• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

DVD movie copies ok but hangs up when playing

lfp2

DVD copies hang up usually start around 1 hour into the movie. Sometimes much nearer the tail end. Hanging up seems to get worse as it plays and eventually is so bad I have to quit. Some may have been copied a long time ago as i sometimes don't watch a movie for a long time after burning it. Could this be because of inferior media? I have been using cheap media from Office Depot. Imation, HP. TDK. I am not particular. I don't think Office Depot stocks High Quality DVD Media. But now that I am trying to watch movies I have had for a long time it is time I try to fix the problem because when I store a DVD I want to be fairly sure it is ok. I am pretty sure it is not hardware because I get this problem even on my new laptop when I tested a copy from it. At least once. I have bought new DVD burners when this started happening and I thought it fixed the problem. The new external burner seemed to fix the problem at least for a while. As I don't watch the DVD immediately I am not sure where and when I burned the disk. But I thought some of you who have been around for a while may be able to pinpoint the solution from past experience. I am pretty sure it is not unique just to me. I tried using the Phillips lens cleaner with no success but I am not positive it is working right either. So it may not have actually done it's job. So should I go blow another 12 or 15 dollars on a new lens cleanbe before doing something else whatever that might be? I have a lot of movies I'd like to know how they end.

Have a nice day

Lfp2

Could this be because of inferior media?

Yes

Try some Taiyo Yudens (not Valuline, not Tru Blu, not Linkyo, since I don't know what Linkyo is) from www.supermediastore.com

Or Try some Verbatim DatalifePlus from www.Newegg.com

from Frequently Asked Questions (READ BEFORE YOU POST!)

6. Why are my backups freezing, hanging, skipping, or showing a blocky pixellated mess during playback?

1. Update your burner's firmware (if available)
http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=18731

2. Use good quality media (Memorex, Ritek, Princo, Fuji, TDK from Costco, and Maxell that are not made in Japan are not good quality media). Are you using inferior blank media? If you're not using Taiyo Yuden (not valueline), Verbatim Datalife Plus, or Maxell Broadcast Quality, then chances are the answer is yes.
If you use poor quality blank media, then you should expect problems.

For +R DL blank media, use Verbatim made in Singapore or MAM-A 8x +R DL.

3. Try lowering your burn speed (not below 4x; if you have a 16x burner and 16x rated media try writing to it at 12x instead of 16x; an 8x burn speed on 16x rated media wouldn't be a bad idea either)

For +R DL blank media, try a 4x burn speed. Do not burn at maximum.

4. If you're using +R, +RW, or +R DL media, change the booktype to "dvd-rom" before burning:
http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=476 (step 3)

5. Avoid sticker labels (they tend to cause problems)

6. Try setting a custom size of 4300 in Clonedvd (but if you're using good media, you shouldn't have to) if you're using regular single layer dvd-5 (4.7GB) discs.

7. Download Nero cd-dvd speed. It's a free program. Select the tab labeled "scandisc". Insert the problematic backup disc, select the appropriate drive letter, and click "start". If Nero cd-dvd speed reports read errors, your backup is bad (which is the most likely case), your optical drive may be slowly dying, or your optical drive simply doesn't like the disc (or your choice of blank media)--even if the disc looks fine.

Bad burn quality is notorious around the end of discs (see step 6)
and also at layer breaks when using low quality DL media (use Verbatim +R DL media made in Singapore or MAM-A 8x +R DL, and change the booktype to "dvd-rom")

Also, check the preview screen in Clonedvd to ensure you're backing up the proper title.

read http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=29302 fully please (follow the steps, step by step, including 5A, 5B, and 5C)

So should I go blow another 12 or 15 dollars on a new lens cleanbe before doing something else whatever that might be?

No. An additional $10-$30 gets you a new internal burner anyway.

Last edited:
DVD copies hang up usually start around 1 hour into the movie. Sometimes much nearer the tail end. Hanging up seems to get worse as it plays and eventually is so bad I have to quit. Some may have been copied a long time ago as i sometimes don't watch a movie for a long time after burning it. Could this be because of inferior media? I have been using cheap media from Office Depot. Imation, HP. TDK. I am not particular. I don't think Office Depot stocks High Quality DVD Media. But now that I am trying to watch movies I have had for a long time it is time I try to fix the problem because when I store a DVD I want to be fairly sure it is ok. I am pretty sure it is not hardware because I get this problem even on my new laptop when I tested a copy from it. At least once. I have bought new DVD burners when this started happening and I thought it fixed the problem. The new external burner seemed to fix the problem at least for a while. As I don't watch the DVD immediately I am not sure where and when I burned the disk. But I thought some of you who have been around for a while may be able to pinpoint the solution from past experience. I am pretty sure it is not unique just to me. I tried using the Phillips lens cleaner with no success but I am not positive it is working right either. So it may not have actually done it's job. So should I go blow another 12 or 15 dollars on a new lens cleanbe before doing something else whatever that might be? I have a lot of movies I'd like to know how they end.

Have a nice day

Lfp2
Hi you do not mention what version of Clonedvd you are using, I had a very similar problem a few months ago using the previous version of Clonedvd they would run for an hour then hang up. I also found if I made a second or third copy they would run fine. ( I am using version 2.9.2.2 now) . I tried everything I could think of including verious types of media and different burn speeds. When the latest version of clonedvd came out my problem ended. I have a friend that bought an identical computer as I did and he had no trouble with either version. I am thinking that maybe my download of Clonedvd had a few errors in it and I should have tried downloading and reinstalling again to see if that would have fixed my problem.
Worth a try!
Sure hope you get it working, I know what a pain it can be. Webslinger worked very hard with me trying to help and I am sure he can help you.
Keep trying.

Hi you do not mention what version of Clonedvd you are using, I had a very similar problem a few months ago using the previous version of Clonedvd they would run for an hour then hang up

lfp2's problem is with playback of backups made a long time ago. Clonedvd is not hanging. Playback of the burned disc is hanging. Clonedvd versions do not pertain to this situation. But if you are interested, a new Clonedvd beta version exists: click http://forum.slysoft.com/showpost.php?p=208417&postcount=1

DVD copies hang up usually start around 1 hour into the movie. Sometimes much nearer the tail end. Hanging up seems to get worse as it plays and eventually is so bad I have to quit. Some may have been copied a long time ago

The problem is that with cheap junk (blank media), burned discs may not last very long at all. Blank discs contain organic dye that degrades over time. If your burn is good initially (blank disc quality does matter here), the disc may still play for a long duration even as the blank disc begins to slowly degrade. When using cheap junk, discs that once played fine may (note that I said "may" not "will") fail to play properly in less than 6 months.

Last edited:
2922 version

I keep up with the current version of clonedvd. I am probably wrong to call them cheap because I go to a regular dealer like Office Depot, Pay the price and assume it is a good product. I'd like to somewhere who has compared the various qualities but they change suppliers etc so something checked today may not be the same tomorrow. Sony makes (or did) GC for Fry's which has been the cheapest dvd that I know of. But sony can flop too. Now when copying dvd's I don't use GC when this problem started showing up. That was at least a year ago. I have even copied a dvd that hangs up and the copy works ok. Go Figure! That was only once. I'll really get down to finding out now that the problem is more wide spread than I thought it was.

Have a nice day

hanging up is current

"lfp2's problem is with playback of backups made a long time ago. Clonedvd is not hanging. Playback of the burned disc is hanging. Clonedvd versions do not pertain to this situation. But if you are interested, a new Clonedvd beta version exists: click http://forum.slysoft.com/showpost.ph...17&postcount=1"

This problem is current. It is happening now. Even a brand new laptop computer produced a copy that hung up. The first time the dvd writer was used. So that is why I began to suspect media.

Sony makes (or did) GC for Fry's which has been the cheapest dvd that I know of. But sony can flop too.

Sony is not necessarily good quality media, especially if it is made in Malaysia by Daxon.

Last edited:
Sony (Standard Oil of New York)

Yes, Sony is not necessarily any better than anything else. I have had several Sony products that did not perform well. I will now make a bunch of tests to check hardware and dvd performance to see if there is some sort of connection. BUMMER. I really have other things I'd like to do than spend time trying to fix this problem. But there is no point in watching movies where you cant see the end.

Have a nice day

lfp2

Trust me: it's worthwhile to switch to Taiyo Yuden (not Valueline or Trublue) or Verbatim DatalifePlus. Those are proven blank media choices.

Take care

Quote:Originally Posted by dbknox
Hi you do not mention what version of Clonedvd you are using, I had a very similar problem a few months ago using the previous version of Clonedvd they would run for an hour then hang up

lfp2's problem is with playback of backups made a long time ago. Clonedvd is not hanging. Playback of the burned disc is hanging. Clonedvd versions do not pertain to this situation. But if you are interested, a new Clonedvd beta version exists: click http://forum.slysoft.com/showpost.ph...17&postcount=1
That was my problem also it was hanging on playback and didn't matter what machine I played it back on.

who makes them?

Who sells those brands? And who makes them? Most DVD's marketed under a name like TDK don't have factories of their own but buy from someone like CMC Magnetics and resells. Same for GC. GC buy's from Sony and resells. Who makes them for Sony is anyone's guess. Imation buys from Ritek, HP has disks made by CMC Magnetics. So I wonder who makes those brands you mentioned. I suppose I would have to buy them online as I have not seen them in any retail stores but I have not been looking. Now I will have to start. All this advice is really appreciated. It's time I get this straightened out. I burned two today without incident but for a change I decided not to copy without washing first.

Have a nice day

Who sells those brands?

I just listed a bunch of links, previously.

And who makes them?

Taiyo Yuden makes Taiyo Yuden in Japan and is widely well-known and well-regarded for years in the burning community (with some caveats).

Verbatim is a subsidiary of Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation. Its main plant is in Singapore. Unlike Memorex and other junk blank media, Verbatim does not outsource to the lowest bidder. If another company makes blank media that is sold under Verbatim's label, it must meet Verbatim's high standards, which are higher than most. So the CMC made discs that are sold by Verbatim are typically of a higher quality than those that are sold under other labels, for example.

If Verbatim is made in Singapore, it's "real" Verbatim. These are hard to find now.
If you can find Verbatim made in Singapore, buy them.

If Verbatim is made in Japan, it's made by Taiyo Yuden.

If Verbatim is made in Taiwan, it is either made by CMC or Prodisc.

If Verbatim is made in India, it is made by Moser Baer.

And I just listed these in, what I consider to be, the order of preference. Sometimes Moser Baer made Verbatim isn't too bad. It depends.

Regardless, Verbatim Datalife Plus (the "plus" denotes Verbatim's premium line) is trustworthy.

Most DVD's marketed under a name like TDK don't have factories of their own but buy from someone like CMC Magnetics and resells.

Yes, and worse still, most consumers who find TDK, especially in places like Costco, are receiving "B" grade discs.

Last edited:
That was my problem also it was hanging on playback and didn't matter what machine I played it back on.

Oh? I must have misread your previous troubleshooting threads moments ago, sorry. Anyway, Clonedvd 2.9.2.2 has been extremely stable for single layer backups.

Blank disks

OK, I'll keep a record of you information. I have a hunch that changing disc suppliers will probably fix the problem. You gotta remember though I don't want to keep a movie I just want to watch it. So I don't want to spend a lot of money but if I have to upgrade then I will upgrade.
Verbatim has generally been available but I have not looked recently for any around here.

Have a nice day.

lfp2

Back