• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Request Downloaded subtitles (SRT) lose formatting tags

UnBaM

Hi, I recently started using your software and I'm enjoying it a lot. I noticed a weird behaviour that I would like to see rectified:

When downloading subtitles as SRT, they lose formatting tags.

I'm not entirely sure about the <i> tags, I would have to double check (and if those are lost too, I would love to be able to keep them) but I'm sure that "positional" tags, such as {\an8} are completely lost.

Since those are pretty useful, especially for forced tracks in different languages than the video, is it possible to fix this? Thanks a lot.

Hi, I recently started using your software and I'm enjoying it a lot. I noticed a weird behaviour that I would like to see rectified:

When downloading subtitles as SRT, they lose formatting tags.

I'm not entirely sure about the <i> tags, I would have to double check (and if those are lost too, I would love to be able to keep them) but I'm sure that "positional" tags, such as {\an8} are completely lost.

Since those are pretty useful, especially for forced tracks in different languages than the video, is it possible to fix this? Thanks a lot.
I am going to have to see a log file. I use the .srt subs all the time and see nothing weird.

I am going to have see a log file. I use the .srt subs all the time and see nothing weird.
It's a minor thing you might not even notice since the subtitles are still correct in their overall content.

I can give you a simple example, here are the first two lines from the italian subtitle in Jack Ryan S03E01, the first one is from AnyStream, the second is the "correct" one:

00:01:51,152 --> 00:01:54,156
AREA PROIBITA. VIETATO L'ACCESSO!
00:02:57,636 --> 00:03:00,222
Il test di lancio
ha avuto un intoppo.

-------------------------------------------

00:01:51,153 --> 00:01:54,156
{\an8}AREA PROIBITA. VIETATO L'ACCESSO!
00:02:57,636 --> 00:03:00,222
<i>Il test di lancio
ha avuto un intoppo.</i>

-------------------------------------------

As you can see, both {\an8] and <i> are lost.

We will look into it, thank you for your input.:)
Thank you for the quick replies.

Just to confirm, I tested a Netflix movie too, and the formatting tags are lost there as well. I also remember them being absent from Disney+ downloads, so it's not Amazon specific, it's just how AnyStream treats srt subtitles.

Thank you for the quick replies.

Just to confirm, I tested a Netflix movie too, and the formatting tags are lost there as well. I also remember them being absent from Disney+ downloads, so it's not Amazon-specific, it's just how AnyStream treats srt subtitles.
Thanks for the input. Have a nice evening.

Just a guess...but AS may be converting the VTT file to SRT....in this case, the tags are lost. I'm not sure there is a way to prevent it. The HTML player doesn't use SRT so
the conversion would be necessary to create the file as the provider would not send the SRT.

I assume you downloaded the "correct" SRT directly using a different program.

Are there any news on this? It's been a while and subtitles are still downloaded without formatting tags. For reference, I can download the corrected subtitles using some simple and open source browser scripts like this one , so I think this could be "easily" fixed.

Thanks!

Are there any news on this? It's been a while and subtitles are still downloaded without formatting tags. For reference, I can download the corrected subtitles using some simple and open source browser scripts like this one , so I think this could be "easily" fixed.

Thanks!
subtitles are just fine. I’ve been using them all day.

Do you remember the issue? We talked about this and I already explained what happens in the third post of this topic. They are "fine" as in "are being downloaded". But they are not perfect nor correct.

I guess that won't change (soon), due to compatibility reasons... not all players work with positioning tags.

when i get this right

"AREA PROIBITA. VIETATO L'ACCESSO"
is italian for something like
"PROHIBITED AREA ACCESS FORBIDDEN"

which is probably a sign or shield's text.
{\an8} is an ass position tag for upper centered position which makes sense for a sign.

so whoever is supplying the italian subs for this show wrote them in ass and the conversation (for amazon) to srt "copied" the italic tags <i> </i> just over and couldnt find a replacement for the an8 in srt and "copied" it too.
so the an8 may gets interpreted by some players and shows up but would be better to use ass instead of srt.

this obv doesnt changes the fact that anystream is killing tags which it shouldnt imo.
cause why we can get video and audio untouched and subs getting "cleaned".

Then please check out TTML , the positioning information is included there.

Then please check out TTML , the positioning information is included there.
i heard of ttml but from reading quick, it looks like quite annoying format for subs imo.
ass can probably do everything what ttml can do but much easier to handle.

ok besides the pc and apple devices, less supported but meh you can burin them for that purpose.

Well, TTML is implemented in AnyStream, while ASS is not ...
Take it or leave it.:rolleyes:

never noticed it before xD

but yea lets test it if the formatting gets only killed in srt or ttml too.
@UnBaM can you please check this out with your show and episode?

would be interessting for everyone in the thread i think.

Back