• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

DVD Drive Letter Assignment

barney_g

Hello,

Since I don't use floppy drives any longer, I've assigned my 2 DVD burners to A and B, (heck, might as well make use of them right?) with my for 4 hard drives to follow C-F.

However, AnyDVD cannot see the DVD burners when assigned to those letters. If will see them if I assign them to drive letters after C: however.

Does anyone know a way to get AnyDVD to recognize DVD burners at those locations?

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling AnyDVD to see if would work, but no luck.

Thanks

In the disk management section of the Control panel, you can assign any letter to any drive.

I've already done that. However, the only program with a problem with it is AnyDVD

barney_g,
To the best of my knowledge, as mentioned above by oldjoe, Windows reserves A & B designations (as it integrates, with commands, to the actual hardware and connections on the motherboard) for floppy drives only. You are just changing drive lables in the Drive Management section of Windows.

I don't really know for a fact, but speaking deductively, your issue with AnyDVD may be that with backup software, programs may be able to use clever code to trick Windows into allowing an A/B desgnation to be recognized. But AnyDVD operates more on a driver level than a program level. It may, in order for it to decrypt and make use of it's other features, be integrated so tightly with Windows code requirements as to not allow for your desire to use A&B for your DVD drives. Or maybe it's just as simple as Slysoft never thought of allowing for that, being that it may never have occurred to them that anyone would want to assign optical drives to A&B. I don't know. Again, this is speculation on my part.

(heck, might as well make use of them right?)
I suggest that it is personal choice but there is no real reason that you have to assign A & B at all. Just assign a letter "higher" than C. It's pretty much traditional to assign optical drive letters to be the last after HDD's and their partitions.

Best regards,
Whisperer

Last edited:
It seems that I was mistaken. I found this from MS......."Drive letters A and B are reserved for floppy disk drives. However, if your computer does not have a floppy disk drive, you can assign these letters to removable drives."
"Removable Drives" might refer ONLY to storage drives and not Optical drives.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307844

Thanks for the help guys.

I guess I just follow the current "tradition".

I really appreciate your feedback

Back