DVD Shrink discussion

Discussion in 'Third Party Products' started by DetroitBaseball, Sep 4, 2007.

1. DetroitBaseball

DetroitBaseball Well-Known Member

Shrink was forced to shutdown, although I don't know why since it does nothing illegal unless it can decrypt CSS.

2. Webslinger

Webslinger Retired Moderator

Shrink can sometimes handle CSS protected discs without Anydvd. However, Shrink can't handle anything else by itself.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2007
  3. DetroitBaseball

That's what I was thinking. So Shrink was shutdown because it decrypted CSS? Otherwise how would it be illegal?

4. Webslinger

Well, in addition to handling CSS, Shrink also began to handle some abnormal disc structures as well (but not anything like what we see today).

5. DetroitBaseball

Shrink should have just dropped those then. Too good of an app to stop developing it for those reasons.

6. Webslinger

Shrink 3.2 went back to adhering to a pretty strict disc structure, but it can still (sometimes) handle discs that only have CSS without Anydvd.

Also, the author of Shrink went on to help develop Nero Recode (so, in a sense, Shrink isn't completely dead).

Last edited: Sep 7, 2007
  7. DetroitBaseball

I've always found CloneDVD to be sufficient for quality, so I've never used Recode but I have used DVDShrink a few times. I am not a quality freak.

8. James

James Redfox Development Team Staff Member

I don't think so. The author simply abandoned it.

9. James

Shrink *is* dead. Its author is not. I don't think Recode is a worthy successor, I miss some really nice features from Shrink, and I like the Shrink UI much, much more than Recode's. And Recode costs money, too.
    I'll stick with CloneDVD & Shrink, that's all you'll ever need.

10. Webslinger

O.k, ok. lol

Based on some testing the speed of transcoding in Recode is faster with respect to Shrink (and the quality remains about the same).

I'm only aware of "'Set default audio/subtitle-streams' missing in Recode before Nero 7.8.5.0. Otherwise, the feature is there. Click the "Default Streams" button in the compilation window.

That's true.

All I need is Clonecd, Anydvd, and Verbatim +R DL blank media. ;)

Last edited: Sep 4, 2007
  11. rrose1968

rrose1968 Well-Known Member

Did anyone also notice DVD Decrypter was abandoned close to the same time...?

12. James

No, not at the same time and completely unrelated.

13. rrose1968

rrose1968 Well-Known Member

14. Webslinger

Yeah . . .

"Legal status

On August 17, 2005, the official DVD Shrink website was updated to say that the site "is no more!", prompting many sites to mirror the latest DVD Shrink version and offer it for download. This was a result of DVD Shrink's web host receiving a Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) takedown notice, as compromising digital encryption is prohibited."

So while the author did abandon the program, the actual site was shutdown due to DMCA (and that's likely due to Shrink's ability to handle discs with CSS).

15. DetroitBaseball

Oh, I thought the author abandoned the program because of the takedown notice.

16. Webslinger

The site was taken down over a year after the last Dvd Shrink update.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dvd_shrink

"Current version

The anonymous author of DVD Shrink announced that he will no longer continue further development of DVD Shrink. As of this writing, version 3.2.0.15 (released on July 25, 2004) is the latest, with any further releases targeting bug fixes. Some rumors suggest the author has moved to Nero in order to join the programming of Nero Recode. The interface and functionality of Nero Recode is very similar to DVD Shrink."

17. oldjoe

oldjoe Well-Known Member

DVDDecrypter was forced to shut down.

18. DetroitBaseball

Yup, this is all cleared up now.