• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Desperate for help to read dvd-r data disks

tio200

title almost says it all, i have several hundred dvd- r disks which were burned with maybe nero and roxio. Most of them state under properties RAW.,whiles others will give a loud clang and state that E(DRIVE) is incorrect function. I have seen this problem on many sites and no one seems to have the correct answer. Can anyone suggest a program ;free of course that will read them? I may have to reinstall my windows xp or reconfigure some system files. Help and hurry !! Also many of my fotis dvd rewritable disks won't read while some of them say cdfs. Maybe i burned them using the wrong format. Maybe 1.2 or 2,50 not really sure. I removed roxio; so can't be sure what to do. This has been a problem for several years now please help !many are memorex, but i have tried using another machine with the same results.

Last edited:
This should be moved to the CD/DVD/BD Blanks forum. 8)

Its not the machine that is the problem but more likely the blanks themselves. Memorex is considered a cheap brand for lousy quality blank media. Most likely the layer that holds the data has degraded to a point where they can no longer be read.

Verstuurd van mijn HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio Z715e met Tapatalk

"likely the blanks themselves"

I recently burned some dvd-r on my desktop that played fine on my home blu ray and dvd players but appeared as RAW (blank) dvd-r when put in my laptop.

It does not happen when I burn to Taiyo Yuden PREMIUM but does from time to time if I burn to Memorex, TDK or other lower quality media.

Regarding tio200's "i have several hundred dvd- r disks which were burned with maybe nero and roxio. Most of them state under properties RAW"

If tio200 has access to different brands of dvd burners he very well may find a burner capable of of reading his RAW (blank) dvd-r.

Is Windows able to recognize the discs in Explorer, without AnyDVD running, valid tree and file structure in Explorer? If Windows can read the data then you can simply copy the files/folders manually. Another possibility is to use the free Imgburn program to create an image of the disc and hopefully rescue the data on the disc.

Your discs are probably past the point of recovery if you are getting RAW properties listed, RAW means the drive doesn't recognize any file format such as CDFS, ISO9660, UDF, etc.

I did a quick 'net search and ran across this, can't say if it will help you:

http://www.easeus.com/resource/recover-raw-disk.htm

I had problems long ago with DVD-R blanks...copying movies on them was hit or miss when trying to play what was copied...switched to DVD+R...and no more problems...

I had problems long ago with DVD-R blanks...copying movies on them was hit or miss when trying to play what was copied...switched to DVD+R...and no more problems...

The Gypsy "booter" at my local flea-market - has been using DVD-R's for 5 years and 20,000 disks. With no issues.
There's more to it than that.

-W

The Gypsy "booter" at my local flea-market - has been using DVD-R's for 5 years and 20,000 disks. With no issues.
There's more to it than that.

-W

The OP did say many of the blanks are Memorex, so more than likely the brand is more of a factor than the -R format.

I would believe also there is more to it...I believe I used to use TDK and Maxell blanks -R...switched to Verbatim DVD-R and still had the problems even after replacing the burner...switched to Verbatim +R and never had any problems since...probably 1000 or more copies...but this is my experience...

Back