• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

DVD -R 8x and 16x

Pauline

Hi I am new to this forum and have a huge problem. For some reason which I didn't notice at some point I ran out of DVD-R 8x then tried to burn with 16x and I keep getting an error report. I have tried all different types and nothing that is 16x will work but if I put in 8x it does. The problem is that I can't find 8x. Someone told me they are not going to be around long. Does anyone know why I can't use 16x. Also what is burn proof and how do I know if I have it. I use anydvd and clone dvd. What is the difference between clonedvd2 and clonedvd? I have a slimtype DVDRW SOSW-852S last revised 6SU1. Thanks to anyone who can help.

That drive is a slim Lite-on and max single layer +R writing is 8x, and -R is 4x.

Lite-On SOSW-852S Slim DVD±RW Dual Layer Writer
(8x/4x/8x DVD+RW, 4x/2x/8x DVD-RW, 2.4x DVD+R DL, 24x/10x/24x CD-RW - MPN: SOSW852S)

Your problem could possibly be the firmware. That is the most common cause of drives not recognizing different media. Your burner "should" be able to use 16X media. What brands have you tried?
Basically, Clone DVD is for DVD's and Clone CD is for CD's.

Last edited:
DVD's

Thanks for the quick replys. I have tried Sony, Memorex and Maxell. None of these work if they are 16x. Memorex works if it is 8x and so do the staples brand 8x. What would I have to do to fix the firmware?? I just had this burner put into my laptop in Sept because the one I had stopped working, is this an old type burner, could that be the problem?? :confused:

A lot of machines don't have the bitrate to burn at 16X.
Have you tried burning the 16X disks at 8X or 4X ???

-W

DVD burner

Hi Yes I tried to burn at all different speeds but it won't work. Last night I picked up some Verbatim up to 16x to see if they would work and again no luck. Is there is fix for this, and can I do it myself or do I have to get a new burner?? Help!!:eek:

Pauline,

Check into updating the firmware for your dvd burner. Even my 16x burner
wouldn't burn a 16x disc until I updated its firmware.

tahcdz

Hi Yes I tried to burn at all different speeds but it won't work. Last night I picked up some Verbatim up to 16x to see if they would work and again no luck. Is there is fix for this, and can I do it myself or do I have to get a new burner?? Help!!:eek:

I suspect that the "buner" just isn't "up to snuff" for the 16x media. Normally, what happens is that that the write speed "defaults" to 4x; however, if the drive and it's drivers can not handle the 16x speed - it's a total NO GO...

My recommendation is a new burner. That way, at least for the now, it will like the newer media.

Back