• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

DVD not playing in dvd player

Treyes20000

I am having problems watching a dvd previously recorded using CloneDVD2 on my Samsung HT Q70 dvd player. I get an error message that states "play prohibited". I'm recording at a speed of 4x, and I'm using DVD-5 quality.
I am using "HP DVD-R 16x" dvd's and I've tried using "Verbatim DVD-R 16x" and neither are working. Any suggestions on what I'm doing wrong?

CloneDVD copies just fine. My dvd player error reads "Play Prohibited, please check disc".

AnyDVD states the following on the problem disc:

Summary for drive D: (AnyDVD 6.1.6.0)
PHILIPS DVD+-RW DVD8801 4D28 VA155S62215307
Drive (Hardware) Region: 1

Media is a DVD.
Booktype: dvd-r (version 5), Layers: 1
Total size: 2289408 sectors (4471 MBytes)

Video DVD (or CD) label: HAPPY_FEET
Media is not CSS protected.
Video Standard: NTSC
Media is region free.

RCE protection not found.
DVD structure appears to be correct.
Structural copy protection not found.
Autorun not found on Video DVD.
Bad sector protection not found.
Emulating RPC-2 drive with region 1!

Downloading the updated version using the -r disc didn't work, but I then did what you suggested with a +R disc and changing the quality to DVD-Rom and it WORKED like a CHARM!!
Thanks for all your help!

Downloading the updated version using the -r disc didn't work, but I then did what you suggested with a +R disc and changing the quality to DVD-Rom and it WORKED like a CHARM!!
Thanks for all your help!

No problem. I'm glad it worked. :clap:

concerning the cdfreaks thread

I have a couple of quick comments:

1. Clonedvd is not developed by Slysoft--but by Elaborate Bytes. So, I feel the title of the thread at cdfreaks is misleading. Slysoft is a reseller of Clonedvd. Elaborate Bytes is the official developer.

2. I find it hard to believe that Clonedvd is writing to dvd+r media differently than dvd-r media. The only difference is the booktype being changed on +R media to "dvd-rom". Doing so allows the Samsung player to play the Clonedvd backups. If the Samsung standalone dvd player is specifically blocking Clonedvd, it seems a bit silly to not block backups that have been bitset to "dvd-rom" as well. Given that this is the only difference (booktype), I fail to see what Macrovision has to do with this issue.

3. I have no issues playing dvd-r blank media burned by Clonedvd in several different standalone dvd players. If "Macrovision" were getting back at "Slysoft", surely the dvd-r backups produced by Clonedvd wouldn't play in most (or the vast majority) of dvd players.

4. The only conclusions that can be safely made are that other programs may produce backups differently than Clonedvd and that certain standalone dvd players may be more limiting than others.

If someone wants some official feedback on this Samsung/Clonedvd issue, I encourage him or her to contact Elaborate Bytes: visit http://elby.ch/products/clone_dvd/contact.html

Later,

Webslinger

Last edited:
Personally, I think the Samsung player is the issue, as I've read reports elsewhere suggesting Samsung dvd players can be very finicky with some media and discs. I cannot imagine why a manufacturer or chip maker would try to identify the program used to burn a disc for purposes of deciding whether or not to permit playback. I expect the dvd-r disc being discussed has macrovision = off - so the macrovision circuitry in the player should not even be activated?

Is there any chance something is problematic with the region designation of the dvd-r disc vs. the player?

i wouldnt guess that the player tries to identify the burning program or if the movie originally had protections.

i would guess simply that the player is just designed only to read dvd-rom discs. so once the bittype is set to dvd-rom it works fine, but if its dvd-r or dvd+r it wont work.

i wouldnt guess that the player tries to identify the burning program or if the movie originally had protections.

i would guess simply that the player is just designed only to read dvd-rom discs. so once the bittype is set to dvd-rom it works fine, but if its dvd-r or dvd+r it wont work.

That doesn't really explain this, however: http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=224544

But again, if this is a Macrovision issue, someone needs to explain why the issue does not affect most dvd players--and why the only difference in the Clonedvd backup is booktype. Moreover, this issue has nothing to do with Slysoft.

Last edited:
i see.

would the samsung players be using a new version of protection or firmware?

i see.

would the samsung players be using a new version of protection or firmware?

That is possible.

It seems to me that if this were a Macrovision issue, dvd-r backups produced by Clonedvd would not work in most standalone dvd players (especially newer ones).

There may be an issue with the manner in which Clonedvd burns backups, given that Nero and dvdfab's dvd-r backups work in the Samsung standalone dvd player. I'm skeptical, however, that this issue has anything to do with Macrovision, given the Samsung player will play Clonedvd dvd+rs booktyped to "dvd-rom", unless the protection check (which is likely located in the Samsung player's firmware) is only meant to hinder neophytes.

If all newer Sony, Panasonic, Pioneer, etc., standalone dvd players are unable to play dvd-r backups produced by Clonedvd, then Elaborate Bytes does need to take a closer look at this issue (and, in that case, C0deKing may very well be correct).

Last edited:
Quires to Samsung on this issue returns that it is a region issue. So I had to check, Nero locks the region 1 thru 6 and CloneDVD always is reported by AnyDVD as region free, regardless of whether it is a –R or a bit set +R. If there is a way to lock the region code in CloneDVD I missed it. Could this issue with Samsung and CloneDVD be as simple as requiring the disk to be region locked?

Quires to Samsung on this issue returns that it is a region issue. So I had to check, Nero locks the region 1 thru 6 and CloneDVD always is reported by AnyDVD as region free, regardless of whether it is a –R or a bit set +R. If there is a way to lock the region code in CloneDVD I missed it. Could this issue with Samsung and CloneDVD be as simple as requiring the disk to be region locked?

Considering +R Clonedvd backups that have been booktyped to dvd-rom play perfectly fine in Samsung dvd players (and given that these backups produced by Anydvd/Clonedvd are region free), I fail to see how this is a region coding issue--unless the Samsung firmware checks to see if a disc is both region free and not booktyped to "dvd-rom". Given that another competitor's dvd-r backups are also region free (and work in Samsung dvd players), I would remain skeptical that region coding is the problem here.

Here's what someone at Elaborate Bytes has to say:

"If a DVD manufacturer would block our produced DVDs explicitly in their firmware we would be very happy about it. Since this is a criminal act that company could easily be sued by us for several billion dollars amends in all countries they sell their DVD players. Then we would take over that company as compensation and sell it for a dime to North Korea :)"

I am still skeptical about Macrovision specifically blocking Clonedvd backups in this case, but I suppose it's possible. If so, the method isn't very effective--or it's buggy.

Last edited:
do the other dvd burners automatically set the booktype to dvd-rom?
(although i seem to remember that you have to set that manually in nero)

do the other dvd burners automatically set the booktype to dvd-rom?

A number of burners do this automatically.

(although i seem to remember that you have to set that manually in nero)

I believe you can set Nero to set booktype to "dvd-rom" by default. dvd-r media's booktype can't be changed, obviously.

Back