• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

EDIT: PAL/USA playback problem Eric Rohmer Bluray Boxset

I'd trip on over to BestBuy with one of your problem discs and ask to test it in a Samsung player. Most Samsung and several LG's will play 1080i 50hz authored discs. Had this problem with several Brit programs of the wife's.

I bought the sony but it doesnt do 50hz. I will go back and look at the samsungs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I actually prefer Sony players as they seem to do seamless branching better. Just my observation.
Back in the day I can see the argument of locking frame rate to power line frequency but it just doesn't seem so valid anymore. I've read that in other locals Sony players do both 50 and 60hz. Why not in the US would be the question.

That's down to the region and not the brand at all.

EU players play ntsc discs fine (after region removal obviously) by default. The opposite is NOT true. US players mostly only play ntsc, it's hard to find players that do both pal and ntsc in the us. Always been that way, all the way down to DVD early days.

Sent from my Nexus 6P with Tapatalk

Ch3vrOn!
Always happy to dialog with you. I find you far more knowledgeable in many areas than I.
PAL and NTSC are both terms held over from the Analogue days. 1080i/p is a worldwide standard for High Definition neither Pal nor NTSC. 50/60 hz authoring seems to be a hold over from the Analogue days and I really see no reason that most manufactures lock 50hz out in my region. Samsung and LG seem to be on board with 50hz 1080i/p content. Now menus and trailers typically not 1080i/p don't need to adhere to the worldwide standard and may be PAL or NTSC or 50hz or 60 hz.
In my region we see a number of discs from Europe and Australia that are region "all" that have both 50 and 60hz trailers and menus but myself I have not seen PAL.
I just don't want trashtierart to get the idea that he/she needs to get a player that converts PAL to NTSC :)
Samsung should have a less expensive solution.

25/50hz IS pal. 29.97/29.976/24hz is ntsc. So if you've seen 50hz, you've seen pal

Sent from my Nexus 6P with Tapatalk

Boy you don't let go do you:)
My Samsung player will play 50 or 60 hz 1080i/p content just fine. But it will not play "Phase Alternating Line" content any way shape or form....nuff said.

Boy you don't let go do you:)
My Samsung player will play 50 or 60 hz 1080i/p content just fine. But it will not play "Phase Alternating Line" content any way shape or form....nuff said.

What is the model of your samsung player? I am checking online for samsung players and looking up the specs on the user manuals and I can't really find if they support 50hz content.

Hi!
I haven't bought a player in a few years. What I have BD-D6700 (from 2011) and a BD-HS5900 (from 2014)
I know 50hz is not really advertised which is why I recommended testing at BestBuy. Good luck!

25/50hz IS pal. 29.97/29.976/24hz is ntsc. So if you've seen 50hz, you've seen pal

That is actually untrue.

"PAL" and "NTSC" are often incorrectly misused as synonyms for 25/50fps vs. 30/60fps. Also 24Hz is not NTSC. Not even a little bit.

PAL simply describes the analogue (!) transmission of the colour coding (Phase Alternate Line).
PAL doesn't even define a frame rate at all (while NTSC does) - there is also a standard called PAL-60, which comes into play when watching NTSC content on PAL displays (NTSC framerate, but the signal gets converted to PAL). PAL-M is a similar thing.

It gets even sillier, when we're talking about digital content delivered to digital displays (what we're doing all the time, unless some of us are still keeping their CRT warmed up).
The acronyms in their original sense don't even apply any more. PAL or NTSC doesn't come into play at all.
But they are still used to describe the, very specific, formats 480p/i and 576p/i.

But that is mainly because: a US DVD player will generate an NTSC signal at its analogue outputs when processing 480i video.
A European player will generate PAL for 576i video and PAL-60 for 480i.

And there is no counterpart for PAL like some sort of "NTSC-50". It doesn't exist, is not defined, nobody ever asked for it.

This is why players in the US don't play back anything that doesn't easily convert into an NTSC signal (except for 24fps, which is converted to NTSC using 3:2 pulldown).
European players simply need to be able to convert US content to PAL, US players usually don't, because there's hardly any demand for this.

For players without analogue outputs (like recent UHD players, I suppose BD players as well) it should make no difference, I'd expect those to handle 24/25/30/50/60 fps all the same.
I don't know that, though.

Hope, that cleared it up a bit.

Pete!
Thank You :)
I just hope we haven't lost track of how this thread started and we have helped trashtierart.

@Pete oh shieeet thanks! This is awesome. Thanks guys for your time and effort

@Pete oh shieeet thanks! This is awesome. Thanks guys for your time and effort

You could look out for an "iVid BD-780" player. It looks like crap, feels like crap, but can be set to play Blu-ray discs from any region with a simple trick via the remote. And it does this quite well.
So, you could even play the original discs from your Eric Rohmer set. Available at Amazon for about 120$.

Probably even harder to find, is the Seiki SR4KP1, which can also be easily convinced to play all reagions. IIRC I bought it for about 90$ a year ago.

You could look out for an "iVid BD-780" player. It looks like crap, feels like crap, but can be set to play Blu-ray discs from any region with a simple trick via the remote. And it does this quite well.
So, you could even play the original discs from your Eric Rohmer set. Available at Amazon for about 120$.

Probably even harder to find, is the Seiki SR4KP1, which can also be easily convinced to play all reagions. IIRC I bought it for about 90$ a year ago.

If you had to pick between the iVid BD-780 and the Oppo BDP-80 which one would you choose assuming each can be had for the same price?

If you had to pick between the iVid BD-780 and the Oppo BDP-80 which one would you choose assuming each can be had for the same price?
A region-free modded Oppo BDP-80 for 120$? I would pick the Oppo, of course.
Assuming that the drive in the Oppo is still fine.

EDIT:
Oh, I was mistaken... I don't know the Oppo BDP-80. I assumed you mean the BDP-83, which is a very fine machine. BDP-80 must be very old.
Sorry, no idea.

Back