• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Dumping & Downgrading firmware on UHD Friendly Devices. (OUTDATED)

What version would I need to downgrade? And, is it possible to simply downgrade to a previous version w/o going through the complicated process outlined in this thread?

Need to downgrade to 1.02 and the way to do that is to go through the flashing process. Other alternatives are sending it to me and I'll flash it for you, even better would be to return it to wherever it was purchased and I'll send you a flashed and tested unit that's ready to rip. I'm alexcoluzzi32@gmail.com and I'm at your service.

Need to downgrade to 1.02 and the way to do that is to go through the flashing process. Other alternatives are sending it to me and I'll flash it for you, even better would be to return it to wherever it was purchased and I'll send you a flashed and tested unit that's ready to rip. I'm alexcoluzzi32@gmail.com and I'm at your service.
I am a bit confused. Is it possible to obtain v1.02 firmware and install it in the usual way?

You can obtain it the usual way yes, but you can't install it the usual way. Firmware v1.03 has been modified to prevent people doing just that. As such, as is well documented in this thread, a dump is needed of the drive's existing firmware (because it contains unique info needed), modify available 1.02 with that info, and flash that back onto the drive with the end result being 1.02 installed and the drive rendered friendly.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 6P met Tapatalk

You can obtain it the usual way yes, but you can't install it the usual way. Firmware v1.03 has been modified to prevent people doing just that. As such, as is well documented in this thread, a dump is needed of the drive's existing firmware (because it contains unique info needed), modify available 1.02 with that info, and flash that back onto the drive with the end result being 1.02 installed and the drive rendered friendly.

Does this thread include where to obtain v1.02 firmware?

The LG site naturally. But it won't install on a 1.03 using drive without being modified

The LG site naturally. But it won't install on a 1.03 using drive without being modified

Is there a video tutorial anywhere in this thread? There are a number of ways to go wrong. Using the HEX Editor seems particularly problematic?
EDIT: I just noticed this: "Clean_NS50_compatible_firmwares.7z". This seems to cover my drive. Does this make my process shorter/easier?

Last edited:
No, you will need to make the dump, modify the hex ranges and flash it back. If you're not confident enough to do it, you have the following options

1. Return that drive, get a new one and hope it'll come with friendly firmware
2. Take the guy above up on his offer. I Bruce several users on this forum did

No, you will need to make the dump, modify the hex ranges and flash it back. If you're not confident enough to do it, you have the following options

1. Return that drive, get a new one and hope it'll come with friendly firmware
2. Take the guy above up on his offer. I Bruce several users on this forum did

1. I have had this drive for a few months. I am assuming that they all come with v1.03 now.
2. Did you guys literally send a drive to *** who *** and have it returned ready to go??

1. Sell it as used the
2. We don't No, but read that post 523 again. He's offering to buy one, modify it, and sell it to you again. You'll have to contact him.

Why not using the EEPROM_Data_Mover. So much easier and it never failed me.
I would dump the original firmware as instructed. Next, I would use "Clean_NS50_compatible_firmwares.7z" to get v1.02 for my drive. Next, follow the instructions that follow after that?

Page 1 / Post 1:
Steps for importing data from backup firmwares : (Automatic Method)

I would dump the original firmware as instructed. Next, I would use "Clean_NS50_compatible_firmwares.7z" to get v1.02 for my drive. Next, follow the instructions that follow after that?

Yes nearly all correct.

As you proposed correctly: first you dump your original unit's firmware, e.g. with Dosflash 1.7+FreeDOS (R-button)

But don't flash over a "Clean" firmware. You need modify the called "Clean"-Firmware with some data from your original unit's firmware-dump, just take EEPROM data mover to do that (very easy, not any hexediting required)

Below all relevants steps to do quoted below:
(Below):
1st paragraph (Dumping firmware)

2nd paragraph: EEPROM data mover=>(with a copy of Clean firmware! ) data import from origiginal dumped firmware into "Clean-firmware"
(people downgrading from 1.03 to 1.02 of course pick the 1.02 Clean firmware for their unit)

3rd paragraph:flashing the then modified "Clean"-firmware

Steps for dumping firmware : (DOS Method)
  1. Prepare an USB FreeDOS bootable stick, using Rufus (which can be downloaded here).
  2. Unzip on USB root the DOSFLASH.zip attached file.
  3. Enter into motherboard BIOS settings and set SATA Controller as IDE (or Legacy). If you can handle only AHCI, DOSFLASH will not properly work, or it could not work at all.
  4. Be sure to connect your ASUS/LG drive alone, as SATA Primary Master (USE SATA1 or SATA2 controller ports).
  5. Enable CSM (Compatibility Support Mode) and boot from the USB stick in Legacy Mode.
  6. At the command Prompt, type "DOSFLASH" and press Enter. If it does not detect anything, retype again. It could be needed to type DOSFLASH 3-4 times before ASUS/LG device be properly detected.
  7. It should show the Manufacter ID of your device, namely "MediaTek MT1959".
  8. Press the relative number of the detected device (1 in my case) and press "R" (without quotes) to dump eeprom firmware.
  9. Save firmware with the name you like and keep it safe.
--
(Below next step importing data from backup firmwares, after dumping your original unit's firmware)

Steps for importing data from backup firmwares : (Automatic Method)

1. Unzip the EEPROM Data Mover attached below.
  2. Open it, select first the dumped original firmware.
  3. Select now a clean firmware to insert data (clean firmwares can be found here).
  4. Type now a firmware name (i.e. TEST.BIN) which will be the one you will eventually need to flash on your drive.
--
Below next step after importing original dump's into "Clean" firmware (then appropriately modified and ready for flashing.
Steps for flashing firmware : (DOSFLASH modified method)

1. Follow the same steps written for the dumping method, until you arrive at the DOSFLASH command prompt.
  2. Be sure to have copied the new prepared (TEST.BIN) firmware onto root of your USB stick.
  3. Press the relative number of your detected device under DOSFLASH (1 in my case).
  4. Type "E" (without quotes) to fully erase your drive eeprom and wait for the end of the task.
  5. Now type again DOSFLASH, press the relative number and the "W" letter (without quotes) for writing firmware.
  6. Type the firmware name (TEST.BIN in this example) and wait 1 min or less to the end of the process. (It has to write 32 rom banks starting from 0 to 31).
  7. Eventually you will see the blue light of your device blinking. This is the proof your drive has been initialized again and ready to work.
  8. Reconnect your devices as before, do the same with bios settings for UEFI support and boot your Windows OS.
  9. Now you're ready to see if your work has been properly done and your device working again with UHD discs !!!

Last edited:
[The more details, the more intimidated I get...] For now, I am going to focus on getting a home theatre 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player - player only, no steaming. I have a Roku for that. [I bought the Magnavox - MBP6700P and returned it. It powers down, standby, no way to configure. After it powers back up, U need to navigate through the disc menu to "Play". U do get a chance to return to the time index, but it does not retain audio, subtitle settings. This is different from players I use that simply return back exactly where U left] The Magnavox was available for only $59. The next closest 4K UHD Disc Blu-Ray player was at least $99.

Would also like to thank for this great tutorial and threat. Have succesfully downgraded my LG BH16NS55 to 1.02 !!
The only problem was the Rufus tool. No matter what I tried in the settings I could not create an working USB-Boot-stick for my hardware.
After two hours already believing that I am to stupid I switched to YUMI and it worked the first time.

One last question and I am sure it was already answered, so sorry for asking again, but can I now install the ASUS firmware again ?? Or would this break the drive ?

Happy new Year

I have a similar question : Is it possible to go directly from an unfriendly firmaware (v1.03 LG BH16NS55) to a Asus 3.01 by simply using the clean Asus firmware and my Dump as explained in the steps.OR: do I have to go down to friendly without cross flashing (1.02) and THEN I can cross flash?

I read a lot the past days, never saw it mentioned.

Thanks for the great work, from the thread starter and the comunity :thankyou:

I have a similar question : Is it possible to go directly from an unfriendly firmaware (v1.03 LG BH16NS55) to a Asus 3.01 by simply using the clean Asus firmware and my Dump as explained in the steps.OR: do I have to go down to friendly without cross flashing (1.02) and THEN I can cross flash?

I read a lot the past days, never saw it mentioned.

Thanks for the great work, from the thread starter and the comunity :thankyou:

Steff123,

You can directly cross-flash to an ASUS firmware if you wish. This is exactly what I did with my LG BH16NS55 with 1.03. I cross-flashed mine directly to ASUS 3.02 and it works perfectly.

Back