• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Difficulty in Playback with Rip to Disk

aedan

So I am new to AnyDVD, read the FAQs and did some searching, but haven't found an answer to my problem...

I have starting backing up my DVD collection using AnyDVDHD 6.8.7 using the "Rip Video DVD to Harddisk" but am encountering playback issues. Specifically, when attempting to play the video in Media Center 7 or Media Player Classic, either the video_ts file wont play, can't get past the menu system or selecting root menu freezes playback. Some DVDs work just fine, others not at all. For the ones not working, the same dvd ripped as .iso files works fine...

Am I puling out too much content in the AnyDVD settings? Suggestions? I must be doing something less than ideal, as it is hit or miss whether it works and everyone else here is ripping and using the video_ts files just fine...

So I am new to AnyDVD, read the FAQs and did some searching, but haven't found an answer to my problem...

I have starting backing up my DVD collection using AnyDVDHD 6.8.7 using the "Rip Video DVD to Harddisk" but am encountering playback issues. Specifically, when attempting to play the video in Media Center 7 or Media Player Classic, either the video_ts file wont play, can't get past the menu system or selecting root menu freezes playback. Some DVDs work just fine, others not at all. For the ones not working, the same dvd ripped as .iso files works fine...

Am I puling out too much content in the AnyDVD settings? Suggestions? I must be doing something less than ideal, as it is hit or miss whether it works and everyone else here is ripping and using the video_ts files just fine...

This question sounds like it should be in the AnyDVD Forum, since blu ray discs have a different file structure.

Question: did you convert the files to an iso (using CloneDVD2) or burn the ripped files to a DVD (using CloneDVD2, I hope, or even something like Shrink)??

That's the usual way of using AnyDVD when your ripping a disc.

Last edited:
Well i am using AnyDVD HD as the ripper, so I hope this is the forum...

The two ways I have ripped the CD both use AnyDVD, either the "Rip Video DVD to harddisk" (which works sometimes, sometimes not) and "rip to image" (which works)...

I believe your problem is you are playing the wrong VIDEO_TS file. To play them correctly you need to play the first VIDEO_TS ifo file listed in the folder. If you select any other one you have the problem that you described in your first post. ISO will play correctly since it container that lumps all the VIDEO_TS and other files together to play seemlessly

Also should not use the Rip to Image feature as that for Blu-ray if need ISO use CloneDVD for that. As for wrong forum I'm sure it be moved eventually since talking about DVDs and not Blu-ray.

thanks for the tips, but I am playing the correct video_ts file, both through manual selection, as well as pointing to the correct folder in MyMovies and letting Media Center go get whatever file it wants.

Well i am using AnyDVD HD as the ripper, so I hope this is the forum...

The two ways I have ripped the CD both use AnyDVD, either the "Rip Video DVD to harddisk" (which works sometimes, sometimes not) and "rip to image" (which works)...
If you have read through the FAQ's then you'd already know that the AnyDVD HD forum is for Blu-ray/HD DVD and the AnyDVD Forum is for DVD's. I'm sure one of the mods will move this to the correct forum in time

My two-cents worth, for what it is worth...

Might as well give my 2-cents in before they move the thread (maybe)... :p

I have a lifetime subscription to all Slysoft's arsenal of programs except Game Jackal Pro. I have used CloneCD, CloneDVD, CloneDVD2 and CloneDVD Mobile. The best way to have (almost) 100% issue free is to always utilize the rip to ISO feature of AnyDVD/HD so that you capture not only the movie but also the parameters of the actual CD/DVD/Blueray disc that the movie resided from. This way you can use Virtual CloneDrive (any version [preferably the latest version] or similar program) and actually run the movie from an actual drive letter. Unless I want to backup my movies that I have from the original disc, I utilize ImgBurn for all my other ISOs (disc backups) because I have found running things from a drive letter (virtual or otherwise) will almost guarantee smooth sailing. :agree: THEN I use CloneDVD/2/Mobile for transferring a "bloated" movie to a smaller media (like going from a DVD9 disc to a DVD5 disc). :agree:

Hope this helps....CHEERS! :rock:

Media Center/Media Player have some limitations for playing ripped DVDs, specifically file/folder rips as you have discovered.

One thing you should know is to NOT use AnyDVD(HD) to directly create ISO rips. If there is structural protection(s) on the DVD, it can mess up playback. The Rip to ISO feature is for Blu-ray discs.

There are two ways that I recommend to correctly create a DVD ISO:

1) using ImgBurn from your AnyDVD(HD) ripped files, or

2) using CloneDVD2 from either the files or directly from your original DVDs. CloneDVD2 has the advantage of working well with AnyDVD(HD) and virtually automates the ISO creation with just a couple of clicks. Having CloneDVD2 makes it easier to remove content you don't want from your rips, such as trailers.

CloneDVD2 is not free, like ImgBurn, but I personally have found it more than worth the price. I still have ImgBurn as part of my toolbox for burning recordable media, just not for my DVD backup needs.

I have been using the RIP to ISO feature of AnyDVDHD for both Bluray and DVDs. With no issues. Like I said earlier maybe you have registry interference and errors within. I am only speculating here. :D I am not saying FurryGuy is wrong, everyone has there style of how they wish to backup their media. The way I do it works for me. It is quite possible that since you are using Media Center you have incountered an internal error, sort to speak. Maybe reinstalling Windows will fix that issue. Seems to me that it is exclusively your own error. :bang: Which is has always been a pain. :p

Let me know if I could be of further assistance.

CHEERS!

Keep ripping DVDs to ISO using AnyDVD and you will find more and more DVDs have problems. Ripping to ISO is not designed to be used on DVDs, only Blu-rays. Blu-ray discs is why the feature was added to AnyDVD since Blu-ray discs do not have structural copy protection.

Back