• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

.DVDID file

TNK_2

I have started ripping dvd to hard disk and noticed every movie there is a file with the movie name and a .dvdid extension. what is that file suppose to do? If it not interference with the movie can I delete it?

thanks

I have started ripping dvd to hard disk and noticed every movie there is a file with the movie name and a .dvdid extension. what is that file suppose to do? If it not interference with the movie can I delete it?

thanks

How about a log files so we know what your talking about???

How about a log files so we know what your talking about???

He is talking about the dvdid.xml files.
Come on, Media Center gurus, explain it. :D

A helpful file

A dvdid.xml file is a file containing disc information about a DVD, or at least certain property elements..

This file is used by Windows Media Center to download information about the DVDs stored on your hard drive. Such information is usually DVD covers, movie descriptions, actors, year made, movie rating and more, etc. and so on..

Totally harmless and well-intended.

Yes but what about us that don't use Windows Media Creator? There should be a way to turn that feature off so that it doesn't put the xml file on the disc as I don't need it.

Yes but what about us that don't use Windows Media Creator? There should be a way to turn that feature off so that it doesn't put the xml file on the disc as I don't need it.

If there was a case where the .xml file was actually screwing other things up, then it's worth talking about.
It's too small to eat up disk space. Software either uses it, or ignores it.

-W

If there was a case where the .xml file was actually screwing other things up, then it's worth talking about.
It's too small to eat up disk space. Software either uses it, or ignores it.

-W

But I still have to delete the xml files which is why I wish here was an option (even with the new beta) not to put them on the hard drive!!

Up to developer

That file is where it is now in the 7xxxx version as a result of fixing a problem we discovered with the ripping process. I'll leave this up to James to address this one.

Last edited:
That file is where it is now in the 7xxxx version as a result of fixing a problem we discovered with the ripping process. I'll leave this up to James to address this one.

Oh ok, thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

thanks

Okay, let me answer this.
This file contains a unique disc id of the *original* disc.

Why is this useful?

There are numerous databases which can use this id to identify it and provide you with additional information (title, country of origin, plot summary, screenshots, cast & crew, yadda, yadda, yadda ...).

As a copy / folder rip / image has *its own different id*, it is useful to keep the id of the original, so you can easily identify the movie at a later time.

EDIT:
If you don't care, delete the file. But why throw away such useful information, if it only occupies a single sector on your hard drive?

Last edited:
But I still have to delete the xml files which is why I wish here was an option (even with the new beta) not to put them on the hard drive!!

Maybe I'm missing something.
Why do you have to delete the file?
Does it screw something else up?

-W (confused)

thanks

To answer your question, yes, you can delete the dvdid.xml files and not cause a problem. They are only "nice to have" files, not "gotta have them or my computer goes broke" files.

As I normally do not rip to HD using AnyDVD's built-in ripper (I use CloneDVD for that), I rarely see the files. Keeping them isn't a problem for me.

It would be nice to have an option though whether the files are created when ripping DVDs, as users currently have when ripping BDs. I won't complain if such a minor option takes some time to implement, if ever, as I'd rather have the developers keep AnyDVD/HD up to date battling the studios with their draconian anti-copy protections.

Maybe I'm missing something.
Why do you have to delete the file?
Does it screw something else up?

-W (confused)

Don't be confused. They don't screw up any part of my computer, I just don't have any need for the xml files so I just delete them. Minor problem (for me) solved!!

To answer your question, yes, you can delete the dvdid.xml files and not cause a problem. They are only "nice to have" files, not "gotta have them or my computer goes broke" files.

As I normally do not rip to HD using AnyDVD's built-in ripper (I use CloneDVD for that), I rarely see the files. Keeping them isn't a problem for me.

It would be nice to have an option though whether the files are created when ripping DVDs, as users currently have when ripping BDs. I won't complain if such a minor option takes some time to implement, if ever, as I'd rather have the developers keep AnyDVD/HD up to date battling the studios with their draconian anti-copy protections.

Not creating the XML files for DVD ripping would be good but it's not a "must have right now!!" opton for me. I'd prefer that the developers work on something else like any bugs found & new anti copy protections as you'd prefer them to do.

Don't be confused. They don't screw up any part of my computer, I just don't have any need for the xml files so I just delete them. Minor problem (for me) solved!!

I'm also pretty good about keeping a PC very "tidy" - but I think you might want to leave those files in case some day you have player / media software that will use them to catalog a hard drive full of movies for you.

Now that I know why they are there, I let them be. Even though I currently have no need for them.

-W

Back