Dvd Rom Question

Discussion in 'CD/DVD/BD Drives' started by CATCHUM, Feb 22, 2007.

1. CATCHUM

CATCHUM Member

I would like to know if a dvd rom over time could start acting up as far as reading disks? Sometimes the disc is scratched but does'nt look to bad but I get an error cyclyic redundency error. I have had this drd rom for about 3 yrs but wonder if over time they might not read as well as in the newer state. I have ran probably 700-800 disc through it. Any info would be appreciated.

2. Webslinger

Webslinger Retired Moderator

1. Yes, all drives die eventually.

2. But a lot of commercial discs also suffer from quality control issues (even if they look and playback fine on a standalone dvd player, the discs may not be fine)

3. CATCHUM

CATCHUM Member

Some of the movies I copy are from friendsand are copies themselves and alot of those that I get this error on are office depot specials. But the problem is sparatic. Maybe one day it will not act up at all and next day it may act up 4 out of 10 disc. Thanks for the info

4. G-Omaha

G-Omaha Well-Known Member

Running a Cleaning CYcle using one of those Cleaning Disks (Dry Type With the Little Brushs) sometimes helps.

5. 399skySCRAPER

399skySCRAPER New Member

My DVD-ROM just died a slow death. First it stopped playback of audio cd's, now it won't read DVD's either! Time for a new drive. Any suggestions on which drives function better (or not so good) with AnyDVD/CloneDVD2 would GREATLY be appreciated. THANKS!

6. Webslinger

Whatever you do stay away from Matshita. :eek:

7. CATCHUM

CATCHUM Member

Wow! That hits home it so happens that is the DVD Rom is a Mashita. Thanks

8. TPLAT

TPLAT Well-Known Member

On several other forums I have seen alot of people with problems directly related to Matshita drives thats why I sometimes refer to them as Mat-Shit-a drives.

9. Webslinger

They're horrible. :agree:

10. CATCHUM

CATCHUM Member

Thanks for the input my question has been answered.

11. G-Omaha

G-Omaha Well-Known Member

That's exactly how I reference my Mat-Shit-A-DVD-RAM (Slotless Laptop 8x Drive). It's actually performs rather well, dispite the name.