• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Dragonball Z orange box issues

techguy2k5

AnyDVD appears to read these discs properly, however the resultant ripped .vob files exhibit strange behavior when I attempt to play them (before I even mux or transcode). I've used both Power DVD 15 and VLC to play the vobs and see this behavior in both programs, though it appears not to be as bad in VLC. The symptoms are:

-incorrect video length (both in Windows Explorer and playback program)
-blocking/pixelation when scrubbing through the file
-repeating segments during playback, especially after scrubbing (looping a small amount of subsequent frames over and over)

Additionally, MKVToolNix gives thousands of errors like this:
VTS_02_1.VOB' track 3: This audio track contains 384 bytes of invalid data which were skipped before timecode 02:39:35.616000000. The audio/video synchronization may have been lost.

There's nothing wrong with the system or the Blu-ray drive I use to rip discs, I've ripped over 100 Blu-rays on this system with no issues there. This appears to be something specific to these discs. Has anyone else experienced an issue like this or have any suggestions?

With PowerDVD you play the VideoTS.IFO file - not VOB's

Thank you for your response. I must point out though, that there are multiple issues here and your response only addresses a single point. As I said, the files exhibit similar behavior in VLC. Also, when muxing the files to MKV I get thousands of errors in MKVToolNix regarding audio sync issues.

After ripping many, many DVDs (including other anime) and having no reoccurrence of the issue, I must attribute it to a problem either with the Dragonball Z orange box or Any DVD.

Thank you for your response. I must point out though, that there are multiple issues here and your response only addresses a single point. As I said, the files exhibit similar behavior in VLC. Also, when muxing the files to MKV I get thousands of errors in MKVToolNix regarding audio sync issues.

After ripping many, many DVDs (including other anime) and having no reoccurrence of the issue, I must attribute it to a problem either with the Dragonball Z orange box or Any DVD.
Does PowerDVD play the disc correctly with AnyDVD running?

Did you try to rip videodisc to harddrive and play that and see what happens?

I will test again and get back to you. I actually am having an issue with my Blu-ray drive now, will have to fix that first.

I will test again and get back to you. I actually am having an issue with my Blu-ray drive now, will have to fix that first.

99.5 % of the issues reported here usually come down to a bad disk, failing drive, or "strange software" misbehaving or being misused.
It's rare that AnyDVD (which is just a simple decrypter) is at fault. It happens - but not too often.

-W

99.5 % of the issues reported here usually come down to a bad disk, failing drive, or "strange software" misbehaving or being misused.
It's rare that AnyDVD (which is just a simple decrypter) is at fault. It happens - but not too often.

-W

As a long time PC technician and hardware enthusiast, I can appreciate that many software issues have a root cause which can be attributed to hardware failure or malfunction. In the instance of my Blu-ray drive not functioning properly however, it appears to be only a momentary malfunction as it is now working properly again. The drive is in an external USB 5.25" drive enclosure and is connected to my PC via a powered 36' USB extension cable. I have since moved the drive out to the office where my Plex server is located and connected the enclosure without this extension cable, and have successfully ripped "3:10 To Yuma" which was not ripping properly in the previous drive configuration. If issues reading discs return I shall resume troubleshooting.

Further back-story is required to fully understand and appreciate this situation. I have actually attempted to rip, and experienced this issue with Dragonball Z now on several occasions, the first of which dates back to approximately 2 years ago. At that time I was also using a different Blu-ray drive and an entirely different PC altogether, yet I encountered precisely the same issue. I figured I would give it another shot here a few weeks ago and encountered the issue again, and now once again after attempting the process one more time.

I am now going to test James' theory and will provide the results momentarily.

I've just tested this - the answer is yes. The problems I mentioned when attempting to playback ripped VOBs do not occur when attempting to play from the disc directly. I shall now re-rip the disc (since I deleted the last rip) and see if the issue is still occurring.

Here is the information from AnyDVD pertaining to this disc:

Summary for drive M: (AnyDVD HD 7.6.9.1, BDPHash.bin 15-08-10)
HL-DT-ST BD-REWH16NS40 1.00 N1A12A1K9F211A4234
Drive (Hardware) Region: 0 (not set!)

Current profile: DVD-ROM
Media is a DVD.
Booktype: dvd-rom (version 1), Layers: 2 (opposite)
Size of first Layer: 1921952 sectors (3753 MBytes)
Total size: 3838096 sectors (7496 MBytes)

Video DVD (or CD) label: DBZ_SEASON01_DISC1
Media is CSS protected!
Media is locked to region(s): 1 2 4!
Video Standard: NTSC

Structural copy protection not found.
RCE protection not found.
UDF filesystem patched!
Autorun not found on Video DVD.
Removed CSS copy protection!
Bad sector protection not found.
Emulating RPC-2 drive with region 1!

That's not a logfile. That's a copy paste of the status window. That said:

HL-DT-ST BD-REWH16NS40 1.00 N1A12A1K9F211A4234
Drive (Hardware) Region: 0 (not set!)

Video DVD (or CD) label: DBZ_SEASON01_DISC1
Media is CSS protected!

Set your drive hardware region, try again.

That's not a logfile. That's a copy paste of the status window. That said:

Set your drive hardware region, try again.

I didn't call it a log file :)

I did notice that as well, I will try changing the region and attempt to rip again, thanks.

I'm not having any luck changing the region code in Windows 10 or via AnyDVD.

Here's a screenshot of the settings window. I've tried having each of the first two boxes checked on their own, as well as together and there is no change in the status which reports that the hardware region is 0 (not set).

anydvd%20settings_zps3mb1gobn.jpg

That's because your specifying anydvd's region, not your drive hardware region. Disable anydvd, then go into Windows device manager and set your region.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 7 met Tapatalk

That's because your specifying anydvd's region, not your drive hardware region. Disable anydvd, then go into Windows device manager and set your region.

Got it, thanks. I've changed the region to 1 and will now attempt to re-rip!

If it still fails, provide a new anydvd logfile.

Changed the region and re-ripped, let me show you one of the issues I'm running into:

DBZ%20VOB%20runtime%20issues_zpsmovdyclh.jpg

Notice the values in the "length" column. These times are just plain wrong. When I go to play the first 1GB file, VTS_02_1 which is the first episode on the disc, the file plays but the runtime reported by the player is wrong just like what you see in Windows Explorer. Now if I go to Power DVD and play the VOBs, the run time appears correct, however when I skip ahead to a different point during the video it just starts repeating itself.

Here's the logfile

Attachments

• AnyDVD_7.6.9.1_Info_M_DBZ_SEASON01_DISC1.ziplog
    142.2 KB · Views: 1
Since you were able to rip completely, it's not an anydvd issue. Anydvd cannot alter the duration of files. As you say so yourself, PowerDVD reports the correct duration so the files are fine. Problem: the player / playback device.

I hear what you are saying, however, when I change the player (and use VLC) the symptoms remain.

And let me be clear. I'm not here to blame AnyDVD, I have not presumed the cause of my problem, I am only trying to get to the bottom of this and find a solution. Because if I can't make a working digital copy of this set, I need to sell it and get a different set altogether (likely Blu-ray).

Back