• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Download Quota

Pgraci

Hi All,

I had a suggestion/question. I understand the quota rule, I would prefer more, but I get it and that has been discussed plenty on this forum. The question I had is that if a download fails or aborts, why does it use one of the tokens? Especially with the current DRM issues, it went through all of my tokens on what was in my queue but failed to download anything.

To preempt the easy answer of, well just wait for more, I concede that works for most people, however, I am deploying soon to a location with very intermittent/no internet and can't wait for more. I would like to bring as many movies and tv shows as I can with me before I leave.

Again, merely a suggestion to think about implementing that in a future version, it would be nice if the tokens didn't get used up unless there is a successful download.

VR,
Pgraci

Agreed a token shouldn’t be removed until a download successfully starts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the tokens are a method of avoiding unwanted attention, then even merely kicking off a download would grant you unwanted attention. Whether it completes or not does not matter in that vein. So eating a token even for an attempt, to me, makes sense.

I would personally abuse such to download subtitles and if sizes not to my liking I would simply abort 50 times a day, also I would commit speed tests over my VPN's at least a hundred times a day if tokens we're deducted afterwards.. In current state I can't be abusive at all and maybe that's a good thing, it makes perfectly good sense as it is ;)

Now imagine thousands of users being that abusive like me compared to someones or very few lost tokens (which always replenish), what' option would be best for the future of the application I know you all enjoy very much :)

Last edited:
If a download aborts before it even starts why should a token be deducted? As the OP stated - "it went through all of my tokens on what was in my queue but failed to download anything". I ran in to the same thing today. I had a number of TV episodes queued and lost my internet connection for a while. While my internet was down AS tried to download but aborted each one in the queue and deducted a token for each one. That is why I suggested a token be deducted after a download successfully starts. If it is aborted after that then you have lost a token.

I had had this issue with earlier versions of AS. Aside from the DRM issue which could be partially to blame but who knows. I closed out AS and restarted my PC and went back into AS and my token count went back up to what it was before AS was crashing on me. I sure the devs will check on it but always leave a log file so they have an idea of what's exactly happening or causing the issue.

This is one you're never, ever going to win on these forums. I 100% agree with the theory though, and once again, point out that this is a flawed method of handing out things.
You do not pay for service that has not been rendered, ever. You pay once service has been confirmed to be working
Unfortunately, with the majority in this forum, you just have to 'accept' the flawed system.
I can't count the # of times I've had AS crash on me, mid download (on 4 services). That's 4 tokens I'm not getting back, because of a poorly put together system
The fact is that the token should be checked before download begins (to see if you can) and taken away after the download it successful.

Like I said, it's a losing battle on these forums however. Common sense seems to be just lost.

Maybe it's been discussed 1000 times before (but haven´t seen it yet), but why is there actually a number of tokens for all providers together? Doesn't it make more sense for each provider to take their own?

Currently 100 token can also be distributed to one provider which seems to be ok. Then why can't every provider get 100?

This is simply how the system was designed. Right or wrong, it is a hat it is. Another case of don’t argue with it. Don’t try to change it, it won’t go over well with most

That's 4 tokens I'm not getting back, ...
Say what?!?
Just wait about two and a half hours and you will have your tokens back ... could you please refrain from seeing tokens as something you actually pay for :banghead:

And before you start with "time is money" ... that would only apply, if you would sell that "product"

This is simply how the system was designed. Right or wrong, it is a hat it is. Another case of don’t argue with it. Don’t try to change it, it won’t go over well with most

Sure, nothing is perfect but look what we have and what we can do. I don't think it's worth throwing a fuss over but that's just me. Suggestions and discussion are fine, that's how the program gets better over time but whining is counterproductive in my opinion.

Sure, nothing is perfect but look what we have and what we can do. I don't think it's worth throwing a fuss over but that's just me. Suggestions and discussion are fine, that's how the program gets better over time but whining is counterproductive in my opinion.

I like to repeat it over and over again. It's a great program! But everything can still get better. :) And it will.

Guys, has anyone thought that the AS developers also have to protect their intellectual property ?!

If the weekly limit wasn't 280, what would stop me from letting 100 of my friends use my license?

the 280 / week also limit the use / exploitation of the program.

And I think that's perfectly fine!
After all, everyone who has bought a lifetime license still gets updates, innovations and support here via the forum without having to pay again every time!

So, relax and enjoy the films that you have already downloaded and haven't seen yet.

If the weekly limit wasn't 280, what would stop me from letting 100 of my friends use my license?

Pretty easy actually, that would require them to install the software and activate it with your license. That connects to the activation servers and seeing a 100 different activation connections from difference areas/ips/devices would be a easy giveway as to "unauthorized license sharing" and get the license blacklisted probably pretty quick. Then none of you would be able to download ;) even with a limit :p

Pretty easy actually, that would require them to install the software and activate it with your license. That connects to the activation servers and seeing a 100 different activation connections from difference areas/ips/devices would be a easy giveway as to "unauthorized license sharing" and get the license blacklisted probably pretty quick. Then none of you would be able to download ;) even with a limit :p
Also agrees again.
However, they would then only have thousands on a blacklist, so that doesn't help either.

Just so that this is not misunderstood:
I defended the DL limit. :rockingchair:

This is one you're never, ever going to win on these forums. I 100% agree with the theory though, and once again, point out that this is a flawed method of handing out things.
You do not pay for service that has not been rendered, ever. You pay once service has been confirmed to be working
Unfortunately, with the majority in this forum, you just have to 'accept' the flawed system.
I can't count the # of times I've had AS crash on me, mid download (on 4 services). That's 4 tokens I'm not getting back, because of a poorly put together system
The fact is that the token should be checked before download begins (to see if you can) and taken away after the download it successful.

Like I said, it's a losing battle on these forums however. Common sense seems to be just lost.

I agree, I don't think the token should be deducted until the download legitimately STARTS (doesn't have to FINISH). Network timeouts before a download even STARTS deducts a token, then by the time your queue all times out, you find you've lost a good handful of tokens. It's hard when there's software bugs that come out of nowhere and BEYOND the user control. You're totally right on this post though. Right or wrong, you could argue a legitimate issue until your blue in the face, as a lot of us have. Just ends up in some sort of censorship and messages deleted if they don't like what you say (proof or no proof provided unfortunately). :(

I agree, I don't think the token should be deducted until the download legitimately STARTS (doesn't have to FINISH).

That is something i suggested in the not too distant past but to use a "token reservation" approach instead.

User clicks title > AS checks token availability > reserves token when user selects "download". Then you have 3 options

* download finishes succesfully (as in post processing complete) > reserved token gets deducted
* USER opts for a download abort (picked a wrong setting) > reserved token gets deducted, as the abort is USER decided
* download aborts automatically (either due to network problems, AS crashes,...) which results in an incomplete title > backend system "detects" somehow the post processing was not completed > reserved token gets released back into to the bucket for the user to try again

Now the logic behind this is simple as it sais, if it's as simple to implement, i have no idea.

Actually subtitles are downloaded if not embedded, even if AS crashes nowadays with NF.
And as BoomKapoow pointed out, that could be easily exploited.
So IMO its correct, as soon as ANYTHING is downloaded, even if not fully complete, the tokencount must decrease.

Yup abuse would be tremendous when users trying to harvest not only subtitles but also abusers seeking to DL at highest possible speeds over VPN's or users simply aborting half way, granting this request would mean a lot of suspect behavior .. meaning maybe even more DRM issues, maybe that's what some prefer?, not being able to download anything at all? you all enjoy current situation? .. as of now I get more than I possibly can chew so can't really complain, it's not perfect but much better than alternative

That is why the token should be deducted immediately after the download starts, when the first packet, or whatever you want to call it, is received. If it aborts before that then no token is deducted. If it aborts after that then you lose a token.

This would prevent network issues with nothing getting downloaded from eating up your tokens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back