• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Documentary DVD, completely impossible to rip. Possible new protection(?)

Kishiro

Factory-pressed, retail DVD (upc 818522012179) of a documentray called 'Trce Amounts'

Some of the vob-files on the disc are hidden and read-only. They were also completely unreadable. First I tought the disc was bad, but it works fine in a standalone DVD-player. The only way I was able to begin to rip some few megabytes of the 'bad' files, was to enable AI Scanner "(Always enabled)". But it also fails after a couple of minutes with the message Error "PS 18"

Log;
View attachment AnyDVD_7.6.0.1_Info_H__TRACE_AMOUNTS.ziplog

That's an unprotected single layer disc. Is that a retail one? Anyway since it's unprotected you should be able to do a simple file copy with windows explorer. If that fails you've got a defective disc and need to return it.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 7 met Tapatalk

That's an unprotected single layer disc. Is that a retail one? Anyway since it's unprotected you should be able to do a simple file copy with windows explorer. If that fails you've got a defective disc and need to return it.

Yes, it is a retail disk. And no, I don't think it's defective. it works without a hitch in a standalone player. All the files can be copied, *except* for the two main vob-files (the main video, vts_01_1.vob, vts_01_2.vob). And these files are also the *only* files on the disc with hidden attributes. I've never seen a store-bought disc were the main vob-files were hidden before. Also, windows explorer, total commander, dvddecryper etc. won't even begin to copy the 'bad files'. They stop immediately with 'can't read file' error upon hitting the files. The files before copies fine (the ifos etc.)

Just because it plays fine doesn't mean it will rip fine. If even windows explorer nor total commander will even begin well how much more proof do you need? It's a defective disc, exchange it.

I'm telling you, it's not a defective disc. It's some structural or bad sector protection-scheme of sorts.
And here's something weird I discovered; All software I try to open the 'bad' vob-files with, or even view, fails immediately with a read-error. (The DVD-drive does not seem to try to read at all, it just fails). If I try to open the file in Media Player Classic it fails as all the other software, *BUT* if I open the video_ts.ifo-file in Media Player Classic, go to the menu, and selects 'play'. IT WILL PLAY THE MOVIE (which is the 'bad' vob-file)
Any crc-test or bad sector scan by any software (that I've tried) will fail to read a single byte of the two 'bad vob-files', they will claim that all the sector's they use are bad and unreadable.

It's not a protection issues. It doesn't even have CSS protection. You say it yourself, all software reports read errors. Point blank definition of defective disc right there, playing fine means absolutive nothing!

Standalone players can skip bad spots etc, computer drives can't. They have to produce a bit-exact copy, of the drive encounters a sector if can't read, the data stops flowing to the software that does the ripping and the drive errors or with a read error. Exchange the disc.

Trace Amounts - clonemap 1 error

Just an FYI - My DVD of this same disc - Trace Amounts - has the identical issues. I doubt both are bad discs, but these do appear to be non-standard encryptions of some sort, and won't copy using standard methods, even though they may not be copy protected. I'll try a few other methods and post if I get it to work.

Trace Amounts - Update

I WAS able to copy the two offending files, via Roadkil's Unstoppable Copier. The other files I copied via drag/drop. Movie seems to play fine from my hard drive. Converting to mkv via Handbrake now, to use with my Plex server. Hope that helps he person who initially started this post.

Thanx drchaosca :)

I tried it, and can confirm it works. :) The file-size is correct and nothing seems to have been compromised. The authoring house seemingly made invalid pointers to the first 40 first sectors of the two 'bad' files as some sort of half-assed 'copy protection', as well as hiding them with hidden-attributes so that most software won't list the two main vob-files. AnyDVD ought to be abe to handle it with AI Scanner set to 'force', but as I mentioned it will fail after 20-30 megs copied (it seems to pass the bad sectors and the data it's copying is fine and dandy, the stream after the invalid sectors is just fine so I don't know why it crashes). Hopefully it will work in future versions. I remember AnyDVD having major problems with various UK bfi DVDs (like 'The Devils') for a long, long time, then suddenly it started working in the newer versions.

Thanx drchaosca :)

I tried it, and can confirm it works. :) The file-size is correct and nothing seems to have been compromised. The authoring house seemingly made invalid pointers to the first 40 first sectors of the two 'bad' files as some sort of half-assed 'copy protection', as well as hiding them with hidden-attributes so that most software won't list the two main vob-files. AnyDVD ought to be abe to handle it with AI Scanner set to 'force', but as I mentioned it will fail after 20-30 megs copied (it seems to pass the bad sectors and the data it's copying is fine and dandy, the stream after the invalid sectors is just fine so I don't know why it crashes). Hopefully it will work in future versions. I remember AnyDVD having major problems with various UK bfi DVDs (like 'The Devils') for a long, long time, then suddenly it started working in the newer versions.

I'm sure that if James thinks there's a potential for this scheme to have "legs", that's he'll order the disk and have a look at it for himself.
It might help to post an Amazon link to this disk (as well as the UPC number from your first post).
-W

Trace Amounts - Update

I WAS able to copy the two offending files, via Roadkil's Unstoppable Copier. The other files I copied via drag/drop. Movie seems to play fine from my hard drive. Converting to mkv via Handbrake now, to use with my Plex server. Hope that helps he person who initially started this post.

Worked like a charm! The hidden file in the VIDEO_TS folder was definitely a copy protection attempt. Roadkil opened it up easily.

Back