• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Did I install the wrong drive firmware?

Meandmyself

I bought a LG BH16NS55 two and a half years ago.
I followed the guide on redfox and flashed the firmware to BD-RE WH16NS60 1.02 about 8 months ago. I recall being confused by which firmware to install at the time.
That computer developed horrific instability issues and it's only just now that I've got a new pc, installed the drive and started trying to rip.

If I understand correctly, it seems something is wrong with the firmware that I installed as I get this message: "Failed to send host key (bus encryption)!" when trying to rip my UHD discs. Blu-ray is OK.

So I went to the firmware flashing thread and just like the thread says I installed makemkv to see the drive info. But it all looks ok? What am I missing?

Edit: Now that I've installed MakeMKV it seems that AnyDVD is happy to rip UHD. Is that to do with libredrive? What do I have to do to use AnyDVD without MakeMKV, partly because AnyDVD is just kind of special to me (memories of the old days, before new management, and I still love the project and where it's gone.. I don't want to abandon the new redfox team) and partly because I get an error during MakeMKV installation "Failed to install CdRom Device Arbiter service" that I don't like)

Drive Information
OS device name: E:
Current profile: BD-R SRM
Manufacturer: HL-DT-ST
Product: BD-RE WH16NS60
Revision: 1.02
Serial number: KLFJ7384056
Firmware date: 2118-10-29 19:36
Bus encryption flags: 17
Highest AACS version: 72

LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: MT1959
Firmware type: Patched (microcode access re-enabled)
Firmware version: 1.02
DVD all regions: Yes
BD raw data read: Yes
BD raw metadata read: Yes
Unrestricted read speed: Yes

Disc Information
Label: MOANA
Timestamp: 2019-09-03 16:38:37
Data capacity: 57.11 Gb

Last edited:
Please create and upload a AnyDVD log.

Thanks for your response. Of course. Silly me to not think of that. Please see attached.

Edit: This log is now that MakeMKV is installed. If it will help I'll uninstall MakeMKV and do another log?

Attachments

• AnyDVD_8.6.2.0_Info_E_MOANA_45746E3E_EE5E8ECD.ziplog
    3.7 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Hm, it says Failed to send host key, but also Removed AACS copy protection.
Edit: Now that I've installed MakeMKV it seems that AnyDVD is happy to rip UHD.
Oh, you edited your post. Yes, since a few versions AnyDVD uses MakeMKV to support more drives (for example I now can use UHD Discs with my external slim drive, that was not possible before). If you don't want to use it, just uninstall it.
The error might be caused when you have AnyDVD running and want to install it at the same time. Close AnyDVD and try it again.
Edit: But when it is possible to rip the disc now and the copy is playable that is not necessary.

Not sure if it will make any difference, but you can try the newest beta:
https://forum.redfox.bz/threads/anydvd-hd-8-6-2-1-beta.84725/

Yes I will try uninstall MakeMKV again tomorrow, I would rather run AnyDVD without MakeMKV, but I think I will come back to my original problem - did I install the wrong firmware?

I backed up my old files at the time:
Original firmware (my dump) HL-DT-ST_BD-RE__BH16NS55_1.04_211901041342_KLFJ7384056
Flashed firmware HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_WH16NS60-1.02-NM00100-211810291936.bin

As I said I was confused as to which was the best firmware to flash, perhaps the decision was based on the sleep bug.. I can't remember.

Last edited:
About the firmware, you will have to wait for another user. While I flashed my own drive successfully several times, I cannot speak for other models.

Ns60 is an official uhd drive so if you use that firmware you need to have makemkv installed for anydvd to support it. Alternately you can flash one of the myriad of lg uhd friendly firmware out there if you want to use anydvd without libredrive.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

Yes I will try uninstall MakeMKV again tomorrow, I would rather run AnyDVD without MakeMKV, but I think I will come back to my original problem - did I install the wrong firmware?

I backed up my old files at the time:
Original firmware (my dump) HL-DT-ST_BD-RE__BH16NS55_1.04_211901041342_KLFJ7384056
Flashed firmware HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_WH16NS60-1.02-NM00100-211810291936.bin

As I said I was confused as to which was the best firmware to flash, perhaps the decision was based on the sleep bug.. I can't remember.

The NS60 firmware you have flashed has these advantages: No sleep bug, handles 3-layer UHDs (size >66GB) better than friendly drive firmware. Disadvantage: Needs to have Makemkv installed to work with AnyDVD and UHDs.

The NS60 firmware you have flashed has these advantages: No sleep bug, handles 3-layer UHDs (size >66GB) better than friendly drive firmware. Disadvantage: Needs to have Makemkv installed to work with AnyDVD and UHDs.

Hm, thanks. Maybe I need to stick with the firmware I have rather than move to MK firmware as I know they don't fix firmware issues other than enabling ripping. That's a shame.

Would you know if there a 'best' firmware for this drive?

Back