• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Does AnyDVD(HD) allow viewing/ripping of Region B and C Blu-Ray Disks?

Yodasan

Does AnyDVD(HD) allow viewing/ripping of Region B and C Blu-Ray Disks?

I'm in the US and had a BD-RE drive installed in my PC, it plays region A Blu-Ray disks, and allows me to record data to blank Blu-Ray disks just fine.

I'm interested in buying some region B Blu-Rays, but am not sure if they will play on my PC.

Will AnyDVD(HD) be able to 'see' the disks? Are the region codes a function of the player software(in this case AnyDVD(HD), or of the Blu-Ray drive hardware?

In other words, will AnyDVD(HD) be able to rip region B Blu-Rays using my Blu-Ray computer drive?

Thanks!

Anydvd couldn't care less what region the disc is from by itself. All it sees is a disc with data on it. Your drive plays region A, B and C just perfectly. When it comes to blu-ray on a PC, the region lock is determined by the DISC and the playback software NOT the drive. The drive region only affects DVD's. Region codes for blu-rays are stored at the disc level, not the drive level.

Now, as far as the actual playing goes. You will need to remove the region code from the discs, but that is something anydvd can help you with in the Video Blu-ray settings. Simply enable the checkbox to "remove blu-ray region code", and then speficy the DISC's! region. It is VITAL for a blu-ray you specify the region of the DISC, NOT your own. Specifying the wrong disc region or chosing region free when it's not WILL render the disc unuseable.

Whoa, that was fast! Thanks! So, I would need to specify region 'B'(when ripping region 'B' disks)? How does specifying the wrong region, or 'region free' make the disc unuseable? Does it write something to the disc?

You'd need to specify getting B yes, if they are multi region like B/C either will do. I don't know the technicalities about it, but the region is stored in the Java code. I'd have to assume that the fixes to remove the region have an adverse effect if the wrong one is selected.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 7 met Tapatalk

How does specifying the wrong region, or 'region free' make the disc unuseable?

AnyDVD makes the disc think it is always being played in the Region that you select.
So if you select 'A' on region B locked disc, it will become unusable on any player as the disc will always play as if it was in a Region A player (and always show the wrong region message)
If you selected region free on a region B disc, then no changes are made and the disc will play as it would normally (still locked to B).

All you have to do is select the Region the disc is from and you will never have a problem :)

Note: If the disc is region free, it doesn't matter what you select, that disc will always remain region free (AnyDVD won't make it unusable)

Euhm, if you select region free when it isn't, it will become unusable. There's a difference between payable in A, B and C (as on the packaging) and actually being region free.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 7 met Tapatalk

Euhm, if you select region free when it isn't, it will become unusable.

No it won't. If you select Region Free AnyDVD does not touch the region - why would it, if you just told it that it's already region free ;)
The disc will still be usable in whatever region it is locked to.

No it won't. If you select Region Free AnyDVD does not touch the region - why would it, if you just told it that it's already region free ;)
The disc will still be usable in whatever region it is locked to.
Correct. "region free" is a usability shortcut for "don't remove region code". And AnyDVD will remember this setting for this particular disc, if region removal is set to "automatic".

Surely AnyDVD HD isn't actually changing anything on the disk, which is, after all, read only.

If you did make a mistake and tell it, for instance, that one of your region A disks was region B (so that when you tried to play it with AnyDVD HD enabled you got a message that you were in the wrong region) then all it would take to regain access on that PC would be to delete the relevant item underneath [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SlySoft\AnyDVD\BDRegion2] in your Windows registry. Or presumably you could delete all of them, which I think would make AnyDVD HD prompt again for you to tell it the region of any disk you inserted for which it needed to know the region.

If you did make a mistake and tell it, for instance, that one of your region A disks was region B (so that when you tried to play it with AnyDVD HD enabled you got a message that you were in the wrong region) then all it would take to regain access on that PC would be to delete the relevant item underneath [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SlySoft\AnyDVD\BDRegion2] in your Windows registry. Or presumably you could delete all of them, which I think would make AnyDVD HD prompt again for you to tell it the region of any disk you inserted for which it needed to know the region.

Change the setting in AnyDVD to "Always ask for region code of inserted disc" and then reinsert the problematic disc and manually enter the proper region. After that then go back and switch the setting to "Automatic". Problem solved without wiping the info from other discs already cached, getting complicated, or worse yet possibly messing up an entire computer because of a mistake while playing around with the Windows Registry.

Back