• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Dumping & Downgrading firmware on UHD Friendly Devices. (OUTDATED)

Steff123,

You can directly cross-flash to an ASUS firmware if you wish. This is exactly what I did with my LG BH16NS55 with 1.03. I cross-flashed mine directly to ASUS 3.02 and it works perfectly.
Thanks for the fast Reply,
I managed to downgrade to 1.02 LG BH16NS55 and found the clean Asus 3.02.
Is it the same now if I just use the so called unlocked flasher "BH14NS40_N1.00-A4_patched.exe" and put in the clean firmwares I found?

Thanks for the fast Reply,
I managed to downgrade to 1.02 LG BH16NS55 and found the clean Asus 3.02.
Is it the same now if I just use the so called unlocked flasher "BH14NS40_N1.00-A4_patched.exe" and put in the clean firmwares I found?

Not sure.. I've never tried that tool. You could just do the exact same process you did for 1.02 but use the ASUS 3.02 instead.

I know I could. But the advantage would be, that I don't have to take out the drive to a special setup old mainboard for flashing obviously.
Just change firmware on the fly from windows 10.

I know I could. But the advantage would be, that I don't have to take out the drive to a special setup old mainboard for flashing obviously.
Just change firmware on the fly from windows 10.

Then give it a go. If it doesn't work, just reflash using the original method.

Then give it a go. If it doesn't work, just reflash using the original method.
It worked, as it seems. I don't know the read speeds and noise from 3.02 from other method. I have to investigate further with the ripping. What tools do You most likely take? I noticed that imgburn can really activate the turbo (2x - 6x) but makemkv not (1-4x) when using uhd. Normal blu-ray disc is even faster (3x-8x) I can hear the rpm from the noise.
(in all my tests I had a trial of deUHD installed but not started so I don't know if the drivers change the behavior )

It worked, as it seems. I don't know the read speeds and noise from 3.02 from other method. I have to investigate further with the ripping. What tools do You most likely take? I noticed that imgburn can really activate the turbo (2x - 6x) but makemkv not (1-4x) when using uhd. Normal blu-ray disc is even faster (3x-8x) I can hear the rpm from the noise.
(in all my tests I had a trial of deUHD installed but not started so I don't know if the drivers change the behavior )

I just use makemkv to rip UHD to folder (don't really take much notice on the speed. It usually takes around 45 minutes) then CloneBD to convert to video bitrate of 25 Mb/s, then mux in the audio and any requires subs. CloneBD takes approx 30-40 minutes using my GTX1060.

I have followed the described method word by word and managed to downgrade the firmware to 1.02 on a W16NS40 BD-ROM. It is now successfully reading regular and UHD BD discs but it chokes on DVDs. Once it tries to read a DVD the drive gets into a state from which it can't seem to get out of. Command line tools - like eject or lshw - stop working (they just hang) and even if the disc is replaced with something I know the drive can read (a regular or 4k BD), it won't read it. Restarting the whole system helps such that the drive becomes functional again until I put a DVD in.

I am using Ubuntu Linux (18.10) and the BD ROM is in an external case connected via USB to the computer. With the original 1.03 firmware (and in the same external case) it read the DVDs without any problem.

Has anybody experienced a similar issue?

I have followed the described method word by word and managed to downgrade the firmware to 1.02 on a W16NS40 BD-ROM. It is now successfully reading regular and UHD BD discs but it chokes on DVDs. Once it tries to read a DVD the drive gets into a state from which it can't seem to get out of. Command line tools - like eject or lshw - stop working (they just hang) and even if the disc is replaced with something I know the drive can read (a regular or 4k BD), it won't read it. Restarting the whole system helps such that the drive becomes functional again until I put a DVD in.

I am using Ubuntu Linux (18.10) and the BD ROM is in an external case connected via USB to the computer. With the original 1.03 firmware (and in the same external case) it read the DVDs without any problem.

Has anybody experienced a similar issue?

As far remembering, no.

[Edit]
I remember, had experienced issues using a DVD+R DL a few years ago on a Debian Jessie or Lenny, but on a LiteOn iHOS104 (BD-ROM) , but connected directly via SATA. The drive didn't want to read a DVD+R DL disc from a certain burnt movie), drive just hanged forever initializing the disc, problem reproducible.
In Windows though iHOS104 went 100% fine with this disc initializing normally, at once and playing the movie. But in Linux it was really strange, it didn't want to read that disc.

Other burnt DVD+R DL movies didn't have that really odd behavior in Debian (Lenny or Jessie).

---
Try out if that drive-hang-issue is happening on DVDs with your external USB-case in Windows, too.
If yes, also connect drive via SATA in Windows and see if problem persists.

At last connect the drive via SATA on your Ubuntu system and see if problem exists.

If not via SATA in Ubuntu, but with your external case in Ubuntu:

Try another Linux system, e.g. Knoppix Live Linux system, and see if problem still happens here, too via USB-external case.
http://www.knopper.net/knoppix-mirrors/

----
Be sure to have made your original unit's firmware dump.
As last fallback try out another Clean-firmware suitable for WH16NS40 (SVC 50) to import your original unit's dump data into it.
I'm not sure, afaik maybe the WH16NS40 (NS50) might be compatible to B/WH16NS55 or Asus BW-16D1HT, but I'm not sure. Do other members know if that is working?
--
If you did the manual hexediting method, instead using EEPROM-data-mover-method, for importing original unit's dump data into Clean firmware, there easier you could have done a mistake.
--

Last edited:
Steps for dumping firmware : (Devilsclaw's Method only for old firmwares)

1. Download the Devilsclaw's flasher from here
  2. Unzip the relative version (32 or 64 bit) into C:\TEMP (for example) and open an Elevated Command Prompt (that is with admin privileges).
  3. Go to C:\TEMP directory (or any other dir in which you've previously unzipped flasher) and type : "flasher -D" (without quotes) to display the Device ID of your drive(s).
  4. Now type "flasher -d [driveid] -l firmware.bin 6 00000000 00200000" (without quotes) and press enter. A file called firmware.bin will be created.
  5. Keep it safe and send it to me if you want to upgrade to a newer version..

Hi Teddy,

can u please create me the upgraded Version 3.0 for myASUS BW-16D1H? See attached my Backup File (created with Dosflasher).would be very grateful.

Best Regards
Olli

Attachments

• dumped.bin.zip
    1.2 MB · Views: 3
Hi Teddy,

can u please create me the upgraded Version 3.0 for myASUS BW-16D1H? See attached my Backup File (created with Dosflasher).would be very grateful.

Best Regards
Olli
I think you need to read posts 394 (pg 20), 395 (pg20), 396 (pg20), and 442 (pg23).

Steff123,

I did that. From LG 1.03 to ASUS 3.02 directly. If all steps performed properly no issue. Be aware to make a copy of of your original FW. You need the calibration data of the drive if anything goes wrong!!!!

Steff123,

I did that. From LG 1.03 to ASUS 3.02 directly. If all steps performed properly no issue. Be aware to make a copy of of your original FW. You need the calibration data of the drive if anything goes wrong!!!!

Sorry, i don't read the whole Post. Im sitting here for just 2 Days and I can do what i want. It doesn't work for me. My Drive works only with the backup file. I try every option (manuell, automatic), but with the new created FW 3.0 or 3.1 the Disc doesn't start to spin. When I downgrade back to 1.01 the discs start to spin, but I can only read DVD und Bluray. No UHD Discs.

I'm bying a new BD Drive Today, and same here. no option to downgrade the FW.

I'm no rookie,- but hope for your help here, because I was very lucky about finding this post via google.

Sorry for the circumstances

BR
Olli

This is not trivial if you never used DOS.

Did you start on page 1 with Teddy's cook book? Where is the point it failed?

This is not trivial if you never used DOS.

Did you start on page 1 with Teddy's cook book? Where is the point it failed?

Hi Coopervid,

thanks for your reply and my bad english :)

Let me explain:

My first try (Windows Method)

• Download the Windows 7 Live (Portable Edition) ISO from here.
  • Use Rufus and select the ISO image previously downloaded and prepare the USB stick.
  • Unzip on USB stick root the DOSFLASH_Windows7.zip attached file below.
  • Enable CMS in BIOS option in order to boot from the USB stick (NOT UEFI !!!!) and configure SATA controller as IDE !!
  • Wait few seconds to allow Windows 7 properly loaded and as soon as the Windows 7 desktop appears, go to "My Computer", open the USB device letter, and run DOSFLASH32_BH16NS40.exe.
  • Now, you should see the BH16NSxx (or ASUS) device listed. If not you have not properly set the SATA controller or it is not compatible with DOSFLASH.
  • If everything looks fine, select first "Read Flash", in order to dump the current firmware.
  • After the reading/dumping process, you will need to take the clean 1.02 (or any other UHD Friendly firmware) and prepare it with data imported from the original dump. To do this, you can send me your dump, or doing yourself via HEX Editing process (see below).
  • Once you have prepared the UHD friendly firmware, reboot Windows 7 Live PE from USB and run DOSFLASH_BH16NS40.exe again. This time, select first "Erase Flash", and then "Write Flash".
  • Select the firmware you prepared before, and wait for the task to be completed.
  • Now, you can restore SATA Configuration settings, disabling CSM (needed for a full UEFI boot), and enjoy your UHD friendly device.
--> Result: Drive doesn't start to spin any Disc. So i go back to my Backup (I've posted) With my Current Firmware the drives reads DVD + BD, but no UHD.

Second try:
(Devilsclaw's Method only for old firmwares)

1. Download the Devilsclaw's flasher from here
  2. Unzip the relative version (32 or 64 bit) into C:\TEMP (for example) and open an Elevated Command Prompt (that is with admin privileges).
  3. Go to C:\TEMP directory (or any other dir in which you've previously unzipped flasher) and type : "flasher -D" (without quotes) to display the Device ID of your drive(s).
  4. Now type "flasher -d [driveid] -l firmware.bin 6 00000000 00200000" (without quotes) and press enter. A file called firmware.bin will be created.
  5. Keep it safe and send it to me if you want to upgrade to a newer version --> It failed at Step 4. At Step 3 he gives me the DriveID, but then in Step 4 the ID can't be found.

Third try (like step 1 with manuel Hex Editor) i do this steps:
  1. Install WinHEX (or any other similar Hex Editor).
  2. Open the dumped DOSFLASH firmware and the new one you want to flash on your device. (*)
  3. On the backup firmware (the dumped one) select hex range starting from 0x1E8000 offset to 0x1E84FF and copy it in the same range of the new firmware. (**)
  4. Do the same as point 3. but starting now from 0x1E9000 to 0x1EBFFF. (***)
  5. At last, copy range from 0x1F0000 to the end. (***)
  6. Save the new firmware (for example as TEST.BIN).
  7. You are now ready for flashing (or crossflashing) the new firmware (or a downgrade version).
--> All works fine. Then I use the new.bin with DOSFLASH32_BH16NS40.exe to write it on the drive. Result is the same like the 1st try. The Disc doesn't start to spin.

After 2 Days i can say,- i'm very desperately :)

can u please create me the upgraded Version 3.0 for myASUS BW-16D1H? See attached my Backup File (created with Dosflasher).{...}
Oliver Reinsch
I've seen your dumped file in hexeditor, and searched in the right table (ASCI) for (one by one):

And found this:
Code:
001A6950  5B 00 00 00 41 53 55 53  20 20 20 20 42 57 2D 31  [...ASUS  BW-1
001A6960  36 44 31 48 54 20 20 20  20 20 20 20 31 2E 30 31  6D1HT  1.01
That's odd. The newer produced ASUS BW-16D1HT units use 3.xx firmware scheme.
From what year is your Asus BW-16D1HT (production year) ?
See on the unit's sticker on the top side.

Last edited:
Oliver Reinsch
I've seen your dumped file in hexeditor, and searched in the right table (ASCI) for (one by one):

And found this:
Code:
001A6950  5B 00 00 00 41 53 55 53  20 20 20 20 42 57 2D 31  [...ASUS  BW-1
001A6960  36 44 31 48 54 20 20 20  20 20 20 20 31 2E 30 31  6D1HT  1.01
That's odd. The newer produced ASUS BW-16D1HT units use 3.xx firmware scheme.
From what year is your Asus BW-16D1HT (production year) ?
See on the unit's sticker on the top side.

It is March 2015

It is March 2015

I'm sorry. Your BW-16D1HT seems to be an older revision (not NS50 comptible), so it does NOT support UHD.

https://forum.redfox.bz/threads/freundliches-laufwerk-für-uhd-zum-auslesen.74463/

Freundliches Laufwerk für UHD zum Auslesen

ohne Garantie
{...}
ASUS BW-16D1HT a(internal, manufactured 2015+)
{...}

[QUOTE
https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16885&start=225

UHD friendly drives:
{...}
ASUS BW-16D1HT

"ASUS BW-16D1HT build date 2015+, the 1.00 ones are not compatible"
--

My BW-16D1HT is produced 2017, so after end of 2015, And in the ASCI code it is listed with 3.xx naming scheme when viewing dumped firmware in a hexeditor.

Last edited:
Your BW-16D1HT seems to be an older revision, so it does NOT support UHD!

https://forum.redfox.bz/threads/freundliches-laufwerk-für-uhd-zum-auslesen.74463/

Freundliches Laufwerk für UHD zum Auslesen

[QUOTE
https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16885&start=225

UHD friendly drives:
{...}
ASUS BW-16D1HT

"ASUS BW-16D1HT build date 2015+, the 1.00 ones are not compatible"
--

My BW-16D1HT is produced 2017, so after end of 2015. And in the ASCI code it is listed with 3.xx naming scheme when viewing dumped firmware in a hexeditor.

For my understanding is March 2015 = 2015+

Before I start to flash the FW I've try to copy my UHD "The Marsian" to my NAS and it works fine. It only doesn't work with newer UHD Discs.

For my understanding is March 2015 = 2015+

Before I start to flash the FW I've try to copy my UHD "The Marsian" to my NAS and it works fine. It only doesn't work with newer UHD Discs.

If UHD works on some discs, and you don't know what you're doing, don't flash any firmware. Just wait until the decryption program has the necessary key.

And you're not joking? (Your BW-16D1HT unit produced in 2015) with 1.01 firmware (= according to you, is your original unit's dump) is working with UHD?? OK...
Your dump from which UHD "The Marsian" works with that, but newer UHD discs don't??
At least totally contradicting to what I've read on forums about UHD compatibility with older-1.01 firmware-BW-16D1HT-revision units.

You didn't flash over a BW-16D1HT (older BW-16D1HT-1.0x revision) firmware on a maybe newer revision BW-16D1HT unit??

At least about UHD compatibilty there's no gurantee 100% certainty from the technicians, that 2015+ is absolutely correct.
I was not sure myself if "2015+" means "2015 and later".
I'd say they intend to say for UHD compatibility BW-16D1HT, units that are produced after 2015 (= 2015+) =>produced 2016 and later. (So since 2016 it is most likely to get a newer revision Asus drive, which uses another firmware and UHD-friendly-compatible-hardware, and with fw-naming scheme 3.xx.)

But to what I've seen (ASUS BW16D1HT) units with 1.XX according to forum is not UHD-capable at all !(mattering with that decryption implementations/loophole msssing, but I don't know that much about that stuff etc.)

Last edited:
If UHD works and you don't know what you're doing, don't flash any firmware.

You're not joking? (Your BW-16D1HT unit produced in 2015) with 1.01 firmware (according to you your original unit's dump) is working with UHD?? OK...
Your dump from which UHD "The Marsian" works with that, but newer UHD discs don't??
At least totally contradicting to what I've read on forums about UHD compatibility with older-1.01 firmware-BW-16D1HT-revision units.

You didn't flash over a BW-16D1HT (older BW-16D1HT-1.0x revision) firmware on a maybe newer revision BW-16D1HT unit??

At least about UHD compatibilty there's no gurantee for 100% certainty, that 2015+ is correct.
I was not sure myself if "2015+" means "2015 and later".
I'd say they intend to say for UHD compatibility BW-16D1HT, units that are produced after 2015 (2015+) =>produced 2016 and later.

But to what I've seen (ASUS BW16D1HT) units with 1.XX according to forum is not UHD-capable at all !

jep, this is no joke... But "The Marsian" is the only movie that works. Maybe there is no Secure Protection on the disc. As I remember... it was one of the first UHD Movies that was launched in Germany. At this Time I have have round about 35 UHD Movies on my own,- i think i have tried 20 Discs. No one works,- but the Marsian :)

So I've start search on google and found this Topic. Like some other site this Guide says 3.0 or 3.1 is
recommended. I think the Drive is not the Problem, because after Flashing FW no kind of Disc start to spin. That means,- DVD and Bluray doesn't work.

I think it's this Point: *** - This point is useful for importing the correct laser calibration data but I've found that ASUS/LG devices have almost the same behaviour even with different calibration data.

The Question is why the new created FW with the working Calibration doesn't work.

Back