• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Drives With & Without Bus Encryption

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guinness77

Hi,
I am looking to get a new BD drive, and was wondering about bus encryption. Does anybody know what new drives do and do not support it?

Thanks

Manufacturer info

I suspect you'd find that on the manufacturer's spec page for that device.
I don't believe there is a definitive list.

Bottom line: avoid matshita / panasonic / SONY / Pioneer 8)

Thanks, I will look at the LG, Lite-On and Plextor drives then.

Well I know the LG bh10ls30 doesn't have it, but the bh10ls38 does (but it seems to get removed if you flash it with the 1.01 firmware for the bh10ls30)

Do you know about the WH12LS39?

Thanks

I just crossflashed my WH10LS30 to a BH12LS38. Had to mod the LS38 firmware with a hex editor, and it turns out the BH12LS38 actually uses BH12NS35 main firmware. Just checked my drive, bus encryption is supported. Happen to have a copy of the WH12LS39 firmware handy, and it likewise uses the identical BH12NS35 main. I believe the WH12LS39 should be a safe bet.

I should add, checking my Lite-on iHBS112 and Lite-on 212 flashed to Plex PX-LB950SA, they do not. Pio 206 also does not.

I just crossflashed my WH10LS30 to a BH12LS38. Had to mod the LS38 firmware with a hex editor, and it turns out the BH12LS38 actually uses BH12NS35 main firmware. Just checked my drive, bus encryption is supported. Happen to have a copy of the WH12LS39 firmware handy, and it likewise uses the identical BH12NS35 main. I believe the WH12LS39 should be a safe bet.

So which drive did you say had bus encryption? I will avoid that.

I should add, checking my Lite-on iHBS112 and Lite-on 212 flashed to Plex PX-LB950SA, they do not. Pio 206 also does not.

The Lite-on and Plextors look good. Are there any advantages of the Plextor over the Lite-On?

Can you tell me exactly what your concern is or what you need this feature for? Just so we can be sure we are on the same page?

i don't think he needs it. Me thinks he wants to avoid it.

Maybe because of the AACS Bus Encryption.
He worry he can't make a copy anymore.

Last edited:
I only ask for clarification because I've known folks to confuse bus encryption for the "binding nonce generation" feature currently an issue for fab users. So much easier to avoid misdirection if you can be sure which direction someone would like to go :).

If what is desired is a good burner that's also the best ripper that does not have bus encryption, Lite-on iHBS112. The Plextor is simply a Lite-on with the Plextor name on it. I've tried both the Lite-on and Plextor firmwares, no advantage to having the Plex that I have seen yet.

Last edited:
Thank you. I know that the bus encryption is not that prevalent now. I was just figuring I might as well avoid it if I can. From what has been posted, if Both the drive and disc support bus encryption, you will not be a able to create an Iso (not even protected).

Thanks for all the input.

Thank you. I know that the bus encryption is not that prevalent now. I was just figuring I might as well avoid it if I can. From what has been posted, if Both the drive and disc support bus encryption, you will not be a able to create an Iso (not even protected).
Who told you such rubbish?

Hi,
I am looking to get a new BD drive, and was wondering about bus encryption. Does anybody know what new drives do and do not support it?

If people want to check if their drives support BEC, just create an AnyDVD logfile with any Blu-ray disc.
AnyDVD will tell you in AnyDVD_log.txt

Who told you such rubbish?

I saw this in the release notes:
7.0.1.0 2012 03 02
- New (Blu-ray): Updated decryption keys
- New (Blu-ray): Support for new Java based protection
- New (Blu-ray): Prevent creation of protected images from discs requiring
bus encryption with drives supporting bus encryption

Also:
With drives supporting bus encryption and discs demanding bus encryption a protected image would be useless, AnyDVD currently cannot decrypt it.
I'll change that in the future, but not for the moment.

AnyDVD would have to only remove the Bus-encryption but leave the rest in order to create a proper ISO then.
This will be done in some upcoming version, but requires a major restructuring of AnyDVD, therefore for now, we chose to simply disable the possibility, so the user doesn't waste time creating useless ISOs.

It's an extremely rare thing anyway atm to encounter both a bus encrypting drive AND a disc that requires bus encryption.
This new AACS-"feature" doesn't seem too big a seller...

Did I misinterpret it? I apologize if I did.

Last edited:
Did I misinterpret it? I apologize if I did.

What is meant is that with a drive that does support BEC you will not be able to create an ISO without removing the protections. You will be able to create an ISO if you do remove the protections. This is because the protected image would be worthless since AnyDVD HD would be unable to decrypt it when you mounted the protected image at a later time.

Oh, ok thanks. Sorry about that.
I make all my Iso's with protection. It has been nice because now I can use the speed menu without having to re-rip again.
Maybe in the future Anydvd will support that, but for now I will buy a new drive without bus encryption.

Oh, ok thanks. Sorry about that.

No problem.

I make all my Iso's with protection. It has been nice because now I can use the speed menu without having to re-rip again.

You aren't alone.

Maybe in the future Anydvd will support that

That's what James said. :)

With drives supporting bus encryption and discs demanding bus encryption a protected image would be useless, AnyDVD currently cannot decrypt it.

I'll change that in the future, but not for the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back