• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

DVD Collection Software

Lubslimegreen

Hi,

I have a question and thought I would ask you all since I figure you all are movie buffs like myself. I have 900+ dvd's and I'm looking for a good software program that would allow me to keep track of what I have and what I don't have (I've ended up with multiples a time or five...LOL).

Thanks for any and all help and suggestions!!!

~Lubs

Hi,

I have a question and thought I would ask you all since I figure you all are movie buffs like myself. I have 900+ dvd's and I'm looking for a good software program that would allow me to keep track of what I have and what I don't have (I've ended up with multiples a time or five...LOL).

~Lubs

This is the BEST Movie cataloging software out there. I've tried several and nothing outdoes Collectorz's Movie Collector! http://www.collectorz.com/movie/

They also have others, like music, comic, game, book, etc.. You can check out the others here: http://www.collectorz.com/

BTW, they also have forums similar to Slysoft! :agree:

Hi,

~Lubs

What I do (probably not ideal for most people) is just keep an Excel spreadsheet. I even have a VBscript macro that will show cover art for the DVD selected. The picture will change as the line selected changes. I have separate sheets for movies and TV shows. It's simple, but it services it's function.

DVD Profiler

Hi,

~Lubs

I have been using DVD Profiler for years. http://www.invellos.com/

Get one bookcase located in your audio sound room and put your 900+ DVD's in standard size CD cases. with pictures on front and back and spline identification.

A to Z filing system, black label spline printing are standard definition and red label spline printing are Blu-ray disks.

Works great and very fast to get the disk you are looking for. Friends call it a DVD library.:)

Until your friends put back the disks out of order....hence the ELECTRONIC library!?

What I do (probably not ideal for most people) is just keep an Excel spreadsheet. I even have a VBscript macro that will show cover art for the DVD selected. The picture will change as the line selected changes. I have separate sheets for movies and TV shows. It's simple, but it services it's function.

That's the method I used so far I have multiple 320 dvd holders of which I label each holders 1...2...3...4...xxx and so on and then use Excel spreedsheet and manual input each volumes or series onto the spreedsheet and a placement number of which holders they belong in and at the end do a sort by name order and with the reference holder number at the end of each series or title I can locate the holder and the movie that is in order in each holder and find the correct one. Unless you have a massive online at home dvd changer or something like that keeping in order is a huge task when the collection begins to get big.

...I have 900+ dvd's and I'm looking for a good software program that would allow me to keep track of what I have and what I don't have

I'm currently using a free and open source program called Ant Movie Catalog to manage my DVD/Blu-ray library of 1050 movies. (Donations are accepted). It includes a substantial library of scripts for downloading movie information from internet sources around the world. It's done a good job of keeping me from buying duplicates.

The attached image is a bit small (all that's allowed) but should give you an idea of what it looks like.

Attachments

• AntMovieCat.jpg
    AntMovieCat.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
I use an iPhone app called MyBoxOffice the interesting part is it will use the barcode scan to look up the movie info. You can also manually enter upc code or movie title. It has a built in web server (minimal) but can export the info into csv format. Plus since the db is on your phone you have it with you when shopping.

Right now I am using Excel (without VBScript) for my cataloging.

I was originally using Excel for my library too. Don't flame me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure I was able to import that Excel library into AMC (Ant Movie Catalog) as a starting point. I didn't have any thumbnails in Excel though but AMC can do those too. In fact, I export a subset of the data back to that same Excel file (.CSV) so that's it's still as up-to-date as the AMC catalog even today...just in case. That should make it a no-brainer for you to try. :agree:

(As always, backup your data before trying anything new.)

Last edited:
I was originally using Excel for my library too. Don't flame me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure I was able to import that Excel library into AMC (Ant Movie Catalog) as a starting point. I didn't have any thumbnails in Excel though but AMC can do those too. In fact, I export a subset of the data back to that same Excel file (.CSV) so that's it's still as up-to-date as the AMC catalog even today...just in case. That should make it a no-brainer for you to try. :agree:

(As always, backup your data before trying anything new.)

With over 5,000 backed up DVDs in 60+ zippered CD wallet cases and an Excel "database" that is nearly 2 years out of date, importing the contents my current catalog is not a high priority. I did download the AMC installer, haven't installed it yet. This weekend when I have some free time on my computer I will install it and see what it has to offer.

Hopefully AMC will let me add custom fields because I keep track of data points not of interest to the average person creating/updating a DVD catalog when I back up a DVD: what type of DVD is required (dual layer vs. single layer), where I got the DVD from and other data points that are important to me and probably only me.

Thumbnail art is far down the list of what I want in a DVD catalog program. Now if the program was able to display case and label artwork I might be interested in the artwork portion of the program.

With over 5,000 backed up DVDs in 60+ zippered CD wallet cases and an Excel "database" that is nearly 2 years out of date, importing the contents my current catalog is not a high priority.
With a Library that big getting a head start even a two year out-of-date one seems like it would save you a lot of effort.

Hopefully AMC will let me add custom fields

I can confirm custom fields are easily do-able but, I think they're on a secondary page though. I actually use some of the un-used fields (un-used by me) on the first page to store some of that kind of custom information.

Thumbnail art is far down the list of what I want in a DVD catalog program. Now if the program was able to display case and label artwork I might be interested in the artwork portion of the program.
The front cover is the default. I'm not sure what you can do with the custom fields (haven't tried that part) but that would seem like the best option for the rest. You can create or use custom templates to control the display of your data too.

With a Library that big getting a head start even a two year out-of-date one seems like it would save you a lot of effort.

Two years out of date and even back then only had records on about 1/3 of the collection, I was lazy about entering data points. Now the discrepancy is much larger. I know I have a lot of work to do no matter what. *sigh*

I can confirm custom fields are easily do-able but, I think they're on a secondary page though. I actually use some of the un-used fields (un-used by me) on the first page to store some of that kind of custom information.

The layout (one page, two page, etc.) is not all that important (to me at least) as long as there is a way of adding, or as you do reuse, data fields.

Now I really do want to test it out and see if it fits my needs for a less cumbersome way of cataloging my collection. :)

With over 5,000 backed up DVDs in 60+ zippered CD wallet cases and an Excel "database" that is nearly 2 years out of date, importing the contents my current catalog is not a high priority. I did download the AMC installer, haven't installed it yet. This weekend when I have some free time on my computer I will install it and see what it has to offer.

Hopefully AMC will let me add custom fields because I keep track of data points not of interest to the average person creating/updating a DVD catalog when I back up a DVD: what type of DVD is required (dual layer vs. single layer), where I got the DVD from and other data points that are important to me and probably only me.

Why don't you try out, for FREE, CollectorZ Movie Collector? It has all those features and allot more. http://www.collectorz.com/movie/

And they have forums similar to Slysoft and they make improvements/add features (requests) a couple of times a year! It can also handle well over 8,000 DVDs. It is very RARE that you have a movie that isn't on the www database. It gives you all the info you need on the individual DVD, it tells you if its a DVD, Blu-Ray DVD, VHS, etc.. It handles TV series (episodic) very nicely. Export movie data to the CLZ Movies app for iPhone, iPad and Android
Browse your database and your wish list while on the road with the CLZ Movies mobile app for iPhone / iPod touch, iPad and Android. :rock:

I only use TRIAL software as a last resort, when a free program is totally ill-suited to my needs. So far AMC appears to do what I want of a MINIMAL DVD/BD catalog program, and free makes it really attractive. If I wanted IMO excessive bells and whistles I would see if Microsoft has a video media catalog program.

I'm currently using a free and open source program called Ant Movie Catalog to manage my DVD/Blu-ray library

I installed AMC, I played around with it for a bit, and I like it. The ability to EASILY add custom fields is sweet. What really "sold" me was the "check out/in" feature so you can track loaning out your discs. Being free doesn't hurt either, I am one cheap person. ;)

Now comes the major push to import my excel data to AMC. Because of how I stored things in my excel catalogs I can't just select the excel files, Oh well, I might actually get that "round toit" to get my catalog at least more complete than what it is now.

Thanks for the link, Sabertooth. :)

I am one cheap person. ;)
I don't mind paying for value (a good example is Slysoft's AnyDVD HD), but when there's a free AND open source alternative, I'm all over it.

What really "sold" me was the "check out/in" feature so you can track loaning out your discs.
The loan manager IS pretty neat but I really like the significant scripting library so you can pull data from the sources you like. I typically pull first from IMDB then get a cover from DVDEmpire and, finally, I prefer the descriptive text from AllMovieGuide. When a script breaks, as they do occassionally when a website changes, you can download updates for the entire set or individual scripts from a separate download area on the Ant Movie Catalog site. Don't find a script for the source you like, make your own script (and contribute it)!

Now comes the major push to import my excel data to AMC. Because of how I stored things in my excel catalogs I can't just select the excel files, Oh well, I might actually get that "round toit" to get my catalog at least more complete than what it is now.
I don't envy you that task! :aiee: Perhaps you can massage/merge the data you have into an easier to import format?

Thanks for the link, Sabertooth. :)
Good luck, we probably won't see you for a long while once you get started! :clap:

I'm currently using a free and open source program called Ant Movie Catalog to manage my DVD/Blu-ray library of 1050 movies. (Donations are accepted). It includes a substantial library of scripts for downloading movie information from internet sources around the world. It's done a good job of keeping me from buying duplicates.

The attached image is a bit small (all that's allowed) but should give you an idea of what it looks like.
Just tried this but could not import any dvds from my existing collection. Had a 'csv' list of upc's and it simply said it couldn't recognize anything :( With 2600+ titles I am not going to enter them again :)

Edited: I tried this again because of all the things said about it. I tried again and limited the columns in the csv (because AMC is so limited). It did download but with a minimal amount of information. Things like UPC (pretty important) are not included in the import process.

So guess I am still looking for something good.

Last edited:
Hi,

~Lubs

Just a suggestion. Enter "Disc Stakka" into your search engine.
This ain't chep, but it works.:)

Back