Dragonslayer

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by DrXenos, Dec 29, 2022.

1. DrXenos

DrXenos Well-Known Member

You should check out Project 4K77. They did 4K scans of the original films.

2. coopervid

coopervid Moderator

Very interesting! But believe me - Dave can do at least as good as them. I had some shorter clips from him from other movies and they were fantastic. Especially the DTS-MA sound.

whatever_gong82 and RedFox 1 like this.
  3. DrXenos

Is Dave doing upscales? These aren't upscales. They're scans of the original source elements.

4. RedFox 1

RedFox 1 Super Moderator

I have reel-to-reel tapes from 1940 encoded into 4K that looks amazing.

DrXenos and whatever_gong82 like this.
  5. DrXenos

Nice!

6. Lowpro

Lowpro Well-Known Member

Amazon.com listing for the Blu-ray has been updated. Official cover art is looking good. (y)

81f-k6QqsZL._SX342_.jpg

DrXenos likes this.
  7. Darth Sidious

Darth Sidious Well-Known Member

I've already compared the work of Project 4K77 with Dave's latest regrade of Star Wars A New Hope. They fall far short of this quality.

8. DaveO88

DaveO88 Moderator

well I now have one of 4K77,
    05-Star.Wars.4K77.2160p.UHD.DNR.35mm.x265-v1.0 and the quality is really funny :whistle:

Screenshot 2023-01-07 152105.png Screenshot 2023-01-07 152229.png :banghead:

RedFox 1 likes this.
  9. DrXenos

1.0 versions are preservation scans. They are the raw 4K scans of the 35mm film, before any cleanup such as color correction, etc.

Also, if you are trying to compare the quality of these scans with a remastered blu-ray, you're completely missing the point of the project.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2023
  10. DrXenos

If anyone is interested in this and still on the fence, the Blu-ray $14.99 and the 4K is on sale for $19.99 (Amazon US).

11. DQ

DQ Well-Known Member

That's not bad, that's the going rate for a 4k disc.

12. DrXenos

Yeah, and when I pre-ordered it, it was $24. What I like about Amazon is when you pre-order, you always get the lowest prices it goes to.

whatever_gong82 and DQ like this.
  13. DQ

DQ Well-Known Member

I did not know that!

14. DrXenos

Yeah, I love it. It's like set-it-and-forget-it!

15. George++

George++ Well-Known Member

I notice that the current pricing for the Blu-ray is "only" 17% off the list price. Even at the full suggested retail price of US$19.99 + tax is still a decent price for the movie. The 4K release is 23% off, from US$25.99 to US$19.99.

I don't have a 4K stand-alone player, only one TV capable of dealing with that input, and no computer 4K drives. The cost of going that extra step upgrade is sadly beyond my limited and very fixed income. :(

16. Lowpro

Lowpro Well-Known Member

I'm still at 2K myself. Have no desire to upgrade my home theater receiver, Blu-ray players, HDMI switches, cabling and projector, all of which are limited to 1080p. I watch all my content at 150" diagonal, the primary seating position being 14 feet away. The level of detail is more than sufficient. ;)

17. DrXenos

I only buy 4Ks when the blu-ray is either unavailable or deficient in someway where the former isn't. I'm only buying the 4K of Dragonslayer because it's one of my all-time favorites and I thought I'd never see it on blu-ray, let alone 4K.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2023
    whatever_gong82 and Lowpro like this.
  18. RedFox 1

RedFox 1 Super Moderator

If you really want to upscale from 1080p to 4K, the program to use is DaVinci Resolve Studio. It's made by Blackmagic. It's a bit expensive but for what it does, it's great. There is a bit of a learning curve, but nothing the people here can't handle. I think its a free trial, not sure though.