Drives with problems

Discussion in 'CD/DVD/BD Drives' started by Frank, Aug 20, 2011.

1. Frank

Frank SlySoft Support Team

On top of the Matshita/Panasonic region-lock issue there is another one that is on the radar to avoid.

The Sony BDP-CX960 is region restricted.

1. There are reports it may not play region free movie DVDs at all, thus no copied discs. Unfortunately, we don't know of a region-free hack or remote code for this player.
    Just be advised.

2. Add this one too: http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=50357 - looks like simply a terrible drive. Plays some but not all BD copies

3. CloneDVD2 will simply not write to this drive: ASUS DRW-24B1ST with firmware 1.04. This is an "old" drive but there still may be many out there.

4. HP is using "MATSHITA BD-CMB UJ141AF" in their machines. This one will not work with other region DVDs.

5. SONY BDRW BWU-300S is likely an OEMed Panasonic "locked" drive powered by the Panasonic MN103SG0KBA chipset

Last edited: Mar 18, 2012
  2. Ch3vr0n

Ch3vr0n Translator NL & Mod

Is this what you're looking for ? http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin/mboard/rc-discrete/thread.cgi?5737

3. DrinkLyeAndDie

DrinkLyeAndDie Retired Moderator

So, this is a standalone player that will not play region-free DVD-ROMs (DVD+R booktyped to DVD-ROM)? There are many legal reasons for a region-free DVD-ROM to exist. This simply sounds ludicrous if true. At $400-$500 for this player it's crazy that you can't play region-free discs. Another boneheaded business decision by Sony, I suppose. Maybe you guys at Slysoft can buy one of these and dissect it? :D

Last edited: Aug 20, 2011
  4. James

James Redfox Development Team Staff Member

Sure. Like the DVD specification.
    That's why I don't believe it is true.

5. Frank

Frank SlySoft Support Team

Keeping an eye on this

This topic matter was first raised by another support team member and I thought it important enough to put it here. Now that I think about it I'm having my doubts about it but will keep an open mind. If nothing else surfaces on this after a while I'll dump this thread. 8)

6. fzn

fzn New Member

MATSHITA BD-CMB UJ141AF on Sony Vaio

Hello. I just purchase a vaio notebook, model VPCEG37FM and it comes with the apparently dreaded MATSHITA BD-CMB UJ141AF. Is there no solution for watching dvd's from other regions? I have AnyDVD HD 6.8.0.0. but it won't work. I got the error message which specifically mentions Matshita. I couldnt find any firmware fixes for this model. I called Sony and all they suggested was to change the regional setting in windows, which worked, but it already used up 2 of the 4 allowed changes. Will any newer versions of AnyDVD help? Any advice would be appreciated.

7. mike_r

mike_r Well-Known Member

8. dlw4143

dlw4143 Active Member

windows deleted my anydvd and also my clone dvd how can I redownload them. it says I do not have an account.

9. Adbear

Adbear Well-Known Member