• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Drive Not Ready Eror (Fitness DVD?)

bobjtx

I purchased the Jim Grove Combatives (martial arts / Fitness?) set of 2 DVDs. Disc 1 plays fine. Disc 2 got an error from the BRay player. So I popped it into the laptop and was able to play it with VLC player. I noticed the manufacturer included a Flyer on how these are "DVD-R" discs, which are not the same as commercial discs, are better, yada,yada, yada, and "should" play in all newer DVD players. That's odd, I thought. DVD-R has been around a long time. Why include this flyer? Hmm, could it be copy protection?

So I tried to copy it using AnyDVD and got a Drive D: Not Ready error. Thinking I just had a bad disc (which plays fine on the computer), I grabbed the disc that does play in the DVD player and tried to copy it - same thing "Drive Not Ready" error. After searching, I found the sticky on "Fitness DVDs" and wonder if this is some new type of copy protection? I am running Anywhere 7.4.5.0 in a Win 7 environment. Is this a copy protection mechanism that DVD Anywhere can't handle? I tried turning on the AI engine as suggested in the Sticky, but that did not change anything. Attached are the log files if these are helpful. Would like to try to copy this, else I will need to return the DVD and wait for a replacement that WILL work on a DVD player.

Thanks,

Attachments

• AnyDVD_7.4.5.0_Info_D_GRDVD_1.ziplog
    24.5 KB · Views: 7
I purchased the Jim Grove Combatives (martial arts / Fitness?) set of 2 DVDs. Disc 1 plays fine. Disc 2 got an error from the BRay player. So I popped it into the laptop and was able to play it with VLC player. I noticed the manufacturer included a Flyer on how these are "DVD-R" discs, which are not the same as commercial discs, are better, yada,yada, yada, and "should" play in all newer DVD players. That's odd, I thought. DVD-R has been around a long time. Why include this flyer? Hmm, could it be copy protection?

So I tried to copy it using AnyDVD and got a Drive D: Not Ready error. Thinking I just had a bad disc (which plays fine on the computer), I grabbed the disc that does play in the DVD player and tried to copy it - same thing "Drive Not Ready" error. After searching, I found the sticky on "Fitness DVDs" and wonder if this is some new type of copy protection? I am running Anywhere 7.4.5.0 in a Win 7 environment. Is this a copy protection mechanism that DVD Anywhere can't handle? I tried turning on the AI engine as suggested in the Sticky, but that did not change anything. Attached are the log files if these are helpful. Would like to try to copy this, else I will need to return the DVD and wait for a replacement that WILL work on a DVD player.

Thanks,

There is no protection. Exit AnyDVD before you try to copy. It is a single layer so you should be able to copy it with any program (CloneDVD, CloneCD, Shrink, etc).

DVD-R discs better than commercially pressed discs? lmao

Thanks,

Could you zip the .ifo files from this disc and post them (AnyDVD must be disabled)? Thanks a lot!

Can't Read The Disc

I would post them, but the disc can not be read, only played by VLC (I know that sounds weird, but that is what is happening). Windows 7 explorer shows there is a disc in the DVD drive, but can not read anything other than the name of the disc. No file system shows up at all.
In OS X, the Disc can be read, and shows an empty Audio_TS and Video_TS folder, even though it registers the size of the disc image as 3.5GB.
Win XP Explorer shows the disc with an empty Audio_TS folder only. Shrink reports an error when it tries to read the disc, and aborts / hangs.

Reading the drive with Imageburn results in the following:

MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-8A8 HB14 (SATA)
Current Profile: DVD-ROM

Disc Information:
State of Last Session: Complete
Erasable: No
Sessions: 1
Sectors: 1,867,200
Size: 3,824,025,600 bytes
Time: 414:58:00 (MM:SS:FF)
MID: TYG03
Supported Read Speeds: 2.3x, 3.7x, 5.5x, 7.4x
Current Read Speed: 3.3x - 7.4x

File System Information:
Sectors: 1,866,944
Size: 3,823,501,312 bytes
Time: 414:54:44 (MM:SS:FF)

TOC Information:
Session 1... (LBA: 0)
-> Track 01 (Mode 1, LBA: 0 - 1867199)
-> LeadOut (LBA: 1867200)

Track Information:
Session 1...
-> Track 01 (LTSA: 0, LTS: 1867200, LRA: 1867199)

This appears to be some type of copy protection that causes Win 7 to not recognize the FILE system. Windows can not even locate or identify the _TS folder, though Finder on OS X can at least do that. AnyDVD reports a Drive Not Ready error when it tries to rip the DVD, but shows no apparent problem when it performs its first examination / discovery. Thus, I can't read the ISO files or anything else. I am stumped. What gets me though, is that VLC can read/play the disc without issues. If VLC can read the disc, why can't AnyDVD or OS X, or Windows Explorer? Does VLC have a "raw" driver that bypasses the OS file system? If so, I wouldn't think its raw driver access would be any better than AnyDVD. Something really odd here.

Bobj.

Last edited:
Raw File System

Trying to read the DVD with MSDOS Dir command shows the file system is a "Raw File System", and only the Audio_TS folder (empty) is shown. I tried reading again in Windows explorer and notice that Windows shows "Files ready to be written to the DVD" in the Explorer pane. It lists a file called "Desktop.ini" which is weird. Below are the contents of the Desktop.ini file that explorer thinks it should write to the DVD:

[.ShellClassInfo]
LocalizedResourceName=@%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,-21815

Not sure if this is pertinent of if I am off chasing a wild goose. However, it looks like the DVD was created without a valid file system, which is why it can not be read with Windows Explorer. I assume it has a raw file interface, which is probably why VLC can read it (raw driver). However, shouldn't AnyDVD be able to read a DVD of this nature? If not, seems like an easy way to defeat AnyDVD - yes?

Thanks,
Bobj.

AnyDVD can't read DVD, but VLC Can - What gives?

After doing more research, it appears the Desktop.ini issue is normal (hidden files thrown up when DVD can't be read by windows). That said, I can place a "Hollywood" DVD in the drive and AnyDVD will read it. Take it out and place the Combat DVD in the drive and ANYDVD reports the drive is not ready, yet VLC can play it. Take the disc out and replace with yet another "Hollywood" DVD and AnyDVD can again read the drive. So this looks like an AnyDVD "issue" with reading the disc, not a hardware problem.

Looking at the DVD in Windows ControlPanle/System/Devices/DVD I can see that the DVD uses a different File System than a typical DVD. The Hollywood DVD shows a filesystem type of: UDF, the "Fitness" DVD shows a file system type of: CDFS.

It looks like the copy mechanism / Filesystem being used can be dealt with by VLC, but not by AnyDVD. I thought AnyDVD provided a raw disk driver to allow it to handle non-standard (DVD) disk formats. I have been useing AnyDVD for years with no real issues, but this protection mechanism seems to give AnyDVD fits. Why can't AnyDVD read the disk?

Thanks,
Bobj.

Last edited:
After doing more research, it appears the Desktop.ini issue is normal (hidden files thrown up when DVD can't be read by windows). That said, I can place a "Hollywood" DVD in the drive and AnyDVD will read it. Take it out and place the Combat DVD in the drive and ANYDVD reports the drive is not ready, yet VLC can play it. Take the disc out and replace with yet another "Hollywood" DVD and AnyDVD can again read the drive. So this looks like an AnyDVD "issue" with reading the disc, not a hardware problem.

Looking at the DVD in Windows ControlPanle/System/Devices/DVD I can see that the DVD uses a different File System than a typical DVD. The Hollywood DVD shows a filesystem type of: UDF, the "Fitness" DVD shows a file system type of: CDFS.

It looks like the copy mechanism / Filesystem being used can be dealt with by VLC, but not by AnyDVD. I thought AnyDVD provided a raw disk driver to allow it to handle non-standard (DVD) disk formats. I have been useing AnyDVD for years with no real issues, but this protection mechanism seems to give AnyDVD fits. Why can't AnyDVD read the disk?

Thanks,
Bobj.
UDF is mandatory for DVDs. If this disc doesn't have it, it isn't a DVD. Well, it is, but is outside the specs and you are lucky, if it plays at all. No copy protection, an authoring mistake.

Seems a CDFS DVD is the protection that can't be beat?

Thanks. I understand what you're saying, however I find it interesting that something as simple as this stops DVD copying. After continued research I found an old thread from 2005 on Videohelp that referenced a very similar issue. Looks like a Wedding photographer used this same trick (CDFS filesystem for a DVD) to keep people from copying his DVDs. Apparently, most of the copy protection packages couldn't break it then, and still can't deal with it today. CDFS might not be a "legit" DVD format, but if it allows authoring and playing a DVD on DVD players, but defeats copy busting software, sounds like a way to protect DVDs and defeat copying programs such as AnyDVD. I have never run into this before and am just surprised it is such a simple and effective "copy protection" mechanism. Guess I'll give up on trying to back up these disks, but will keep an eye out for this to show up on more DVDs in the future.

See this link: http://forum.videohelp.com/threads/217352-anybody-seen-this-kind-of-protection-before

Thanks for responding.

CDFS might not be a "legit" DVD format, but if it allows authoring and playing a DVD on DVD players,

no. if it plays, you are very lucky.
to copy it, you can use clonecd.

About the *.ini file in a bluray disc

I had the problem that I could not copy the movie to disc and the error said "drive not ready" or failure because the file was not in the disc. What I did was that I copied the files (not in ISO) to the hard disc, found the DESKTOP.INI in the folder, and deleted it. The problem was solved immediately. I think that there are some DVD's that have the same problem. Also, I think that it is a trick to fool people when they want a copy of their movies.

Also, I think that it is a trick to fool people when they want a copy of their movies.

Don't think. :D LOL
DVD's with wacky non-stadard file structures won't play in a lot of players.
Not a good copy-protection method at all. :)
-W

Thanks. I understand what you're saying, however I find it interesting that something as simple as this stops DVD copying. After continued research I found an old thread from 2005 on Videohelp that referenced a very similar issue. Looks like a Wedding photographer used this same trick (CDFS filesystem for a DVD) to keep people from copying his DVDs. Apparently, most of the copy protection packages couldn't break it then, and still can't deal with it today. CDFS might not be a "legit" DVD format, but if it allows authoring and playing a DVD on DVD players, but defeats copy busting software, sounds like a way to protect DVDs and defeat copying programs such as AnyDVD. I have never run into this before and am just surprised it is such a simple and effective "copy protection" mechanism. Guess I'll give up on trying to back up these disks, but will keep an eye out for this to show up on more DVDs in the future.

See this link: http://forum.videohelp.com/threads/217352-anybody-seen-this-kind-of-protection-before

Thanks for responding.

To clarify further: - Using the CD file system (CDFS) on DVD media - makes it a "giant CD" of sorts.
It's not really a "DVD" at all at that point. (except for the physical media it's recorded on)
Used mostly as a mass storage mechanism - not intentional copy protection.
-W

Last edited:
Thanks

Thanks for all your replies to my post. Honestly, I just had a disc that failed, even if it copied. I know what happens, thanks. I had never posted since I bought the software.

Back