• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

DivX for PlayStation 3

dragon457

I'm hoping to get a Playstation 3 soon, and am looking at archiving my DVD collection to some format that'll play on the PS3. I know there's already an .mp4 Playstation 3 option, which is fine, except that it takes anywhere from 5 to 7 hours to encode an ~2 hour movie. With the latest firmware updates, the PS3 is now able to play DivX formatted video, as long as it conforms to the latest format properties.

What I was wondering is if the DivX output from CDM works on PS3? One of the reasons I'd like to use DivX for my archival purposes is that I can encode an entire 2 hour movie in anywhere from 45 minutes to 1 1/2 hours; a much better conversion time ratio than PS3 .mp4. Not only that, but the file is then more compatible with other devices and is less hardware intensive for when I want to watch movies on a PC.

Since I don't actually have a PS3 yet, I thought maybe someone here, or one of the devs, may have tested it out already. If so, and if it indeed does work, is there anything I should be aware of to make sure the movies work. For example, bit rates, resolutions, etc.

Hi, you can use the default DivX profile in CloneDVD mobile to create PS3 compatible movie files. However, the PS3 appears not to recognize them when stored on a DVD - you have to stream them via the USB port to the PS3 (e.g. with a USB memory stick or a USB hard drive).

I've been looking at this very issue for the last couple of days (got a PS3 for Christmas).

A bit of background. For the last few weeks I've been using Nero Recode to rip DVD's (Nero Digital AVC) ending up with an H264/AAC 5.1 mp4 file. This plays back nicely on the PS3 and includes 5.1 surround sound. It does however, take a loooong time to encode - 4 to 6 hours. Another issue I had was getting Nero to hardcode the subtitles into the mp4. Playing back on the PC, using Nero Showtime, I can choose subtitles on or off. On the PS3 however, this option is not available.

A couple of days ago I stumbled on CloneDVD Mobile. I own both CloneDVD and AnyDVD and they a great products so I thought I would give Mobile a go as well.

First up I tried the PS3 AVC/H264 models. This worked well, including hardcoded subtitles, and the resultant mp4 plays back on the PS3. On the down side it does not support AAC 5.1 (no surround sound) and takes a looong time to encode (as you pointed out).

Next up I tried the Generic DivX model. Much faster this time but again no surround sound. So I had a look through this forum and came across this thread: http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=11319. In the second post 'eddweb' provides a mod for the devices.ini file that allows CloneDVD Mobile to encode the video to DivX and keep the original DVD AC3 (Dolby Digital) sound track. This has proved the best option for me.

Summary:
  • H264/AAC - excellent quality video, slow to encode, no 5.1 surround sound (stereo only).
  • DivX/AC3 5.1 - good quality video, fast to encode, 5.1 surround sound.

Caveat: when I talk about video quality above, the difference is not that great and quality can be improved.
Caveat 2: I have so far only chosen settings that result in a avi or mp4 file of less than 2GB in size. There are other posts on the forum which provide details on how to encode DivX files >2GB.

P.S. I'm at the point now where I'm happy enough with CloneDVD Mobile to buy a license :)

I've had good luck just making a data DVD with a folder named "VIDEO" and put the movies in it. I can mix formats, AVI,MP4 and DivX as well as almost anything else. The PS3 will list and play them all.

Thanks for the info, guys. At least now I know I have some options.

Back