• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Different POV on Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's been said that Slysoft can't code an AnyDVD Linux port because that would need to run as a kernel module and that wouldn't be accepted by the Linux community and by Linux users.

No. That's not the problem.

To repeat what James has repeated ad-nauseum, a Linux version of Anydvd just isn't happening.

James said:
AnyDVD is an extension to the operating system, so it must run in kernel mode.

http://forum.slysoft.com/showpost.php?p=97100&postcount=8

Linux is a problem because of the GPL licensing of the Kernel, and the requirement, that *linking something against the kernel* requires it to be licensed under GPL, too.
So AnyDVD for Linux is a no-go. FreeBSD / NetBSD wouldn't be a problem.

A 1:1 portation of AnyDVD for Linux is not possible because of GPL requirements.
Of course, sitting on Antigua I could simply show the finger and say "sue me!". But we are not like some other companies who use GPL code without licensing. I could tell names, but it's not my business. If the authors of the abused GPL code don't care, why should I.

Anydvd for Linux simply isn't happening.

The bickering stops NOW (this is not directed towards anyone specifically). :policeman:

Also, there are a number of threads discussing Linux, which haven't been closed. Instead of opening new threads on this tired subject, I suggest you use an existing thread.
You can find one by exercising the search feature. Otherwise, I'm probably going to feel compelled to close new Linux (and Mac) threads.

Thread closed :policeman:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back