• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Do I need DL?

wttwoa

im wanting to start backing up my dvds and i will probably get clonedvd2 and anydvd, and im wondering if i will need dual layer blanks? i wont be using menus or anything just the main movie and audio, and none of them are blue ray. will i need to buy dual layer anyways or can i get single layer? most of my movies are around 2 hours give or take 10 minutes, but the longest movie i have is troy. any help is appreciated

im wondering if i will need dual layer blanks? i wont be using menus or anything just the main movie and audio, and none of them are blue ray. will i need to buy dual layer anyways or can i get single layer?

Any (commercially bought) DVD you throw at CloneDVD2 can be fit onto a DVD5/single layer blank disc.
Unless you are very particular about video quality, even more so if watching on a big TV screen, you will be fine with single layer.

So only you can decide if the quality is good enough.

I did Saving Private Ryan a few years ago and the compression %age was, if I remember correctly, just under 50%. For me it was very watchable but during a scene with heavy rain in it there was some blockiness creeping in.

I don't use dual layer because I'm more than happy with the compression quality on DVD5/single layer.

From the CloneDVD2 manual...
Quality bar: This quality bar gives you an idea of how much the compression of the data affects the movie quality. The more titles you choose to include, the more the movie quality will decrease. You should avoid the red area!

Last edited:
thanks, it is a 47" tv but its not hd so i dont think itll be that much of a difference, but ill never know until i try it. thanks for the advice. is the Verbatim Model 95098 dvds any good?

Last edited:
MKM Verbatim blanks

Mitsubishi Kagaku Media (MKM), parent company of Verbatim Corporation, invented double layer blanks (DVD+R DL). Therefore Verbatim DL blanks are the best choice.

thanks, it is a 47" tv but its not hd so i dont think itll be that much of a difference, but ill never know until i try it. thanks for the advice. is the Verbatim Model 95098 dvds any good?

I've used the Verbatim 97459 DVD+R's for a couple of years now. Out of hundreds of movies, I've only had maybe 3 or 4 that didn't turn out flawlessly.

Two of those that failed didn't play at all and one, Unstoppable, skipped and paused at a few places about half-way through. I should have written "Skippable but Unstoppable, Nonetheless" on the disc. I'm not a professional comedian, by the way.

Back