Dvd-5

Discussion in 'CloneDVD' started by Tommy, Jan 22, 2008.

1. Tommy

Tommy New Member

Should you always use DVD-5 when copying a movie? I noticed if I click on DVD+/-R I get a higher quality. Which should I use? Any help would be appreciated.

Tom:clap:

2. Webslinger

Webslinger Retired Moderator

If you are using single layer blank discs (4.7 GB), then you should select "dvd-5".

If you use Verbatim +R Double Layer blank discs (made in Singapore) or MAM-A 8x +R DL discs, which are 8.5GB, then you select "dvd+/- R DL" near the quality bar in Clonedvd.

3. cletusvegas

cletusvegas Active Member

Tom, if you think you're going to need dual layer disks, Sam's Club sells Verbatim 50 pack spindle for $70. That's the best price I've seen. This is assuming you are in the U.S.

I've found that a lot of movies, big epic movies like Lord of the Rings and such, you need dual layer. Some movies fit fine on DVD-5 (4.7GB) disks. I get those at Sam's also...100pk Verbatim DVD-R for $30.

I've found that when you try to shrink them to DVD-R, down to 75-80% look fine on a laptop or regular TV, on a big screen or HDTV I don't know.

If you don't care about previews, behind the scenes and stuff like that, you can choose the just copy the movie option in CloneDVD and that will save some space and avoid overcompression. It's all preference.

4. Webslinger

By the way,

dual = -R DL

double = +R DL

dual = fairly useless disc format

Now you know more than most salespeople that try to sell me blank media. :)

5. cletusvegas

cletusvegas Active Member

yes, the Verbatim "DL" are DVD+R DL...I use the term dual layer and double layer interchangeably but I guess that's wrong to do.

The Verbatim 4.7GB DVD-R and Verbatim 8.5GB DVD+R DL spindles that I buy at Sam's work out to be 30 cents per DVD-R and about $1.40 per DVD+R DL. Anyone who knows where I can get Verbatim disks cheaper than that, please post...especially DL because they are expensive.

The Verbatim disk work really well, I haven't had but one or two ever fail and the backups look great.

6. Webslinger

Unfortunately, I do not live in the U.S., so I don't know a source for you.

7. rbombardieri

rbombardieri New Member

I have been using memorex 8X DVD+R DL andf have many bad copies. movies lock up. Has anyone else had the same problem?. If not what brand are you using?

8. DrinkLyeAndDie

DrinkLyeAndDie Retired Moderator

Many many many people will bluntly tell you that Memorex blank media is garbage. Unfortunately, it's not all that surprising that you have many bad copies.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2008
  9. rbombardieri

rbombardieri New Member

What brand of dual do you prefer? I have used Sony -R for single and it has worked well.

10. DrinkLyeAndDie

DrinkLyeAndDie Retired Moderator

Sony is considered alright. Nothing special from what I've read. I'm definitely not an expert.

Check Webslinger's post in the CD/DVD Blanks forum here.