• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Drive (Hardware) Region: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Do I need to set something?

CarlEHL

I use this drive for Blu-ray and UHD, but for the 1st time I'm ripping a DVD and received a warning about region setting recommendation for better CSS Key process, do I have to care? Thanks again!

For DVD's, yes you have to care. As it's the drive that checks disc region code, and an unset drive region forces anydvd to use a brute force cracking method (which has a higher chance of failure on short titles due to less material to work with) and takes longer, instead of being able to do it the quick and easy way when the drive region is properly assigned.

With an unset region, sooner or later you WILL encounter dvd css decryption problems, and looks like you already have on the 1st try. If you didn't need to care, anydvd wouldn't care to tell you about it.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Your drive region is set by Makemkv that AnyDVD is using for UHDs and now it looks as if it is a no-issue. If you still use DVD you should set your drive region in hardware like Chevron said and don't be mislead by this region info from AnyDVD.

Oh! I've found something quite strange again, the DVD region of the drive was already matching the disc's one. (R1)

I tried to reproduce the same warning again but had no luck anymore.

Depends on where you were looking. Anydvd's "dvd region" setting or the drive region, and with or without anydvd active while you were looking in device manager.

Long story short, this is my 1st UHD Friendly drive (WH14NS40). It had to be flashed to rip UHDs with AnyDVD, but I mistakenly flashed it with official UHD drive firmware (WH16NS60), among old and wrong firmwares, until it finally has been working as WH16NS40, ripping but not burning (I don't know since when, either why, but I found impossible to make it burn a single disc, even re-flashing it). So I got a 2nd same model unit that I don't plan to modify, in order to use as burner. I thought the 8 regions hardware reporting by AnyDVD thanks to the firmware patch were for real, and didn't care about the warning (now I see it didn't re-appear because all keys were in file, some guessed), since DVD Region tab in Drive Properties window shows R1 and 4 remaining changes (now I see AnyDVD must be disabled indeed), until I fired up PowerDVD and it suggested to set the drive's DVD region for the 1st time. I plugged the alternate unit and confirmed they come as R0 from LG. Regarding Blu-ray country and region setting it seemed to be A, according to PowerDVD, too. Thanks Ch3vr0n, and thanks coopervid (I've just found you helped me with a flash-related question, a couple of years ago, in MakeMKV forums).

Back