• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

...does AnyDVD HD need to have access to the Internet?

CuddlySquid

Things are going well and everyone's been very helpful. I have only a few more questions, this time about AnyDVD itself.

To ask bluntly: To perform its function, does AnyDVD HD need to have access to the Internet?

Thank You.

Not always but sometimes

Some disc keys get store in the AnyDVD code when the program is downloaded or updated, however new discs sometimes need to connect to Slysoft's servers in order to properly decrypt and of course update notifications require internet connection.

Some disc keys get store in the AnyDVD code when the program is downloaded or updated, however new discs sometimes need to connect to Slysoft's servers in order to properly decrypt and of course update notifications require internet connection.
What about during installation? Does AnyDVD HD need to connect to the Internet during its installation?

Thank You.

Alternative

It can be installed from a thumb drive but don't forget you'll need the license from the email to install on your desktop to enable it. So save that to a thumb drive as well.

What about during installation? Does AnyDVD HD need to connect to the Internet during its installation?

Thank You.

No. It does not need to be "activated" like most other programs.

Thank you.

I assume that when it encounters a "new" encryption, AnyDVD HD wants to "phones home" to get a patch. Right?

Assuming the answer is "Yes", can the patch be obtained using a different computer, then transferred to the computer in which AnyDVD HD is resident?

Assuming the answer to the "transfer" question is "No", is there a workaround? Are the coders at SlySoft willing to consider a workaround? ...perhaps utilizing certificates to assure authentication. I have good reason for asking these questions, and my situation will someday become the norm for computing, but I don't want to trouble other members of this forum with a lot of details (unless, of course, I'm asked).

Thank You.

Thank you.

I assume that when it encounters a "new" encryption, AnyDVD HD wants to "phones home" to get a patch. Right?

yes, it does call home.

Assuming the answer is "Yes", can the patch be obtained using a different computer, then transferred to the computer in which AnyDVD HD is resident?

no, it can't be transferred from different computers.

Assuming the answer to the "transfer" question is "No", is there a workaround? Are the coders at SlySoft willing to consider a workaround? ...perhaps utilizing certificates to assure authentication. I have good reason for asking these questions, and my situation will someday become the norm for computing, but I don't want to trouble other members of this forum with a lot of details (unless, of course, I'm asked).

Thank You.

Maybe Slysoft will consider, ask them about it.

no, it can't be transferred from different computers.
Actually most of it can be transferred manually (there is always an exception to the rule, but only with a few discs nobody knows or cares about). I won't go into details, but a person with computer knowledge should be able to figure it out.

Actually most of it can be transferred manually (there is always an exception to the rule, but only with a few discs nobody knows or cares about). I won't go into details, but a person with computer knowledge should be able to figure it out.

I know I have done it in past quite few times. However I don't want to create un-necessary confusion for users.

Ah, James, I just sent you an email. And now I find you are monitoring this thread... :)

Thank you, Hawk.

Actually, though I'm a hardware engineer, I've actually disassembled a virus to see how it "got to me". So, I'm a bit of a software hack (C, Java, PHP, Python, Perl, basic, Pascal, FORTRAN, etc., etc., etc. ...and assembly languages for a bunch of processors).

I'm not sure if a BD drive can be accessed in XP. If it can, and if the Intel HDMI driver can be shared with a virtual machine, then I can create throw-away XP virtual machines in which to install AnyDVD HD. If all that is possible (...which I doubt), then I have no problem. Otherwise, the only virtual machine I have and that has access to the Internet is a Linux virtual machine. Of course, AnyDVD HD doesn't work with Linux. So, I would have to use the Linux VM only to download updates for AnyDVD HD (which would necessarily be running in the Win7-64b Host machine). That would be fine, but the Win7-64b Host doesn't have access to the Internet. This is by design. If you, the reader (whomever...), understand how Sandboxie works, then take the concept to its logical conclusion: A full virtual machine. That's my setup.

Back