• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Does CloneDVD compress PCM audio?

TU3yZ

Hello everyone,

I am wondering if CloneDVD compresses PCM audio to fit on a 4.7GB DVD like it does video? Or, does it just compress video?

I'm trying to figure out if I should use PCM or Dolby stereo (2-channel) when I try to save my old wearing-out VHS tapes to DVD.

If CloneDVD does not compress the audio, then that has to take away from the quality of the video when trying to compress it down to a 4.7GB image. If that's the case (CloneDVD does not compress audio), them maybe I should create the VHS->DVD image with Dolby stereo (2 channel) to get the audio compression and get improved overall movie quality on a 4.7GB DVD?

I'm wondering if Dolby stereo (2-channel) is support on any "decent" DVD player in the US?

I would probably use MPEG-1 layer 2 (MPA) for the audio compression, BUT my understanding is that it is "optional" on NTSC DVD players and required on PAL DVD players, and I'm in the US where NTSC is the norm/standard? So, is Dolby stereo (2 channel) more widely supported in US DVD players than PCM?

Sorry for all of the questions. I am just trying to *optimize* the quality of the old movies archived from the VHS tapes, so I don't have to worry about the tapes wearing out anymore, and so I can say I have saved the best possible quality from the VHS tapes, and so I can forget about the deteriorating tapes.

Any recommendations?

For example, can I take a DVD image with a PCM audio stream and convert it to Dolby 5.1 stereo later, forgetting about the Dolby surround sound component, and vice versa? Any utilities to do that?

Thanks guys!

Taz

i was under the impression that only the video is compressed.

also,i thought hi-fi vhs stereo tapes only handled dolby stereo-vhs is analogue so it wont have a PCM audio track on it.
video dvd's can have dolby 5.1 surround sound-this will probably be PCM.
if your transferring hi-fi stereo vhs tapes to dvd,the dolby stereo should be carried over to the dvd via the left and right audio connection.
if the vhs stuff your transferring is 2 hours or less,i'd stick to one tape per dvd then you wont have to worry about video compression.
vhs copied to dvd in sp (dvd 2hr), or even lp (dvd 3hr) mode will still retain the vhs tape quality.

Back