• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

DVD drive suddenly not reading burned discs

sko

Hey there.

I'm hoping someone may be able to help me. I'm beginning to wonder if this issue might be AnyDVD-related.

Unfortunately, I have one of the crappy Matshita DVD +- RW drives in my Dell XPS M1330 laptop. Even though it's a crappy drive, it's worked well up until now.

The issue is that the drive will no longer read burned DVD's. It will read the commercial DVD fine - so does AnyDVD - and CloneDVD will rip and burn it just fine...based on the fact that the burned disc works on other computers and standalone DVD players.

I'm thoroughly confused and, of course, Dell couldn't help me at all - after an hour and a half wasted with technical support yahoo's. My operating system (Windows Vista Home Premium 32bit) seems to be reading the DVD drive correctly and Device Manager shows everything as working properly as well.

Also, AnyDVD is correctly recognizing the drive in it's list of available drives - both region codes are properly set to Region 1 (USA). I'm using the most recent version of AnyDVD - 6.4.3.2.

While I didn't pay close attention, it seems this issue began after installing the latest version. The previous version worked perfectly as I ripped/burned several movies and they played fine on my laptop.

So - with all of that said, does anyone have any thoughts about this issue? I haven't been able to locate any related issues on the forum so forgive me in advance if I missed something.

Sorry for the long post and thanks for any help you can offer.

-Sko :rock:Rock on!

Right click and exit AnyDVD. Then you'll see that the drive still can't read them. I suspect the drive is failing.

-W

Matshita drives really are junk, and it may be slowly dying. But read below as well . . .

from Frequently Asked Questions (READ BEFORE YOU POST)

12. My backups play on my computer or standalone dvd player, but not in something else. Why?

First, if the backup is playing in a standalone dvd player or on your computer, that means Anydvd and whatever backup program you used worked.

The most common reason why you're having this problem (if the backup doesn't work in a standalone dvd player) is due to a compatibility issue between the blank media you're using and whatever you're using to play the backup in (standalone dvd player, for example). Basically your dvd player, dvd-rom drive, etc. doesn't like the blank media you're using (or if you're using +R media, you didn't change the booktype to "dvd-rom"). You can try choosing other blank media (+r instead of -r, for example, and change the booktype to "dvd-rom")--or buy a different standalone dvd player (or a different dvd-rom drive, burner, etc.).

If you're using dvd-r media and your standalone dvd player gives you a message similar to ""Play Prohibited, please check disc", use dvd+r media instead and change the booktype to "dvd-rom" (see "b)" below).

a) Are you using junk blank media? If you're not using Taiyo Yuden (not Valueline), Verbatim, Maxell Plus, or Maxell Broadcast Quality, then chances are the answer to this question is "yes". If you use +R DL blank media use Verbatim +R DL (made in Singapore) or MAM-A 8x +R DL only
b) Click this and read FULLY (especially take a look at point 4 for more information on bitsetting/booktyping, but all points are very important)

The same factors also apply to why the backup doesn't play in your computer (but there can be other factors including buggy or poorly installed dvd player software, bad drivers, etc.).

It's also possible the playback device/player you're using is slowly dying.

Thanks for all the quick replies! I agree that my drive must be slowly dying. My computer is still under warranty but Dell was giving me push-back about sending out a new one for some reason. They believe it's corrupted software someone within the OS. While I don't want to totally dismiss their interpretation, it seems a bit odd that everything has worked perfectly for the entire time I've had the laptop up until now. That's why I wondered if it might have anything to do with the newest version of AnyDVD.

Updating to the latest release is the only software or hardware change I've made to my laptop recently. I realize it may be just a conicidence but this issue didn't start until I updated to 6.4.3.2. 6.4.2.2 - or whatever the previous version was - worked perfectly...along with every other version before it.

Finally, I've always used Sony DVD+R blank media...been using it for a couple years now since I've had great luck with them. I'm not sure if they're a quality disc or not - I just know they seem to work for me. :)

Any other ideas to try other than getting a new drive? I've never experienced this issue before. None of my ripped/burned discs play.

How could a drive that's 'going bad' read the commercial discs perfectly every time but not read the ripped ones at all? How could it also rip and burn them perfectly but not read them afterwards? I'm confused...

Thanks again for the help. I really enjoy Slysoft's products!

-Sko

Finally, I've always used Sony DVD+R blank media...been using it for a couple years now since I've had great luck with them. I'm not sure if they're a quality disc or not

Mediocre (especially if not made in Japan by Taiyo Yuden)

Any other ideas to try other than getting a new drive?

Yes.

1. Update your burner's firmware (if available)
http://forum.slysoft.com/showpost.php?p=12794&postcount=10

2. Use good quality media (Memorex, Ritek, Princo, Fuji, TDK from Costco, and Maxell that are not made in Japan are not good quality media). Are you using inferior blank media? If you're not using Taiyo Yuden (not Valueline), Verbatim, Maxell Plus, or Maxell Broadcast Quality, then chances are the answer is yes.
If you use poor quality blank media, then you should expect problems.

For +R DL blank media, use Verbatim made in Singapore or MAM-A 8x +R DL.

3. Try lowering your burn speed a little (if you have a 16x burner and 16x rated media try writing to it at 12x or 8x instead of 16x)

4. If you're using +R, +RW, or +R DL media, change the booktype to "dvd-rom"
http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=476 (step 3)

5. Avoid sticker labels (they tend to cause problems)

6. Try setting a custom size of 4300 in whatever burning program you're using (but if you're using good media, you shouldn't have to) if you're using regular single layer dvd-5 (4.7GB) discs.

7. Download Nero cd-dvd speed. It's a free program. Select the tab labeled "scandisc". Insert the problematic backup disc, select the appropriate drive letter, and click "start". If Nero cd-dvd speed reports read errors, your backup is bad (which is the most likely case), your optical drive may be slowly dying, or your optical drive simply doesn't like the disc (or your choice of blank media)--even if the disc looks fine.

Bad burn quality is notorious around the end of discs (see step 6)
and also at layer breaks when using low quality DL media (use Verbatim +R DL media made in Singapore or MAM-A 8x +R DL, and change the booktype to "dvd-rom")

How could a drive that's 'going bad' read the commercial discs perfectly every time but not read the ripped ones at all?

Two factors exist:

a) Burned discs die over time; so they may be starting to go (I've seen junk discs die in under 6 months)
It's also possible your burn quality wasn't good to begin with, which doesn't help with reading. Some drives/players are better readers than others.

b) All drives die over time. They weaken; lasers go out of spec

Use good quality blank media and use better quality drives.

Last edited:
Webslinger-

Thanks for all the fantastic info! There's a lot of helpful stuff in there. I will check out each of the links you supplied. I'm hoping there will be updated firmware available. I've been searching online all evening and haven't yet had any luck. I'm learning the hard way about these aptly-named Mat-shit-a drives. ;)

Regarding blank media, I used to use Verbatim all the time. Honestly, I don't know why I switched. I never checked where they were made though. Rest assured, I'll be using different media going forward.

For DL, I've always used Verbatim. Obviously, I'll continue using them in the future.

One last question if you don't mind...

Would you have any recommendations on where I might find decent slot-loading DVD +-RW DL drives for my laptop? I'm sure any replacement drive I would get from Dell would only be a small step up. I know they're no longer using the Matshita drives but I can't remember the newest ones they're using.

I've never shopped for - or replaced - a slot-loading DVD drive before. I've replaced just about everything else in a computer so I can't imagine it would be overly difficult. I just don't know enough about them...such as the best brand names, best quality, what to look for in a 'good' price, etc.

Thanks again for all your help. Everyone's replies were/are appreciated!

-Sko

Would you have any recommendations on where I might find decent slot-loading DVD +-RW DL drives for my laptop? I'm sure any replacement drive I would get from Dell would only be a small step up. I know they're no longer using the Matshita drives but I can't remember the newest ones they're using.

I doubt I live in the same location that you do, so in terms of finding something, no I don't have suggestions. My overall impression of laptop optical disc drives is even lower than my impression of desktop optical drives. Many are becoming lower in cost, and consequently build quality has gone downhill.

I think Dell carries the samsung laptop drives now, don't they? Why not ask for one? They're better than the Matshitas at least. Perhaps you should ask in the cd/dvd drives forum: http://forum.slysoft.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25

I am not terribly fond of recommending burners.

Hi Sko, I too have dell laptop mine is a inspiron/2200
sonic NEC- DVD+RW _ ND 6650 A

and i think my model is a couple years older than your & my burner still burn dvd. but to get your problem..

Have you try uninstalling anydvd & seeing if your DVD plays than also have you updated any new firmware of lately or have not update firmware that you may need

if your burner is bad & your warrantly is still in play with dell make sure you removed anydvd & clonedvd from your computer when you send it back. because i know a friend who sent his laptop back to dell & it had AD & CD on it and Dell voided his warrantly statein' problems was due to those two programs & that what burn it out or corrupted it.

Which is untrue anydvd & cloneDVD are the best around but Dell is kind of funny that way.especially when a warrantly is involved.

Hello again everyone.

Just in case anyone else runs into the same issue as me and is searching for answers, I thought I'd let you know how I resolved this situation.

Ultimately, it seems the DVD drive was going bad. It would read commercial, pressed, DVD's and CD's just fine but wouldn't read anything that had been burned...DVD or CD. However, it would rip and burn then just fine. :doh:

Since my laptop is still under warranty with Dell, I called and asked them to exchange it for a new one...which they did. I have to admit, Dell has been relatively good to work with from a support perspective lately. I hate having issues with my computers but the reality is they will break from time to time.

A couple weeks ago, my Nvidia graphics card went out on the same laptop. Little did I know, the GeForce 8400M GS is actually soldered onto the motherboard. Since it's not an integrated card, I didn't think it would be soldered to the board. However, since it was, they had to replace the entire motherboard.

Now, the DVD drive had issues...mainly because it's a crappy Matshita drive.

All that said, Dell sent a local computer repair professional to my house to do the repairs. In each case, the graphics card/motherboard and the DVD drive, the parts were overnighted and the repair technician was on the phone and at my house the next day.

I've had my fair share of issues with Dell - as many of us have experienced - but I'd have to say I'm fairly happy with them as of late. I throw up in my mouth a little bit every time I compliment them...weird. :)

The only negative in the entire situation is that the drive was replaced with yet another crappy Matshita drive. I begged for a different one - the only other option was an HLDS drive - but the Tech. Support person must not have been able to accommodate my request. He said his computer system wouldn't let him select a specific brand of replacement drive but he added notes indicating I wanted something other than a Matshita. I guess that doesn't work within Dell's process for replacing hardware.

Thanks again for everybody's help. I'm still likely to go out and find my own replacement drive but I'll wait until this one has problems - which I'm sure will happen in the near future.

Also, a big THANK YOU to everyone at Slysoft for your great software. I've been a supporter for a long time and will continue in the future.

Just hurry up and create a Bluray ripping program already! Just call it 'CloneHD'. :)

Best wishes...

-Sko

Hopefully ....

I am posting here even though this is an old thread and hoping someone will see it ...

I too am having this problem. And because I read this thread, I got out an external burner thinking my internal was wearing out, plugged it in and tried that. That one didn't read them either. It will read and rip store bought so I can make my back ups on my HD, but it cannot read or even see a burned DVD or even a blank one! This was happening not only with my internal drive (came with my HP, don'y know what kind it is) AND an external burner plugged in to the USB (an HP external). This started right after I updated my AnyDVD about four days ago. I tried going back to the older version, also thinking it was the update that might have done it, but no luck. I also did the "uninstall" "reinstall" thingie ... no luck there either.:confused:

Anyone have any updated help for this or suggestions why neither one of my burners will work? I was going to replace the internal until the other was doing the same thing. Now I am not as convinced that the internal is wearing out.

Thank you anyone!:)
Ang

And if you exit out of AnyDVD (right click on the fox icon and choose 'exit') can the disc then be read in Windows? If not then it's nothing to do with AnyDVD.
Also I wouldn't be surprised if your HP drives can't read things very well as HP are notorious for using the cheapest drives around and then charging over the top for them

Last edited:
I can understand one of them going bad, but both of them at the EXACT same time on the exact same day, randomly, they just both pull a pisser? Like I said, I am not saying it is AnyDVD ... I don't believe it is because going back to a previous version didn't fix it. I have another burner ... when I return this evening I will try that one. But if that one doesn't read also, then it HAS to be something else. I can't have THREE drives all crapping out at the same time. The one in the drawer has been used maybe four times and is still in it's original packaging for storage. I'll give that a whorl and see what happens.

Oh, and a PS ... yes, the discs are being read not only by the computer but by my DVD player and PS3 ... so the discs themselves are fine.

having multiple drives fail is indeed unlikely, the other thing however isn't. Bad discs come in batches as they are pressed and not burned. Meaning bad spots for a batch are always in the exact same spot, and yes that IS possible. Happens quite often really, just because a disc looks fine and plays fine does not mean it's fine for ripping.

I have approximately 200 backed up movies ... so I should jump around in the box and see how many fail? I used many packs of discs to finally get them all backed up buying a pack here and there as money allowed. It's weird. All I want to do is back them up to my HD and it was going along just fine. Then all of a sudden, I couldn't get the drive to recognize anything but a commercial disc. Not even a blank disc for ripping! Nothing. :-(((

Back