dvd regions

Discussion in 'CD/DVD/BD Drives' started by kevzep, Apr 9, 2007.

1. kevzep

kevzep New Member

Hi, how's it going? Having trouble getting my laptop to play dvds from other regions, have given up on the drive thats in it and was considering getting an external unit, can anyone reccomend one that will be region free?
    Cheers

2. lostinlodos

lostinlodos Well-Known Member

AnyDVD removes the region for you. :)

3. kevzep

kevzep New Member

Cheers, tried that but it did'nt work, my drive is a Matshita dvd-ram uj-841s, don't know if that makes any difference. thanks again

4. mike20021969

mike20021969 Well-Known Member

i thought it only removed the region code from the dvd copy (ie the region code for the drive has to match the region code for the disc inserted into the drive and then the copy of the original disc is region free-or am i wrong again?).

5. pseudo555

pseudo555 Moderator (fr)

I think you're right ;)

6. Webslinger

Webslinger Retired Moderator

7. kevzep

kevzep New Member

Thanks a million for that, although its not good news! Can you reccomend an external burner that is easily compatible with anydvd or similar software?
    Thanks for your time.

8. mmdavis

mmdavis Well-Known Member

Pioneer, Plextor, Sony, some Lite-ons. They make some that are external. I Googled "external enclosures" and saw some external enclosures that you can put an internal drive into. Might be a little cheaper that way in the long run.

9. oldjoe

oldjoe Well-Known Member

I'm not fond of external optical drives but sometime they are a necessity.
    An external drive and the internal drive + an external case will be about the same cost.
    My personal preference is the internal enclosure+the internal DVDRW.... if/when the drive fails it can be replaced with another internal drive for about $30 US.