• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Daria Complete Series Disc 1 R1 improper decrypted files?

dbminter

I've got an interesting problems with Disc 1 of the Daria Complete Series R1 DVD release. All 8 discs have some sort of structural copy protection. Discs 2 through 8 play fine after decryption, but disc 1 does not. The extracted files generated by Rip Video Disc to Harddisk don't seem to play right. When the contents are played, the DVD player just displays a black screen. As I said, Discs 2 through 8 appear to be fine, it's just Disc 1 that doesn't play correctly.

Don't know if the log file will help, but it's attached.

Thanks!

Attachments

• AnyDVD_8.6.3.0_Info_R_DARIA_THE_COMPLETE_SERIES_D1.ziplog
    1.1 MB · Views: 1
Never mind. It was the processing programs I was using to make a final version I preferred. If I burned the VIDEO_TS directly from AnyDVD with ImgBurn, the resulting disc played fine. But, any processing on that VIDEO_TS resulted in discs that wouldn't play. Both DVDReMake to remove streams I didn't want and DVDShrink to shrink the DVD-9 VIDEO_TS to DVD-5 VIDEO_TS resulted in discs that wouldn't play.

Both DVDReMake to remove streams I didn't want and DVDShrink to shrink the DVD-9 VIDEO_TS to DVD-5 VIDEO_TS resulted in discs that wouldn't play.
I long used DVDShrink, but now I use MakeMKV for DVDs since it directly puts the splittet files together instead of again creating (not always properly working) .vob files that I then again have to merge together. The only issue I had was that I could not properly identify forced subs, since they were just called german and german, but no size or cc/forced tag behind it. Haven't looked at that for a longer time though and when I used it this week, the DVDs only had one sub track that I don't even need since it is completely german audio.

Never mind. It was the processing programs I was using to make a final version I preferred. If I burned the VIDEO_TS directly from AnyDVD with ImgBurn, the resulting disc played fine. But, any processing on that VIDEO_TS resulted in discs that wouldn't play. Both DVDReMake to remove streams I didn't want and DVDShrink to shrink the DVD-9 VIDEO_TS to DVD-5 VIDEO_TS resulted in discs that wouldn't play.
I recommend CloneDVD. Because it often works, where others fail.

I haven't taken to trying CloneDVD because I mostly use DVDReMake to remove things like trailers, etc. Will CloneDVD do things like remove title sets?

I only used DVDShrink in this case to test the output since I didn't want to waste more DVD+R DL, which I had done a few testing this issue out. So, I was using DVDShrink to shrink the output down to DVD-R for testing.

Actually, the problem seem to go much deeper than I thought. The main problem appears to be my DVD player isn't liking the discs I'm making. For instance, Disc 2 which was playing before now just loads that black screen I mentioned before. MPC-HC also has difficulty playing the decrypted files from AnyDVD. It just displays a black screen initially but does play the main menu audio. When you click on the window, the main menu video displays, though.

EDIT: Also, for instance, even though MPC-HC does properly play the decrypted VIDEO_TS from AnyDVD, PowerDVD does. And the discs I created that my LG Blu-Ray player won't play properly, PowerDVD does. And MPC-HC won't properly play the discs that PowerDVD does. The LG Blu-Ray player is expected to be problematic, though. It's had design flaws and playback bugs out of the box. After all, the old joke is LG means it's "Lucky Good" if an LG product works without issues.

EDIT 2: The primary problem does, indeed, appear to be playback issues with my LG Blu-Ray player. I put the same disc that doesn't play properly in the LG in my mother's older VHS/DVD combo player from Walmart and it played fine.

Last edited:
Actually, the problem seem to go much deeper than I thought. The main problem appears to be my DVD player isn't liking the discs I'm making. For instance, Disc 2 which was playing before now just loads that black screen I mentioned before. MPC-HC also has difficulty playing the decrypted files from AnyDVD. It just displays a black screen initially but does play the main menu audio. When you click on the window, the main menu video displays, though.

EDIT: Also, for instance, even though MPC-HC does properly play the decrypted VIDEO_TS from AnyDVD, PowerDVD does. And the discs I created that my LG Blu-Ray player won't play properly, PowerDVD does. And MPC-HC won't properly play the discs that PowerDVD does. The LG Blu-Ray player is expected to be problematic, though. It's had design flaws and playback bugs out of the box. After all, the old joke is LG means it's "Lucky Good" if an LG product works without issues.

EDIT 2: The primary problem does, indeed, appear to be playback issues with my LG Blu-Ray player. I put the same disc that doesn't play properly in the LG in my mother's older VHS/DVD combo player from Walmart and it played fine.
Did you create the copy with elby CloneDVD2? If not, please try.

I don't have a copy. I guess there's a trial I can install and test it out to see. However, I still think it wouldn't help in my case as the discs I make play on one DVD player but not another. So, it's my LG player that is most likely the culprit.

I guess there's a trial I can install and test it out to see.
There is.
However, I still think it wouldn't help in my case as the discs I make play on one DVD player but not another. So, it's my LG player that is most likely the culprit.
elby CloneDVD2 simply is the best, if it comes to creating copy of DVDs which don't play "by the rules". But you have ignored this wonderful software for 20 years, you may continue to do so. :)

No, I haven't ignored it. :) YEARS ago I remember trying it out. But, that was probably 15 to 20. Not that I have anything against the software, I just didn't see my need for it as I had tools that did the job. As I said, since the disc works in one player but not another, it's the LG player and using another DVD+R DL would probably be a waste. But, couldn't hurt to try it out.

Yeah, the problem is my LG Blu-Ray player, like I thought. I was relatively sure it was as another DVD player played the disc and some PC software played it. I installed CloneDVD 2 for a trial. I used the decrypted VIDEO_TS folder that AnyDVD made and I only removed 1 Title Set, which I needed removed to begin with. I then had CloneDVD immediately burn the output to DVD+R DL with no further processing done on it except by AnyDVD decrypting the VIDEO_TS and CloneDVD removing the 1 title set. That disc would not play on my LG player but did on the other DVD player and in PowerDVD 18.

Yeah, the problem is my LG Blu-Ray player, like I thought. I was relatively sure it was as another DVD player played the disc and some PC software played it. I installed CloneDVD 2 for a trial. I used the decrypted VIDEO_TS folder that AnyDVD made and I only removed 1 Title Set, which I needed removed to begin with. I then had CloneDVD immediately burn the output to DVD+R DL with no further processing done on it except by AnyDVD decrypting the VIDEO_TS and CloneDVD removing the 1 title set. That disc would not play on my LG player but did on the other DVD player and in PowerDVD 18.
Surprising, because CloneDVD removes titles (not title sets) in a way, which should make even the most stubborn players happy.

I doubt that you can't make a disc that you can play in the LG. I guess you just don't know how to do that.

...but I left DVDs many years ago. Only doing BDs and UHDs now.

I doubt that you can't make a disc that you can play in the LG. I guess you just don't know how to do that.

99% of all discs I've made have played in my LG player. Just not this one. I do know how to make DVD's that play. I've been doing it for 21 years and I've been beta testing ImgBurn for over 15. :)

99% of all discs I've made have played in my LG player. Just not this one. I do know how to make DVD's that play. I've been doing it for 21 years and I've been beta testing ImgBurn for over 15. :)
No offense intended. I know that you were very active in the Imgburn forum. Maybe that player is actually bitchy. I had never problems with my LG UHD player.

Oh, I'm sorry if I came across as offended. That was not my intent. I was just making a humorous aside.

From the beginning, this LG model has some annoyances. The biggest one is when a disc is inserted, it will 50/50 not start at the very beginning but start with the main title/first episode on a disc.

No offense intended. I know that you were very active in the Imgburn forum. Maybe that player is actually bitchy. I had never problems with my LG UHD player.

Would that LG player be the UP970 in your signature? Mine is the LG UBK90.

Yes. The UP970. And had never any issues. But not available anymore for purchasing.

Back