Do I need CloneDVD, or can I just use AnyDVD?

Discussion in 'AnyDVD HD (DVD issues)' started by scoffpeext, Apr 7, 2008.

1. scoffpeext

scoffpeext New Member

Hey,

Just wanted some advice really. I know in a ideal world I'd get clone DVD but i'm thinking purely of financial (as i'm a poor student lol).

I don't tend compress my DVDs as I rarely burn them again, I just store them on my PC and watch them on there as kind of a HTPC DVD library. So do I need CloneDVD? CloneDVD is mainly used for compressing so you can burn again isn't it? Can I just use the built in AnyDVD ripper for this, or does CloneDVD do something which I need?

Cheers

2. DrinkLyeAndDie

DrinkLyeAndDie Retired Moderator

CloneDVD lets you remove unnecessary titles (ie previews, trailers, extras, garbage). You can rip the disc to your HDD as an ISO or not. The title removal ability is more important, IMHO, than DVD-9 to DVD-5 compression. The AnyDVD ripper rips everything w/o letting you remove any titles as you do so. You also cannot currently rip to an ISO with the AnyDVD ripper. That has been requested but it still can't be done and I don't know if it will be added.

AnyDVD alone, using the AnyDVD ripper, will work for what you want to do but removing uncessary titles and garbage can reduce the footprint needed on your HDD. If that doesn't matter to you then, yes, AnyDVD should work fine w/o CloneDVD.

3. oldjoe

oldjoe Well-Known Member

You will not need CloneDVD, or any other burning software, to watch the ripped movies from your HDD.