• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Question Download Speed

KingThistle

Hi All,

I notice there is a download speed setting and i have set it to Realtime. My thinking was it would most closely mimic actually watching a stream.

Do most people use unlimited? Am I being overly cautious? I have a 1gig fibre connection so unlimited it pretty fast.

Thanks

I have also a 1Gbps connection, at first I was like you with speed x1 or x2, after a few weeks I set it to unlimited and I think 90% of users here have set to unlimited too, I only limit to 1 provider at a time to not have 2 downloads at the same time or sometimes set the speed to x4 or x8 but for hardware problem (I download faster than my hard drive can write).

It sounds like the question is, "Has anyone ever had a provider lock their account for fast downloading?" It seems like all of the dedicated apps for these services have a built-in download feature, so it's possible the provider just thinks you're fast-downloading that way?

Seems much more likely that a lot of downloads would make a provider suspicious, rather than sporadic fast downloads.

Since posting this a load of Netflix has just failed. That was after I went back to full speed.

I will leave it a few days and see what happens.

Since posting this a load of Netflix has just failed. That was after I went back to full speed.

I will leave it a few days and see what happens.
So this is a common topic here. No one knows for sure, none of us work for a provider. But here is my take based on my own tech experience.

There is no way they don't know what we are doing. Like any company, everything is a cost vs. reward calculation. Right now they are happy to take our cash every month and let us do whatever so long as we don't go insane or start sharing everything out to the world. I assume they would spend/lose far more to outright stop us or ban us from their platforms vs. just letting it ride as is and taking our money. Certainly that could change at any time for now it is what it is.

Technically speaking unlimited is fine. You are only going to pull from their CDNs so fast anyway as those things are setup to handle many simultaneous streams vs. outright raw speed.

In short. Set yourself to unlimited, pay the providers happily, don't try to scam them and for goodness sakes don't share/torrent what you pull down.

So this is a common topic here. No one knows for sure, none of us work for a provider. But here is my take based on my own tech experience.

There is no way they don't know what we are doing. Like any company, everything is a cost vs. reward calculation. Right now they are happy to take our cash every month and let us do whatever so long as we don't go insane or start sharing everything out to the world. I assume they would spend/lose far more to outright stop us or ban us from their platforms vs. just letting it ride as is and taking our money. Certainly that could change at any time for now it is what it is.

Technically speaking unlimited is fine. You are only going to pull from their CDNs so fast anyway as those things are setup to handle many simultaneous streams vs. outright raw speed.

In short. Set yourself to unlimited, pay the providers happily, don't try to scam them and for goodness sakes don't share/torrent what you pull down.
This is sound advice I think.

I'm not so sure they bother to maintain a list of which users are downloading movies. Not that they couldn't figure it out if they really wanted to, but as DQ said it's just not really a problem for them right now. Now if users were downloading their content without paying the monthly fee, then they would go to great lengths to stop that. But we're paying customers-- it just doesn't make business sense to stop us unless it gets crazy.

If I were working for a provider (and I am a software developer), then I would find a way to watermark each mp4 file with the user who downloaded it. Doesn't even need to be that sophisticated as most downloaders would have no idea how to even look for such a thing. Then in the future if the provider ever discovers torrents out in the wild of their content, they can trace it back and ban the user for ToS violations.

This is sound advice I think.

I'm not so sure they bother to maintain a list of which users are downloading movies. Not that they couldn't figure it out if they really wanted to, but as DQ said it's just not really a problem for them right now. Now if users were downloading their content without paying the monthly fee, then they would go to great lengths to stop that. But we're paying customers-- it just doesn't make business sense to stop us unless it gets crazy.

If I were working for a provider (and I am a software developer), then I would find a way to watermark each mp4 file with the user who downloaded it. Doesn't even need to be that sophisticated as most downloaders would have no idea how to even look for such a thing. Then in the future if the provider ever discovers torrents out in the wild of their content, they can trace it back and ban the user for ToS violations.
They could do this and it's been talked about before a number times on the forums if maybe it's already going on. But the long and the short of it is you authenticate to them to download a title. They know who you are so they don't really have to play any games like that in my opinion nor endure the cost of such an implementation as it's simply not necessary and companies don't normally spend big dollars on unnecessary things.

Now, we could maybe get into a discussion of how some or all of the providers farm out CDN services to other big companies (which I suspect is the case for most of them) and whether they makes some "disconnect" between authentication and actual download such that the left hand does not know what the right hand is doing. Even if that's the case (and that is questionable at best) it all rolls back to the original point. They can do something if they wanted to with some additional cost whether that is investment in 3rd party software, appliances or rolling their own platform. They currently just choose not to I suspect.

This is an abrasive analogy but I think it works well here. We are like fleas on a VERY large dog. So long as we are only so active and there are not too many of us the dog won't scratch and we live in a quasi-harmony with the dog. We become over active or over numerous and then maybe we get the dog's attention and the dog will scratch.

unilimited here since day 2 of owning AS. nothing ive snagged has ever shown in my watched lists, anywhere. i thought that was great until a second ago when i realized that maybe its not so good. then again, im still riding the train of thought, maybe it is better that way since it would be weird to see all 220 episodes of smallville appear in my watched list for tuesday, e.g. hahah. back to square one. unlimited. 500 in one go. more HDD space (just snagged a 16tb red pro, after snagging a 10tb a month and a half ago lol). more. more. ill never watch desperate housewives. but... it looks nice in the library. lets see how long 16tb will last. i give it two months tops. go. go. get down with the sickness. ooops. off topic. (cough) just use unlimited. youre already is deep trouble, just after a season or two downloaded (if TPTB decided so), so why not download 1000 more seasons?? im down with it. more! cheers.

Back