• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Download Speed Slowing Down?

Greg Alex

I have looked at many threads regarding this question, and there's a lot of conflicting information.

I know that for the most part download speed is outside of Anystream's control, and it also depends on the speed of the user's internet.

I have a fast internet, and i have noticed that after a certain amount of downloads, anywhere between 40-50 the download speed begins to slow down. It happened to me last month, and again today. Yesterday was downloading fine, average time, and today I have an extra 10-15 mins added on top of my average. Same as before I expect it to improve before it continues again.

is it something that Amazon is doing in the background or is it a limitation of the program? I read about the bucket, but i'm below the weekly limit. I read in the other thread that Anystream might pick a CDN server out of precaution which may slow the downloads down.....

Im using the unlimited setting by the way

<snip>

I have a fast internet, and i have noticed that after a certain amount of downloads, anywhere between 40-50 the download speed begins to slow down. It happened to me last month, and again today. Yesterday was downloading fine, average time, and today I have an extra 10-15 mins added on top of my average. Same as before I expect it to improve before it continues again.

<snip>

That's a meaningless comparison: different titles have different size, despite the same presentation time, even within the same season episodes can vary in size. I had one series where on season's episodes were 8GB+ and in other season 1.5GBish. So what I'm saying is you need to look at how much data is being pulled not how long an episode takes to dl.

That's a meaningless comparison: different titles have different size, despite the same presentation time, even within the same season episodes can vary in size. I had one series where on season's episodes were 8GB+ and in other season 1.5GBish. So what I'm saying is you need to look at how much data is being pulled not how long an episode takes to dl.
I'm fully aware of that, and i'm absolutely taking the file sizes into account. And i didn't even mention anything regarding episodes of shows (which i dont even download). I'm talking about movie files which range in size between 8gb-11gb. A file that is 8gb is now taking longer to download than before. even if i download the same file i did last week, it will take on average 15 mins longer.

In this thread, i'm talking specifically about the decrease in OVERALL download speed, not something that is based on specific file size big or small

I would also like to add that this isn't a major issue for me, but something that i noticed happening from time to time and i find it strange. As i know that my internet speed is not an issue. I didn't create this thread to make a stink about it, but simply point out that it happened before

I'm fully aware of that, and i'm absolutely taking the file sizes into account. And i didn't even mention anything regarding episodes of shows (which i dont even download). I'm talking about movie files which range in size between 8gb-11gb. A file that is 8gb is now taking longer to download than before. even if i download the same file i did last week, it will take on average 15 mins longer.

In this thread, i'm talking specifically about the decrease in OVERALL download speed, not something that is based on specific file size big or small

There's no limiting in the AS save for the throttling that you select, your ISP could be doing the limiting based on "application bandwidth," or it could be CDN load. The short of it is: with "unlimited," AS will pull at whatever rate it comes through the pipe...

There's no limiting in the AS save for the throttling that you select, your ISP could be doing the limiting based on "application bandwidth," or it could be CDN load. The short of it is: with "unlimited," AS will pull at whatever rate it comes through the pipe...
ok, is there any solution to that, or is that out of the user's control?

More than likely it's the CDN. If you think about it you are pulling data down in a manner (or speed) that would not be common for a typical viewer. I would imagine the way the CDN is setup and configured is around the typical viewer. So in other words, it might only go so fast because typically it does not need to move data any faster. Plus I am also sure they have protections built-in limiting what a user can pull. Combine this with the whole COVID bandwidth limiting thing and what you see is of course possible and unfortunately there is not much you can do about it outside of aborting the download and trying to reconnect to the provider. It is also possible a VPN might help, only because it might cause you to connect to a different CDN.

Something that complicates this is the CDN networks are probably not all the same so sometimes you get ABC speed and other times when connected to a different one you get XYZ speed.

But again ,as previously mentioned, this has nothing to do with AS and I seriously doubt it has anything to do with your ISP.

More than likely it's the CDN. If you think about it you are pulling data down in a manner (or speed) that would not be common for a typical viewer. I would imagine the way the CDN is setup and configured is around the typical viewer. So in other words, it might only go so fast because typically it does not need to move data any faster. Plus I am also sure they have protections built-in limiting what a user can pull. Combine this with the whole COVID bandwidth limiting thing and what you see is of course possible and unfortunately there is not much you can do about it outside of aborting the download and trying to reconnect to the provider. It is also possible a VPN might help, only because it might cause you to connect to a different CDN.

Something that complicates this is the CDN networks are probably not all the same so sometimes you get ABC speed and other times when connected to a different one you get XYZ speed.

But again ,as previously mentioned, this has nothing to do with AS and I seriously doubt it has anything to do with your ISP.
thanks for the post, while there's no clear answer it's starting to make a little more sense to me.

To further expand what @DarkQuark said, bear in mind, the CDN is only guaranteed to deliver upto 30ish Mega-bits-ps per stream, anything over that, you're taking their network outside the design capacity, so while they might allow it when they're not loaded, when there's pressure they might and most likely do ration the bandwidth, and that's for "4K" streams, for the usual 1080p stream bandwidth allocation demand would be along the lines of 5Mbps, and that's all that the CDN is guaranteed to deliver.

As for ISP, they could be throttling based on application but that depends on how much backhaul they have: if you're hogging the bandwidth (esp. in cases of cable subscribers) they might be limiting you...

To further expand what @DarkQuark said, bear in mind, the CDN is only guaranteed to deliver upto 30ish Mega-bits-ps per stream, anything over that, you're taking their network outside the design capacity, so while they might allow it when they're not loaded, when there's pressure they might and most likely do ration the bandwidth, and that's for "4K" streams, for the usual 1080p stream bandwidth allocation demand would be along the lines of 5Mbps, and that's all that the CDN is guaranteed to deliver.

As for ISP, they could be throttling based on application but that depends on how much backhaul they have: if you're hogging the bandwidth (esp. in cases of cable subscribers) they might be limiting you...
these details are appreciated! Just out of curiosity, since we're on topic of speed, do you mind saying how long on average it takes for you to download say a 9gb file? This question is addressed to anyone who wants to join the discussion.

these details are appreciated! Just out of curiosity, since we're on topic of speed, do you mind saying how long on average it takes for you to download say a 9gb file? This question is addressed to anyone who wants to join the discussion.

As long as it takes, I've got the providers configured to guaranteed minimum bandwidth but lowest priority because I do other things, so, again, comparisons in that area are meaningless...

Back