• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Drive recommendation

gamerscircle

It would seem that both of my laptops which have a Blu Ray drives are of the Matshita (sp?) make and I am unable to use the software as there is no firmware upgrades for them.

I am looking for either a replacement or an external (I here LG is the way to go) blu ray drive that will work with the SlySoft software.

Can anyone make a suggestion? I have a media library from my regular dvd's, but would like to add my BD as well.

thanks

Hope everyone had a good holiday, was curious if someone would be able to help with this?

I don't think I can get a replacement drive for my laptop (would be nice though), but an external drive (blu ray) that will work with AnyDVD HD will be a great work around.

My goal: Either burn ISO of my collection or rip to files so that I can stream through my ASUS O!Play

As long as windows sees the external drive, then anydvd will too. LG all t he way

@Gamerscircle: if ya mail ppl via the board make sure they can mail you back. You have board mailing disabled. But to answer your question in the mail. If you're having problems with a disc, "little nemo" create a topic in the proper section. If its a dvd post in the "anydvd forum" if its a blu-ray disc or hd-dvd then post in the "anydvd hd" section. Provide the anydvd logfile for the problematic disc. There's a sticky in each section on how to create one and attach to the post.

Next question: Try checking firmwarehq.com for your drive if there's an update, but since its a laptop chances are high its a matshita drive and there aint an update.

Next issue: Your drive may PLAY a disc, but that's not the same as RIPPING (READING) a disc. When playing back a disc certain "technologies" come into play such as "error correction" by standalones & drives. However when READING a disc, a bit-for-bit identical copy must be made. Wich means that if the drive encounters a problem (this can be a dirty fingerprint, scratch, oily disk surface, ...) that it can't overcome the data-flow to the drive simply stops. No data = iso / rip abort. It's just the way it is.

Create that topic in the proper section and attach the logfile for that little nemo disc. There's data in that logfile us more experience users and / or slysoft people may see that will tell us if it's your drive to blame or the disc is simply defective.

As far as an external drive is concerned http://www.lg.com/uk/dvd-blu-ray-drives/all-dvd-blu-ray-drives

tick the boxes for "external" and "blu-ray support" and you'll see the most recent models. Then pick your favorite (among the 2), if you don't need blu-ray support, untick that box. Reason is pretty simple, if you get read errors on a blu-ray disc its a defective disc in most cases. BD's don't contain protections that can result in true or fake read errors.

@Ch3vr0n - thanks, new to this forum and I didn't know that it was off on default. I will use your advise, thanks for the input.

I don't think I can get a replacement drive for my laptop (would be nice though), but an external drive (blu ray) that will work with AnyDVD HD will be a great work around.
Although it can be more awkward you can usually get new internal drives for laptops as they are usually a standard size and shape, the only thing you have to watch out for is what socket your old drive uses and make sure the new one uses the same. You can also normally remove the front bezel and fit it onto the new drive so the lines of your laptop still look the same. Over here in the UK I can pick up a new internal Blu-ray writer for under £60 before tax
The external slimline one that Ch3vr0n linked to works quite well as I've had these in in the past and tested them my self.

Like you I thought I would better get a new drive. Like you I asked the experts. But as we know, the experts are reluctant to give specific advices. Though I appreciate very much their general advices.

I took the risk and bought the external LG BE12LU38 drive, which is a newer version of LG BE12LU30. I am happy with that decision.

Though it originally has two flaws: it is real big and it needs a speedpatch.
I can live with the size. It may be an advantage in keeping the drive cooler. Though you may not consider it a real portable companion of your laptops.

A simple solution for the speedpatch can be found in
SlySoft Forum > International Talk > Deutsches SlySoft Forum > Hardwareprobleme > Lg be12lu38 Richtige Firmware???
(You can find a summary in my posting #28 on page 3 http://forum.slysoft.com/showpost.php?p=345799&postcount=28. Drop it into the German pane in Google Translation and you may get a usable translation in the English pane. )

Good luck!

Cela, that LG is a good drive. And if it fails, you can keep the external enclosure and just replace the internal drive. You can also take the internal drive out and install it in a desktop tower with better transmission lines, if you want more speed. Are you using USB for now? If so, if you use 2X write speed for BD-R's, you will be ok.

But if the drive fails, you can just buy another internal 5 1/2" and keep the external enclosure and power supply. Most 5 1/2" external enclosures are actually OEM independent, just like a PC enclosure, so you can buy anyone elses' internal drive to replace it. Just don't replace it with a Pioneer unless you're ready to replace it again in 3 months.

But I have the LGBE12LU30 for a couple of years and still working like a champ after a few 100 burns (knock on wood).

Last edited:
Cela, that LG is a good drive. ... Are you using USB for now? ... still working like a champ after a few 100 burns (knock on wood).
Thanks for your feedback. :)
It feels good to learn that it is a good choice.
I do not use the USB connection. I exclusivly use the eSATA connection.

Get good 8x write/read speed results with blanks from "50 QUVIDO BD-R 25GB 4x Full Printable in Spindel // RiTEK 2" from Amazon. Imgburn tells that these blanks are up to 8x. Written BDs play well on my PS3.

Glad you like it. Just in case you don't know, there is a freeware called "Burnplot.exe" that will graph the performance of your drive and tell you what you're real speeds are. It was written for imgburn.

Google "burnplot" and it's hosted on the IMGBURN website at the top of the search results. If you think there is a problem with a burn, it's a handy tool to have.

Back