• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

DL burner?

simracer51

Will a regular DVD burner burn DL's dics? Or do I need a DL burner?

Also, On my Dell invoice it says I have a DVD+RW burner. SO this means I HAVE to use a DVD+ to do a burn, correct?

I can't use a DVD-, correct?

Sorry for the ignorant questions. I'm new at this and I'm really learning tons of stuff on this awesome forum.

Last edited:
I'm still confused...lol

So I can use + or -?

BTW my burner is NEC DVD+RW ND-1100A 10GE (ATAPI)

Also I'm trying to use the ImgBurn. It won't let me click on New Setting. It is shaded out.

And for current settings it tells me it is Unknown (failed).

Also I just tried the NERO tool and It won't tell me anything about my E drive....lol. That is where my burner is. I checked the dropdown menu and it only had the D drive.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
I'm still confused...lol

So I can use + or -?

BTW my burner is NEC DVD+RW ND-1100A 10GE (ATAPI)

visit http://support.ap.dell.com/support/edocs/storage/p46434/en/specs.htm

According to that page, you can only burn DVD+R, DVD+RW, CD-R, and CD-RW

According to that page, you cannot burn -R nor double or dual layer media

Also I just tried the NERO tool and It won't tell me anything about my E drive....lol. That is where my burner is. I checked the dropdown menu and it only had the D drive.

Sounds like your drive isn't working properly. You should contact Dell.

Last edited:
I've been burning with no problem. You have answered pretty much everythimg Ineed to know in your last post. No DL's for me.

I still want to make sure I have the DVD- rom setting....but it won't let me make a new setting because it is shaded out.

Will a regular DVD burner burn DL's dics? Or do I need a DL burner?

Also, On my Dell invoice it says I have a DVD+RW burner. SO this means I HAVE to use a DVD+ to do a burn, correct?

I can't use a DVD-, correct?

Sorry for the ignorant questions. I'm new at this and I'm really learning tons of stuff on this awesome forum.

There are NO ignorant questions.
NEC ND-1100A 4X DVD Burner.. DVD+R / DVD+RW / CD-R / CD-RW
It will accept +R or +RW DVD's only.
It will NOT do Dual layer DVD's.

I still want to make sure I have the DVD- rom setting....but it won't let me make a new setting because it is shaded out.

You should probably contact Dell concerning bitsetting support for that burner to change the booktype of your blank media to "dvd-rom".

I found this on the Dell forums. I guess there is no way to change the settings with the burner I have.

http://www.dellcommunity.com/suppor...cdrom&message.id=52332&query.id=141239#M52332

I have burned a couple of DVD's already and they look good to me. So what would I be missing if I never switch to the DVD-ROM setting? Just stand alone compatibility? Or is there more downfalls with not having the DVD-rom setting?

BTW...thanks for all the help!!

I found this on the Dell forums. I guess there is no way to change the settings with the burner I have.

http://www.dellcommunity.com/suppor...cdrom&message.id=52332&query.id=141239#M52332

I have burned a couple of DVD's already and they look good to me. So what would I be missing if I never switch to the DVD-ROM setting? Just stand alone compatibility? Or is there more downfalls with not having the DVD-rom setting?

BTW...thanks for all the help!!

I looked around and your DVDRW has the same hardware as the NEC1300 and Plextor 540A. But, no Bitsetting firmware for those either.
You won't be missing anything as far as quality. Some DVD Players will not recognize +R media. When you purchase a new DVD PLayer, be certain it is capable of reading +R media. "Most" newer players will play anything, especially the cheapies.

thanks for all the help guys!

Any recommendations for a DL burner that I can change bitsettings.
Where should I look? Newegg?

Whatever you do avoid Matshita (Panasonic), and if you do use Anydvd you should be aware that some newer Lite-on burners seem to be having issues with Anydvd for whatever reason (possibly a firmware compatibility issue with Anydvd), in particular the Lite-On LH-20A1H.

Last edited:

Newegg has an very knowledgeable and helpful staff and they will give you specs, before you buy, for any DVDRW that you are considering purchasing.
NEC, Lite-On and Plextor should all have bit-setting capabilities.

Back