• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Dumping & Downgrading firmware on UHD Friendly Devices. (OUTDATED)

Teddy,

I am repeating myself and posted this already before. You should change your cook book with bold letters for DOSFLASH:

If it does not detect anything, retype again. It could be needed to type DOSFLASH 3-4 times before ASUS/LG device be properly detected.

Just as an aside, running those those files through xxd and diffing that output would make for easier viewing.

Just had Beyond Compare software installed, don't know other programs, was the "easiest" thing.
Thanks for the tip. :) I'll use xxd in the future for such things.

---
It might be (perhaps) that the EEPROM Data Mover is not always doing the proper thing in all cases (only anassumption)
{...}
For testing purposes I have used 1.02 BH16NS55 clean firmware, and importing 1.02 firmware dosflash dump into BH16NS55 1.02 clean firmware
{...}
Result: different checksums all to each other (from "dd" and Data Mover different, and also different to Original Dosflash dump)
--
For testing purposes I have used 1.03 BH16NS55 clean firmware, and importing 1.03 firmware Dosflash dump into BH16NS55 1.03 clean firmware
Result: Same checksums all to each other ("dd" and Data Mover , and even to the Original Dosflash dump)
{...}
I can't explain it 100% why on one matches, on the other not. I used same "dd" parameters (except different clean firmware number using, but same model)

Maybe "dd"/hexedit-method and Data_Mover.exe can differ in some occasions: But all working.
I tried out four different ways on my 2nd LG BH16BS55 (comig with 1.03) to downgrade it to FW 1.02:
Here examples:

1) I copied the Hex-ranges Teddy Raspin provided, from FW 1.03 Original Dosflash dump with "dd" into FW 1.02-Clean-firmware"
1) Erased EEPROM with Dosflash, and flashed it
1) Tested drive still reads Blu-ray and DVD. And firmware successfully been reported as FW 1.02.
1) And the drive's serial number still is the same as been reported in /dev/disk/by-id" :)

2) I used "Data_Mover.exe" to import Laser calibration data from FW-1.03-Original Dosflash dump into 1.02-Clean-firmware"
2) Erased EEPROM with Dosflash, and flashed it
2) Tested drive still reads Blu-ray and DVD. And drive firmware successfully been reported as FW 1.02.
2) The drive's serial number still is the same been reported in /dev/disk/by-id" :)

3) I copied the Hex-ranges Teddy Raspin provided, from FW 1.03 Original Dosflash dump with "dd" into a copy of Original Dosflash 1.02 dump from my other BH16NS55 (coming with 1.02)
3) Erased EEPROM with Dosflash, and flashed it
3) Tested drive still reads Blu-ray and DVD. And firmware successfully been reported as FW 1.02.
Still working even though it was not copied/imported into a Clean firmware
3) The drive's serial number still is the same been reported in /dev/disk/by-id" :)

4) I tried to used "Data_Mover.exe" to import Laser calibration data from FW 1.03 Original Dosflash dump into FW 1.02-Original-Dosflash-dump
4) Not working. Data_Mover.exe wants Clean firmware for importing ;)
---

Also tested what happens with 2nd drive when cloning the firmware, 1.02-Dosflash dump from 1st BH16NS55 into 2nd BH16NS55 drive's EEPROM (so it's a duplicate):

The 2nd BHD16NS55 now is reported in "/dev/disk/by-id" with identical drive serial number number (as expected), tested by plugging in it alone.

Also plugged in them both with identical fw at the same computer both at once.
Result: Just one BH16NS55 get's listed in "/dev/disk/by-id" (eg linked here to /dev/sr0 direct device node), the 2nd does not appear in "/dev/disk/by-id" (missing).

But interestingly there's still a direct device node adressed (/dev/sr1) to the counterpart with EEPROM-duplicate. Meaning I can't access the drive via "/dev/disk-by/id" but to " /dev/sr1" <=where the link is normally always poiting to.
So both drives even with firmware duplicate to each other still play DVD and Blu-ray when even when plugged in concurrently. Tested in Linux.

And I must apologise for my dumb expression, having difficulties. ;)

Last edited:
I usually build 2 computers a year, and I have not had one set to IDE in 5 years. They are all ACHI. You have to set that at the installation of Windows. I am not sure but I d'ont think it can be changed after installation is completed.

I usually build 2 computers a year, and I have not had one set to IDE in 5 years. They are all ACHI. You have to set that at the installation of Windows. I am not sure but I d'ont think it can be changed after installation is completed.

You can but it's not advised. You need to understand what you are doing and the implications. People can't expect to switch from AHCI to IDE and just boot into Windows like normal if this is done post OS install. In my opinion too many people are jumping on the bandwagon and doing things that they simply don't understand enough about. Not referring to you, RedFox 1, of course.

Once Mike Chen releases whatever magic he is working on things should become less complicated but there will remain to be inherent risk in playing with firmware flashing. It's always inherently risky to some degree.

Last edited:
@theosch

I've updated my guide, regarding the hex editing method as I've found some steps were ambiguous. ;)

It's all perfect now, in the meantime with your updated hexrange (corrected) for the "dd"/ hexidtor method in your guide.

I've tested your updated corrected hex-range.
Importing 1.02-Orig-Dump to 1.02-Clean-firmware via "dd"/hexeditor with your corrected hexrange: It is now matching also to the Data_Mover.exe

(Same with 1.03-Orig-Dump to 1.03-Clean-firmware ist still matching via "dd" also to the Data_Mover.exe as before, as wanted, so no unwanted side effect) :)
1.03-Orig-dump import to 1.02 clean firmware with your corrected hexrange via "dd"/hexeditor: now matches either to the Data_Mover.exe-method!!
---

Another thing:
You don't need to erase EEPROM extra manually before flashing new EEPROM bin-Image.
Dosflash.exe anyways erases EEPROM after pressing "W" button.
It even does this when you erased the EEPROM manually before, before pressing the "W" button.
(And that would be a waste of one unnecessary write cycle, which wears out the rest of the EEPROM's life span just faster) ;)

Last edited:
I now crossflashed my 2nd LG BH16NS55 SN 71XXXXXXXXXX unit to Asus BW-16D1HT.
On thing, there is no Asus BW-16D1HT 3.02 clean firmware, only BW-16D1HT 3.01 Clean firmware file.

So I imported your corrected hex-range from 2nd LG BH16NS55 SN 71XXXXXXXXXX FW 1.03 into Asus BW-16D1HT-3.01-clean-firmware file.
Also tested it with Data-Mover.exe having same checksum :)

Then flashed this on the 2nd BH16NS55 SN 71XXXXXXXXXX.
The drive now is recognized as Asus BW-16D1HT FW 3.01.

Then I used the Asus 3.02 update Utility. In fact it successfully updates without error message.
After Asus Update it now lists as Asus BW-16D1HT FW 3.02 The old LG serial number still is there as wanted.
Also made a dump from this.
Still Reading DVD and Blu-ray just fine.

(Maybe I'll update it to 3.03 with Asus utitliy and then try out your UHD-friendly-official-UHD-and-vice-versa-method on fw. 3.03)

The idea was to not just clone/crossflash over the 3.02 Original dump from BW16D1HT to BH16NS55,
so that the Original drive's serial number stays in the firmware, not the other SN from Asus unit cloned over, so when plugging in both at one, Linux lists both drives in "/dev/disk/by-id" (to not confuse which drive is /dev/sr0 and /dev/sr1 etc), and hope to improve ripping speed.

I'd like to ask if the crossflashed BH16NS55 drive to BW-16D1HT still in fact is using the "old" Laser calibration data from BH16NS55 fw 1.03?

Well if yes then I'd say no advantage crossflashing.
Except it was otherwise that the data for the faster ripping speed known with Asus firmware was outside of the hex-range imported from fw LG 1.03 .

There's no other more suitable way known to me to crossflash an LG drive unit to Asus firmware to have new/better Asus laser calibration data (faster ripping speed) from Asus firmware, as well staying with LG-drive's unit's original serial number.

Last edited:
Laser calibration data, as well as serial number are taken from the original firmware of your drive (in your case BH16NS55).

Anyway, Asus firmware is more accurate in reading UHD (and it is also faster in the ripping speed) than the BH16NS55, so I think it's better to use it if you want to save time. ;)

I'm having a hard time finding a computer with a bios that allows for for the sata port to be setup in any mode other than AHCI. Is there a way around this? I have mostly ASUS motherboards.

Many ASUS Motherboards allow to set SATA Controller as Legacy IDE (or simply Legacy) instead of AHCI/RAID. You have also to enable CSM under bios menu.

I just got an ASUS BW-16D1HT on firmware 3.00. Am I good to go or do I need to change firmware?

I just got an ASUS BW-16D1HT on firmware 3.00. Am I good to go or do I need to change firmware?

You are just fine using 3.00 although some people will tell you to update to 3.02. You can always update later if you wish to.

You are just fine using 3.00 although some people will tell you to update to 3.02. You can always update later if you wish to.

Ok thank you. I'm just scared to update and lock myself out of something because I missed some post. I don't know if I can do the downgrading procedure. So 3.02 is a safe flash and I don't lose / get locked out of anything? Thanks for you help and patience. I'm a n00b and trying to read up as much as possible!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok thank you. I'm just scared to update and lock myself out of something because I missed some post. I don't know if I can do the downgrading procedure. So 3.02 is a safe flash and I don't lose / get locked out of anything? Thanks for you help and patience. I'm a n00b and trying to read up as much as possible!

3.00, 3.01, and 3.02 are fine for the BW-16D1HT drive with AnyDVD. I've seen no one have any issues with firmware 3.00 and 3.01 but there are a few people that reported issues with 3.02 when using DeUHD but the drive still worked okay with AnyDVD & MakeMKV for decrypting UHDs. Personally, I don't see any urgent need to update to 3.02 although many people say it's the way to go. Just make sure to never update to 3.03 or newer. Version 3.03 definitely breaks UHD "friendliness", period.

I just ordered another LG BH16NS55 as back-up if my other one with 1.02 will fail some day. I'm quite curious with what version of firmware it will arrive. If 1.03 my plan is to make it an ASUS with 3.02.
I ordered a few of the Asus BW-16D1HT retail drives. With a $25 rebate they are 56.00 or something close to that. Even if the loophole is closed these are great Bluray drives to put in an enclosure. The prices of the friendly drives on Ebay shot up to almost 70 bucks, so I find these Asus Retail drives with a good warranty a great deal.
  • ASUS BW-16D1HT a(internal, manufactured 2015+)

3.00, 3.01, and 3.02 are fine for the BW-16D1HT drive with AnyDVD. I've seen no one have any issues with firmware 3.00 and 3.01 but there are a few people that reported issues with 3.02 when using DeUHD but the drive still worked okay with AnyDVD & MakeMKV for decrypting UHDs. Personally, I don't see any urgent need to update to 3.02 although many people say it's the way to go. Just make sure to never update to 3.03 or newer. Version 3.03 definitely breaks UHD "friendliness", period.

Read somewhere that the issue with firmware 3.02 and DeUHD was related to their server and has been fixed now.

Read somewhere that the issue with firmware 3.02 and DeUHD was related to their server and has been fixed now.

Correct. I meant to report on that here but got sidetracked. The original discussion and resolution were posted over in the Myce forums: After update to 1.0.2.0 my ASUS BW-16D1HT is not anymore supported. A few people having issues contacted Arusoft and in the end it was fixed on the server-side. The issue was on their end rather than it being some change in the firmware.

UHD Friendly:

3.00 = Yes
3.01 = Yes
3.02 = Yes
3.03 = No

Last edited:
Back