• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Not a RedFox Issue D+ login failure with VPN active

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rondea

A similar problem has already been reported before (https://forum.redfox.bz/threads/disney-error-provider-setup-failed.86103/, https://forum.redfox.bz/threads/disney-provider-setup-failed.86720/#post-599546), but since my issues (or at least the potential solution?) seem different, I am opening a new thread here.

When logged into a VPN (NordVPN) it appears to be impossible to login to D+ from within Anystream. Waitwait - I know you will say VPN is not supported by Anystream and some providers are currently trying to crack down on VPN usage and ban servers....I hope I can convince you that in this particular case it is likely, that is not what is causing the problem.

The problem presents as follows:
  1. If I login to D+ via Anystream without VPN, there are no issues. Except for the fact, that I only get the Disney library, that is available in the country I reside in. The respective log file is attached (VPN_AnyStream_1.5.2.3.astlog).
  2. If I login to D+ via Anystream with the VPN turned on, Anystream will just throw an error message. It is impossible to login when the VPN is turned on. The respective log file is again attached (NoVPN_AnyStream_1.5.2.3.astlog).
    I will not bother you why I want to have access to the Disney library in another country - but it has nothing to do with prices (they are the same in both countries).
  3. If I login to D+ via Anystream without VPN, then close Anystream, then start the VPN, and then re-open Anystream and login to D+ I manage to login to the D+ library (at least sometimes). Except for the fact, that it again only displays the library of the country I reside in, not the one to which I am connected via VPN.

I think it is very likely that this problem is either related to a mistake on my side OR a problem introduced during the development of Anystream. The reasons are as follows:
  • a) In the past I never had an issue to use the VPN and login to the D+ library via Anystream. This appears to have changed only recently, though I do not know for sure when (I had not checked D+ for like months).
  • b) Using the same machine, with the same VPN connected to the same VPN server I can connect to the D+ library of the VPN country through browsers such as Firefox and Chrome. This even works with browsers, which I had not used before to login to D+. Similarly, if I turn off the VPN and then login to D+ via the browsers I see the library of the country I reside in. I can easily switch between the libraries of the two countries via VPN, if I use the browsers (!). So this makes it very unlikely to me, that a server ban is responsible for the issues encountered with Anystream.
  • c) I tried the proxy server option offered by Anystream, but since none of the proxy servers that NordVPN offers appear to be located in the country I want to login to, I had little hopes. And, indeed, these proxy servers would not let me see the library of the country I am interested in.
  • d) Finally, when I had given up all hope I tried the competitor product together with the VPN. And there again, it worked. If I turned on the VPN, then logged in to D+ via the competitor, I was able to see the library offered for the VPN country. And I was able to download from there without issues. Now, some might say - well there you go, you have a workaround that solved the problem. But I prefer Anystream over the competitor - except for the issue I encountered here, it is much superior in many other aspects. So I would like to solve the problem properly, if possible.

Given that it worked in the past with Anystream, I am inclined to believe that I make a very stupid and obvious mistake that you might be able to help me with. I think I have tried everything, but for crying out loud, I cannot find what is causing the problem. My understanding is, that there is no cache data stored for D+ in Anystream (unlike for AP), so going into that direction will probably also not help (?).

Alternatively, maybe something has changed with Anystream and/or D+. I have noticed, that when I login to D+ using the browsers and with the VPN turned on, sometimes a message will be displayed, that indicates that D+ thinks I am abroad (which in a sense is true, given the VPN). It causes no problems, only the message is displayed, and I can see the library of the VPN country. But I wonder, whether that message makes it impossible for D+ to login via Anystream - the Anystream login for D+ looks differently from the one offered by the browser and maybe that display of that message causes a hiccup that prevents D+ to login via Anystream (???). Note, that if that is the case, then this problem would also appear without VPN if someone was travelling to a different country and then login into D+ via Anystream.

Sorry for the wall of text and thanks in advance for any help!

Attachments

• NoVPN_AnyStream_1.5.2.3.astlog
    44.8 KB · Views: 1
  • VPN_AnyStream_1.5.2.3.astlog
    12 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Your VPN IP is being rejected by Germany's Disney and you are being redirected back to Italys Disney site.

00:00:25.723 - [Error] [disney] [48ea26e0] failed: 302 (400) Error transferring https://global.edge.bamgrid.com/token - server replied: Bad Request

00:00:38.102 - [Nag] [disney] Setup request for "bamIdentity" - "check"
Try a proxy, I do not guarantee that will work either. :sneaky:

Last edited:
Is there any other solution except for a proxy?

As I said, it worked in the past with Anystream and it works with my browsers and the competitor. And if my assumption is right, people who travel and will try to use Anystream will be affected by this as well.

Is there any other solution except for a proxy?

As I said, it worked in the past with Anystream and it works with my browsers and the competitor. And if my assumption is right, people who travel and will try to use Anystream will be affected by this as well.
Disney in Germany is detecting the VPN and redirecting you back to Italy. VPNs are getting harder and harder to use. You said you read the other threads so you know this already. If there was another way for you to do it, I would have mentioned it. This is not an AnyStream issue.

Can you then please flag this issue to the developers? As I mentioned, there are ways getting around the problem, but those are workarounds. At the moment I have to rely on the competitor to download my stuff from D+. I am only interested in the German library, but since I cannot open a German D+ account without being a German citizen (or more specific - without having a German bank account, which you cannot get without being a resident there) I have to rely on VPNs. If I could just create a German D+ account I would, but it is impossible (at least I don't know how to) - better yet, if there was just an EU directive that would require the big streaming companies to make their libraries available across the EU (like in the US).

Or should I provide evidence that it works with other approaches (browsers, competitor)? If so, and if you can tell me what/how I provide that evidence I can try to do so.

Last edited:
Can you then please flag this issue to the developers? As I mentioned, there are ways getting around the problem, but those are workarounds. At the moment I have to rely on the competitor to download my stuff from D+. I am only interested in the German library, but since I cannot open a German D+ account without being a German citizen (or more specific - without having a German bank account, which you cannot get without being a resident there) I have to rely on VPNs. If I could just create a German D+ account I would, but it is impossible (at least I don't know how to) - better yet, if there was just an EU directive that would required the big streaming companies to make their libraries available across the EU (like in the US).

Or should I provide evidence that it works with other approaches (browsers, competitor)? If so, and if you can tell me what/how I provide that evidence I can try to do so.
I am not interested in competitors. We have no competitors. When people are traveling the idea is to download a few movies before they travel so you have a movie to watch on your trip. Your log is evidence that your VPN is being blocked. You said it works fine in your country. I would think that Disney Italy and Disney Germany are almost the same. Thank you for your post.

As I mentioned, there are ways getting around the problem,
If you know of a way to get around this issue, please use it.;)

As I mentioned it works both with the browsers and with the c. (or whatever you want to call it). This indicates, that something is different with Anystream - I would like that to be fixed. Please just tell it to the developers, they will know what to do.

Furthermore: There is a chance that I might travel to Germany in the next couple of months. If I use Anystream from there without VPN and encounter the same problem will you flag that to the developer?

Disney Italy and Disney Germany have very different content - that is coming from someone, who belongs to a language minority in Italy. We get German TV here, but the streaming providers have not picked up on this particular situation despite the fact that the respective laws are guaranteed by the UN. I think ultimately the EU should just force the streaming providers to provide the respective content across the EU (since there are multiple regions across Europe, that are affected by this exact problem). Anyway, the respective politics do not relate to Anystream.

What I don't understand here ... why do people need to use AnyStream while they travel? :unsure:
I'd say, download your stuff when you are at home and take it with you on your travels with some storage device.
IMO that is one of the purposes of AnyStream.

@cartman0208 I made the travel example to showcase that I believe this is a bigger issue than just VPN. I suspect something is off in the implementation in Anystream, given that the same approach works with other products. But ultimately the developers will have to figure this out.

AnyStream is working fine in your country by your own admission, AnyStream does not support VPNs. I am sorry but maybe we can discuss it again if something changes.

The program works as intended, there is no reason to fix something that is not broken.;)

I am ok, if developers say they will not work on it at the moment OR that it takes a lot of time OR that they might not work on it ever in the future (ok the last one would be hard to accept, but ok). But they should at least know that this issue exists - if Anystream had a GitHub page or anything similar I would just open an issue. I would know then for sure, that developers are aware of the problem. What they do with it, is then their decision.

I am ok, if developers say they will not work on it at the moment OR that it takes a lot of time OR that they might not work on it ever in the future (ok the last one would be hard to accept, but ok). But they should at least know that this issue exists - if Anystream had a GitHub page or anything similar I would just open an issue. I would know then for sure, that developers are aware of the problem. What they do with it, is then their decision.
They know VPNs are being blocked, you said you have workarounds, so I suggest you use them. AnyStream works fine in all countries that people reside in. We have discussed this a lot. Thank you again for posting.

I just read your disclaimer:

My responses tend to represent myself only and do not necessarily represent the views of The RedFox Project.

Just to be sure and due to the fact that I don't seem you listed among the staff members of the forum:

Are you an official representative of RedFox for support questions etc.? If yes, I know that this is an official response. If not, can you direct me to someone who officially represents the RedFox team (can also be PMs, if that is preferred)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back