tv shows, etc. Not sure if it has an option to use embedded subs during playback.

It is a film in a foreign language and I want to burn english subs into it.

I suppose I can do that with Ripbot264, by passing thru the audio and video streams and choosing the SRT file to burn-in the subs.

Just an extra step but should be fast since there's no encoding happening when I do that. Hopefully the subs will be sync'd correctly.

i am looking to burn-in.

On windows 10, media player (Movies & TV) is not showing me any subtitles i can choose from during playback. I don't use VLC often.
On macOS, the TV app is what I use to manage all my movies, tv shows, etc. Not sure if it has an option to use embedded subs during playback.

It is a film in a foreign language and I want to burn english subs into it.

I suppose I can do that with Ripbot264, by passing thru the audio and video streams and choosing the SRT file to burn-in the subs.

Just an extra step but should be fast since there's no encoding happening when I do that. Hopefully the subs will be sync'd correctly.

Yup, VLC works fine, Windows Media Play on the other hand... I'm sure the latter used to work back in autumn, but can't seem to get it to work now, perhaps I'm mistaking...

You do know that burning-in subtitles will force re-encoding of the actual film, right?

The film has foreign spoken language, there is no English option, but there ARE English subtitles.

I plan to burn-in using Ripbot.

"Forced" refers to subs that would typically show up when a feature is played from a disc and subtitle display is not chosen by the viewer. Such as a film or show where the spoken language is native, but some parts of it have foreign spoken language. That's my understanding of what "Forced" subtitles are for.

I thought Ripbot has a feature that allows pass-thru for the video, I know it has one for the audio. If not in Ripbot maybe Handbrake does.

The video bitrate is kind of weak on the downloaded film, only 4Mbps or so.

<snip>

I thought Ripbot has a feature that allows pass-thru for the video, I know it has one for the audio. If not in Ripbot maybe Handbrake does.
<snip>

How would they alter the picture without decoding then re-encoding the picture?

Edit: PS: "forced" is a notion, not a specific requirement

How would they alter the picture without decoding then re-encoding the picture?

you are right, my misunderstanding.

i'll try out the job with rendered subs in ripbot264. hopefully it won't have much noticeable video quality loss.

it would be nice to have anystream do that (render subs) ...

not ideal but i can live with re-encoding some of these films. I'm not video-phile enough to nitpick at picture quality losses so I think it should be fine.

not ideal but i can live with re-encoding some of these films. I'm not video-phile enough to nitpick at picture quality losses so I think it should be fine.

Ok, so it seems the media player only will play SAMI subtitles, you can convert SRT -> SAMI using something like

Code:
https://www.videohelp.com/software/Subtitle-Workshop

Open the SRT file and then Save As "SAMI." The filename of the SAMI file must match exactly the name of the MP4 file, so for "A_Film_File.MP4" the SAMI file needs to be "A_Film_File.SAMI" or "A_Film_File.SAM"

Ok, so it seems the media player only will play SAMI subtitles, you can convert SRT -> SAMI using something like

Code:
https://www.videohelp.com/software/Subtitle-Workshop

Open the SRT file and then Save As "SAMI." The filename of the SAMI file must match exactly the name of the MP4 file, so for "A_Film_File.MP4" the SAMI file needs to be "A_Film_File.SAMI" or "A_Film_File.SAM"

i prefer burned in subs for these types of films.

thanks anyway for the suggestion

Back