• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Disc errors help

thestripedone

Hi all,
I've been using AnyDVD and CloneDVD for some time and am very happy with both. Suddenly though, my main DVD player (which is a burner as well) won't read the copied DVD. I get the following:

Disc Error
Please eject the disc
Playback feature may not be
available on this disc

Can anyone help with this. The burned copies work on some of my other players and used to work on this one which is my main one on the main tv. I've tried two different brands of DVDs, same results.
Thanks,
Bruce

Sounds to me like the burner might be fading away.
-W

Sounds like problem i had with old hp burner.It was the first sign of my burner dieing.Sounds like you need a new burner.

Hi all,
I've been using AnyDVD and CloneDVD for some time and am very happy with both. Suddenly though, my main DVD player (which is a burner as well) won't read the copied DVD. I get the following:

Disc Error
Please eject the disc
Playback feature may not be
available on this disc

Can anyone help with this. The burned copies work on some of my other players and used to work on this one which is my main one on the main tv. I've tried two different brands of DVDs, same results.
Thanks,
Bruce
How old is the burner?

burner

my burner is an Emerson VHS/Burner combo. I think its only 2-3 years old.

1. Try real 8x Taiyo Yuden media. (Taiyo Yuden tends to playback well in a wide variety of dvd players)

2. If you're using +R media, change the bootype to "dvd-rom".

3. Trying slowing your burn speeds

If this doesn't work, chances are, like everyone else mentioned your player is dying.

thanks

thanks for the advice. I forgot to mention it plays the original just fine. and I'm burning the discs on my computer burner then trying to play them on the other DVD player/burner attached to my TV

Webslinger.
I'm using - R media. How do you change the burn speed with Clone? This is so odd. everything was working fine then something changed, dunno what. Seems like the Emerson is too new to go bad, but maybe. I just want to try everything first before I replace it. It just won't read the burned DVDs. Also, I live in a small town that only has a walmart and staples. I usually buy DVDs when they go on sale, which is always. I've never seen the real 8x Taiyo Yuden media. Where can you get them?
Thanks, Bruce

Webslinger.
This is so odd. everything was working fine then something changed, dunno what.

Quality from lesser reputable brands of blank media can vary from batch to batch and disc to disc. I'm not a big fan of Taiyo Yuden 16x line of blank media, by the way.

Also, your player could be dying as others have noted.

You mentioned "Clone". There's Clonecd and Clonedvd2.

For Clonedvd2, follow this please:

http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=476

For Clonecd, follow this please:

http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=327

I've never seen the real 8x Taiyo Yuden media. Where can you get them?

I do not live in the United States. Perhaps some others can help you with American online sources.

Last edited:
Well, I've tried to copy and play a DVD burned at 8x and it still didn't work. Also, someone else I burned a copy for had the same problem on their dvd player. I'd hate to replace my combo vcr/dvd burner if its not bad. Any other things I can check.
thanks,
Bruce

I would like to offer a helpful tip, but I am a bit confused following the thread.

If I have this right, you are buring DVD's on a PC-based unit and then playing them on a 2nd unit connected to your TV. Everything used to be fine, but not the 2nd unit on the TV won't play correctly?

Assuming that is correct we need to narrow down where the problem lies.

Will the burned movies play on your PC? Assuming you have a player instaled this is a quick check. If yes then I don't think the problem is with this unit.

Do old burned DVD's still play on the 2nd unit? If yes, then I don't think the problem is with this unit.

Now if both tests lead to yes answers, and my statement that neither unit is at fault....I throw up my hands and admit no ability to help you. It then could very well not be the units at all, and then I would consider tests on media.

As for a source in the US for TY blank media consider the following: www.supermediastore.com prices are decent and I have been happy with my purchases.

Well, I've tried to copy and play a DVD burned at 8x and it still didn't work. Also, someone else I burned a copy for had the same problem on their dvd player. I'd hate to replace my combo vcr/dvd burner if its not bad. Any other things I can check.
thanks,
Bruce

Based on this statement...I think it is the creating burner that is at fault...not the reader one hooked up to the TV. I mean your friend is using a completely separate 3rd unit and having trouble. Can we assume this person was able to view your burned discs prior to recent?

continuing to narrow down the problem

Thanks for your response and help. You have a very logical/diagnostic process to solve the problem. You were correct in your assumptions. I did go back and try some of older burned copies and they did play on the TV unit. It seems that there is a point where it stopped reading the burned discs. I even burnt one with DVD Shrink to see if it might have been a problem with Clone DVD2 but I had the same problem.
I tried what you said to play the burned copy on my computer DVD player but Media player wouldn't play it, seems I don't have the right software to play it. I tried to download it from Microsoft and it appears I don't have a "Genuine" copy of XP on my computer, whoever installed it gyped me I guess. Do you know of any free programs I can use to do this test?

I have an external DVD burner (sony) on my computer and using nero software. the unit is only a couple of years old.
So what do you think my next steps should be in diagnosing the problem? Could there be some type of setting that has changed?

Hmmm, ok I am not enough of a nerd (close, but not quite) to know if a DVD player can lose the ability to read one type of disc, while playing the others fine. So I am still not sure it is your player over burner.

As for your PC, I am also not able to help as I use either Media player or a player that came with my burner which I bought & installed retail, didn't come originally with my PC. I guess a quick Google search might show something that will work.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/download/AllDownloads.aspx?displang=en&qstechnology= try this link and see if it requires you to have a good version of Windows.

Hmmm, ok I am not enough of a nerd (close, but not quite) to know if a DVD player can lose the ability to read one type of disc, while playing the others fine. So I am still not sure it is your player over burner.

It is very possible, and not uncommon, for a DVDRW to lose the capability to play some discs and not others.
I would suggest that thestripedone tries some different media. The age of the Sony DVDRW external is not the issue as much as how much it has been used and it's enviroment.
You could also try a cleaning disc on the SonyDVDRW.

Cleaning disc

Man, I wish you guys were here to help me. I'll try the cleaning disc. Where does one get a cleaning disc? I have a staples, radio shack and a walmart in my town thats about it. When I bought the external burner (online) it came with Nero software. Could there be some sort of setting in Nero that has changed accidentally?
thanks,
Bruce

Problem solved

Thanks to everyone for the help in solving this problem. I followed all your suggestions and in the end you were right, it was the player on the tv. I bought a new LG player/burner and all my burnt discs are playing fine.
It just reinforces the old adage "you get what you pay for"
thanks again,
Bruce

glad you're up & running. I know from experience how frustrating it can be dealing with elecronics that "suddenly" stop working the same as they did yesterday.

it is frustrating and the unit is garbage. I called the company and they basically said.. too bad. that the unit will only play 4x blanks reliably. Stupid me going for a cheap Emerson. Learned my lesson.
thanks again

Back