• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Disassembling an ASUS BW-16D1X-U and Pioneer BDR-X12UBK

Big C

In late 2016, I bought an LG BE16NU50. The drive lasted until early 2020. So since then, I bought an LG WH16NS40, LG WH16NS60, and Pioneer BDR-212UBK. Being that I have a laptop, I disassembled the LG BE16NU50 and took its USB/SATA III converter so I could swap between the three new drives depending on what kind of disc I was burning to or ripping from. The converter finally wore out. Being that I can't find a kit with an enclosure large enough for my Pioneer nor a converter without an enclosure, I plan on buying either an ASUS BW-16D1X-U or Pioneer BDR-X12UBK, taking the converter from it, and swapping between my three SATA III drives on demand according to what kind of disc I'll be burning to or ripping from. Are these drives easy to disassemble and remove the converter from like the LG BE16NU50 was, is one easier to disassemble than the other, or are these drives ceiled shut in ways a screwdriver wouldn't allow me to do that?

Seems unnecessary, why not take a look at OWC Mercury Pro 5.25” Optical Drive External Enclosure.
(A slim drive enclosure is also available).

Here's where I stand in trying to make my decision. My LG WH16NS60 is a faster 4K UHD ripper than my LG WH16NS40 and Pioneer BDR-212UBK. Yet my Pioneer seems to be a faster Blu-ray and DVD ripper. So far, the two 5.25" enclosures which allow firmware flashing have setbacks. The Pioneer BDR-212UBK won't physically fit in the Mercury Pro. Yet the Mercury Pro has USB 3.2 and a power supply rated at 3 Amps, which would allow the Pioneer to perform up to its full potential if it would fit. My Pioneer will fit in the Vantec NST-536S3-BK, yet the Vantec's website only mentions USB 3.0 and a power supply rated at only 2 Amps, not allowing the Pioneer to perform at its full potential. Perfection would be a 5.25" enclosure which would allow firmware flashing, use USB 3.1 or 3.2 and SATA III, and a power supply rated at 3 Amps. I could just get three Vantecs being that each drive would fit in each one of them, but due to the lower USB and power supply ratings, might be blocking potential for the fastest rips.

Here's where I stand in trying to make my decision. My LG WH16NS60 is a faster 4K UHD ripper than my LG WH16NS40 and Pioneer BDR-212UBK. Yet my Pioneer seems to be a faster Blu-ray and DVD ripper. So far, the two 5.25" enclosures which allow firmware flashing have setbacks. The Pioneer BDR-212UBK won't physically fit in the Mercury Pro. Yet the Mercury Pro has USB 3.2 and a power supply rated at 3 Amps, which would allow the Pioneer to perform up to its full potential if it would fit. My Pioneer will fit in the Vantec NST-536S3-BK, yet the Vantec's website only mentions USB 3.0 and a power supply rated at only 2 Amps, not allowing the Pioneer to perform at its full potential. Perfection would be a 5.25" enclosure which would allow firmware flashing, use USB 3.1 or 3.2 and SATA III, and a power supply rated at 3 Amps. I could just get three Vantecs being that each drive would fit in each one of them, but due to the lower USB and power supply ratings, might be blocking potential for the fastest rips.
You have some wrong assumptions. maximum read rates i have seen are around 36MB/sec. Even USB 2.0 transfers 480MBit/ sec which is approx. 60MB/sec. So fast enough for discs. A good external adapter is the Sharkoon that also allows flashing and can also be used for transferring data from and to hard drives.
https://www.amazon.de/Sharkoon-Driv...61802&sprefix=sharkoon+usb+sata,aps,89&sr=8-3

I just checked the current ratings on my drives. The Pioneer is rated at 2.2 Amps, and the LGs at 2.0, making all my drives more efficient than I thought, even at full potential. I'll be able to get three of the Vantec enclosures, put my drives in them, maintain full potential, save some money, and not have to swap drives anymore.

You have some wrong assumptions. maximum read rates i have seen are around 36MB/sec. Even USB 2.0 transfers 480MBit/ sec which is approx. 60MB/sec. So fast enough for discs. A good external adapter is the Sharkoon that also allows flashing and can also be used for transferring data from and to hard drives.
https://www.amazon.de/Sharkoon-DriveLink-Combo-USB3-0-Dockingstation/dp/B00DVDSQ4U/ref=sr_1_3?__mk_de_DE=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&crid=14HPF95DTJOJB&keywords=sharkoon+usb+sata&qid=1650361802&sprefix=sharkoon+usb+sata,aps,89&sr=8-3
I am fully aware that a drive's maximum speed is much lower than the speed of SATA and USB 3.x. However, I always thought that a drive's maximum speed for each disc type and format can only be reached at maximum data transfer rate between the drive and computer. And as far as the power supplies are concerned, being that the 2.0-Amp rating on the LGs and the 2.2-Amp rating on the Pioneer isn't much higher than the 2.0-Amp rating on the Vantec's power supply, I'm no longer concerned about a voltage drop serious enough to slow down the spinning of the drives or cause malfunctioning.

Breaking news. While I was on Vantec's site, just for the hell of it, I checked out their optical drive enclosures, and I stumbled upon the NST-540S3-BK, an updated version of the NST-536S3-BK, which addresses my preferences to install either my LGs or Pioneer, as well as data transfer speed and power ratings higher than what my drives are rated at to insure everything is performing at its maximum potential. I was able to cancel my three NST-536S3-BKs before they were delivered and get three NST-540S3-BKs. They do cost a little more, but I feel at ease now that I found the perfect 5.25" optical drive enclosure.

Back