• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Dolby Vision

Let's clear up some stuff.

MP4 Maker is not needed if you own CloneBD as it'll do the same MP4 output with Dolby Vision. And yes, I'm aware that some inventive people are working on hacking HD audio formats into the MP4 container so that eventually if they're successful you'll get to keep everything in theory. That's a work in progress. But for now, you can just use CloneBD as it'll create Dolby Vision MP4's with lossy audio (ac3, dts).

Next, and this is very important, the nVidia SHIELD does NOT support Dolby Vision at the time of this writing. It MAY at some future point. There's a new SHIELD model making its way through the FCC and it's rumored to maybe support Dolby Vision but that remains to be seen. So the SHIELD is out for this discussion for now.

The LG tv's have a built in media software that support Dolby Vision in an MP4. That is how you'd play them. I've not personally had the ambition to bother trying it myself, but, I've read that it works just fine.

Obviously, the big caveat is that for now HD audio formats are out. For now, at least.

“MP4 Maker is not needed if you own CloneBD as it'll do the same MP4 output with Dolby Vision.”

So if you don’t convert anything and just use CloneBD to make an MKV file you lose Dolby Vision but if you buy CloneBD and convert/transcode it to MP4 you keep Dolby Vision? But I also see that you only get 640kbps AC3. With CloneBD you can make AC3 or higher (1500kbps-ish) bit rate regular DTS,

My 77C9 died after 36 days so I’ve got no way to test it now but I thought I had Dolby Vision in the simple MKV. I just had to make a regular DTS only audio track as the LG media player will not even try to play the HD audio track that should have regular DTS in them.

Last edited:
Dolby Vision with MKV is a non-starter so give up on that idea completely. There's no support for it in the MKV spec as of yet and that's not likely to change any time soon. It's not that you "lose Dolby Vision" with MKV, it's that it's completely unsupported.

MP4 as a format does not support HD audio, which I said. So yes, you're only going to be able to do AC3 or DTS, depending on what the original source track is. I.E. if it's DTS-HD MA/DTS:X then you'll be able to get a DTS track. If it's TrueHD/ATMOS then you'll be able to get an AC3 track. This is true whether you use CloneBD or MP4 Maker. It's a limitation of the MP4 format. Besides, unless you have eARC on your TV and receiver, HD audio isn't going to do you a whole lot of good anyway as the only player that I know of that supports this whole concept is the LG's built in player. And since you can only drive HD audio back to the receiver using eARC, most of us can't do that even if we could somehow magically get MP4 to support HD audio. That being said, people are working on the concept of HD audio being stitched into an MP4 container. It's definitely a "hack" of sorts as the container format doesn't support it, but, they might have some success. Nonetheless, if you don't have a player that can pass through the receiver for audio and send the Dolby Vision video to the TV OR have a TV and receiver that support eARC, HD audio support is meaningless.

In any case, if you're hellbent on keeping Dolby Vision in your file backups, this is the only method available for now.

It’s not so much being hell bent, it’s just that each upgrade on its own is pretty ho-hum. I got the 4k HDR TV in the hopes of also getting a 4k HDMI 2.1 AVR and getting HD audio and maybe even an Atmos setup.

I also thought MKV was just a container and didn’t see why Dolby Vision would be removed. Is it like copy protection or just extra files that MKV won’t allow? Is Dolby Atmos the same deal? I just thought they would both be encoded in the audio and video and ignored by older equipment.

So if you get the bd-mod hardware you can make an ISO and it will read it from external or network storage but it must be a full ISO, you can’t use CloneBD and make an ISO with just the movie?

Dolby Vision is NOT embedded into the video at all. It's a separate track. And you can add it to the MKV just fine, but, nothing will play it. Dolby Vision is a proprietary format that Dolby refuses to share information about. As such there's no proper way to store it in an MKV container, no video decoder that can decode it, and no video renderer that can play it. If Dolby ever decided to release information about the spec, the MKV spec could be enhanced quite easily to support it. The splitter/decoder/etc have to know how the data in the MKV is stored, that's why it doesn't work and why people say it's not supported in MKV....you CAN shove the data in there, but, no one can do anything with it. So that's Dolby Vision....

Dolby ATMOS is slightly different as that IS embedded in the TrueHD audio track as additional metadata. Sticking that in an MKV is not trivial, however, and so far only CloneBD does it correctly with all ATMOS tracks that I've tested. Disney ATMOS tracks being the most pain in the ass. CloneBD rewrote their entire MLP support to fix this issue.

CloneBD can definitely make a movie only ISO keeping the Dolby Vision and Dolby ATMOS in tact. I've done it. I've written it (using slight compression) to a BD-RW 50 and played it in my UB820 with no problem. I believe you're referring to the modified Oppo thing when you say bd-mod hardware, and from what I understand that'll work great with your movie only ISO.

I hope this helps!

Thanks for the info.

“you can add it to the MKV just fine, but, nothing will play it.”

Will CloneBD include it or no because it’s assumed nothing can use it?

I’ve read a few pages of a thread about the device with Oppo firmware and they say it will play MKVs with Dolby Vision. So most or all other players know not what to do with the Dolby Vision track if in a MKV? All MP4 players like the LG TVs media player know what to do with the Dolby Vision track but not if part of an MKV?

If they every fix my TV (Going into week two and they’ve not even had time to look at it.) the only way (without the Oppo device) to try Dolby Vision is to buy CloneBD and make a MP4 that the LG TV will play.

No, CloneBD won't add it to the MKV because there's no spec on how to do it. I"m surprised that the Oppo would play Dolby Vision in an MKV...are you sure that's the case? I'd believe it can do it from an mp4 or an ISO but it'd be the only device to do so in an MKV.

no no, the oppo does not play mkv with DV.
Dolby does not support mkv with DolbyVision, so there is no player available. The Oppo plays DV in mp4, ts, m2ts and ISO

How does MP4 know how to deal with the Dolby Vision track?

I'll look through the rest of the thread but it was listed (not someone saying it worked) twice in the first 10 pages of the 50 page thread about the hacked Oppo firmware on not really Oppo hardware.

mp4 works with DV because Dolby has designed it himself.
Also in the clone Oppo is right Oppo hardware:whistle:
Screenshot_20190729-075359_Samsung Internet.jpg

Right Dolby released a tool on github to create Dolby vision mp4 content. That tool is the basis for all the work that's been done in the Dolby vision space.

As for the oppo I'd be very surprised if it played Dolby vision from an mkv container.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

As for the oppo I'd be very surprised if it played Dolby vision from an mkv container.
No, it certainly does not. NOTHING does.
And IMHO Dolby Vision is just some money making machine for Dolby. Nothing more.
A Dolby Vision encode may indeed look "different". But does it look "better"? :rolleyes:

And IMHO Dolby Vision is just some money making machine for Dolby. Nothing more.
A Dolby Vision encode may indeed look "different". But does it look "better"? :rolleyes:

yes James, Dolby Vision is way better than HDR. I did many comparisons and most of the time, HDR looks washed out compared to DV.
In some rare case it looks pretty much the same but it never look worse.

http://www.framecompare.com/image-compare/screenshotcomparison/21BJNNNU

Last edited:
You know my opinion...I don't waste my time worrying about proprietary formats that are difficult to use.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Long time AnyDVD HD user, first time poster.

Just thought I'd chime in that I recently decided to start ripping my UHD collection to my NAS for playback similar to my Blu-ray collection. After some research, I decided to buy the Oppo-like M9702 (google it) from a seller who uses jailbroken Oppo firmware to provide full HDR10/Dolby Vision AND Dolby Atmos/DTS X playback over network (or attached storage) from either an ISO or BD folder structure. Received the unit yesterday and it works like a charm. Has the exact Oppo menu/settings options. Plays back my UHD backups perfectly.

For anyone who is interested, thought I'd provide feedback as very little is reviewed/talked about for this player. 100% recommend for those looking for perfect 1:1 playback of backups.

in the German section we talk a lot about the M9702 ;)
I should have said for the Stateside users, very little is talked about this (sometimes it is mentioned in passing in forums like AVS but never in depth). It was piecing together info from foreign forums I worked up the nerve to purchase it and give it a go. 100% satisfied. Works like a charm!

Back