• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Cyberlink "Power DVD 5" as suggested by Slysoft Forum moderator

lmc

Last year I had a problem with my back-up files and a slysoft moderator (Drink Lye and Die, possibly) suggested downloading the free "Power DVD v.5" software to help.
I really like the software yet I have this ongoing problem with it and was hoping that somebody would have an answer. I have spent hours, literally, attempting to get more information - but have been unsuccessful in finding anything in the Cyberlink Power DVD help directory - so I am now resorting to Slysoft Forum since this was the place in which I was originally introduced to this great player.
When I attempt to playback my back-up file created by my CloneDVD2 software, I cannot get the PowerDVD player to work with ".iso" file extensions.
I would really like to use the snapshot feature in the software (since I am unaware of such a feature for ".iso" file extensions - can they even be played or converted with CloneDVD2???).
Actually, this ends up being several questions re: both Slysoft products and clarification about the PowerDVD software.
1. Why doesn't PowerDVD v. 5 allow me to play ".iso" files? If it does, how do I do this?
2. Is there any possible way to use Clone DVD2 to:
- Convert ".iso" files to a different file extension (after I created the ".iso" file with Clone)
- Is there a snapshot type of feature in Clone DVD2 - one in which I could take a snapshot of a particular actor, save the file into a picture format that can be resized and uploaded into my Wikipedia page?
Thank you for your assistance ;),
lmc

Last year I had a problem with my back-up files and a slysoft moderator (Drink Lye and Die, possibly) suggested downloading the free "Power DVD v.5" software to help.
I really like the software yet I have this ongoing problem with it and was hoping that somebody would have an answer. I have spent hours, literally, attempting to get more information - but have been unsuccessful in finding anything in the Cyberlink Power DVD help directory - so I am now resorting to Slysoft Forum since this was the place in which I was originally introduced to this great player.
When I attempt to playback my back-up file created by my CloneDVD2 software, I cannot get the PowerDVD player to work with ".iso" file extensions.
I would really like to use the snapshot feature in the software (since I am unaware of such a feature for ".iso" file extensions - can they even be played or converted with CloneDVD2???).
Actually, this ends up being several questions re: both Slysoft products and clarification about the PowerDVD software.
1. Why doesn't PowerDVD v. 5 allow me to play ".iso" files? If it does, how do I do this?
2. Is there any possible way to use Clone DVD2 to:
- Convert ".iso" files to a different file extension (after I created the ".iso" file with Clone)
- Is there a snapshot type of feature in Clone DVD2 - one in which I could take a snapshot of a particular actor, save the file into a picture format that can be resized and uploaded into my Wikipedia page?
Thank you for your assistance ;),
lmc

I don't remember recommending someone use PowerDVD v5. I simply don't recall any discussion on this. As of last year PowerDVD7 was considered old and PowerDVD8 was out. We now have PowerDVD9. I'm not even sure how well PowerDVD v5 would perform compared to the newer versions. I'm sure there may some playback idiosyncrasies and if they do exist and don't impact newer releases of PowerDVD then I wouldn't expect fixes to be forthcoming.

To answer the questions, the ISO format is an image of the contents of the original disc. You should mount the image using Virtual CloneDrive (http://www.slysoft.com/en/virtual-clonedrive.html) and then playback the disc from the virtual drive. I am unaware of any of the major DVD software players (ie PowerDVD, TMT, and WinDVD) having the builtin ability to playback an ISO image without it being mounted using virtual drive software.

CloneDVD either creates an ISO image of the disc or creates the DVD structure of the original disc on your hard drive. If you viewed the original DVD from the DVD drive using Windows Explorer you'll see that the directories and structure are the same.

Normal DVDs ripped to the hard drive as DVD files in a normal DVD structure can be played back from the hard drive using all the major software players. You simply need to point to the directory that the ripped files are located in. This holds true even with the latest PowerDVD9.

DrinkLyeAndDie - I don't remember recommending someone use PowerDVD v5. I simply don't recall any discussion on this. As of last year PowerDVD7 was considered old and PowerDVD8 was out. We now have PowerDVD9. I'm not even sure how well PowerDVD v5 would perform compared to the newer versions. I'm sure there may some playback idiosyncrasies and if they do exist and don't impact newer releases of PowerDVD then I wouldn't expect fixes to be forthcoming.

Then it may have been two or three years ago - when I first bought my SlySoft software suite. But, I did receive a recommendation from this forum and I thought that it was from you - and, at the time, the PowerDVD was the exact solution - so another thank you for introducing me to the other software product.

1. As for "mounting" the .iso file that I originally created using Clone DVD2 - "mounting" it using Virtual Clone drive - what does this mean, the word "mounting"? And, once I "mount" the .iso file ("Please, Don't Eat the Daisies" - my back-up copy that I created and is now a .iso file on my hdrive), what do I do with this mounted file? Does it involve using PowerDVD?
I have never used my Virtual Clone software so it is completely new to me and I am not even sure of what the program is - what it does.

2. The other question that I had was re: clipping a photo by stopping at a particular place during play-back - if "mounting" does not involve using PowerDVD (which has a snapshot feature) - is there any type of program in the SlySoft Suite that can do this?

3. Is there any playback software or option in CloneDVD2 available? And, is there any file conversion options, also (ie: switching a .iso to a .wav or this extention (? not sure if it is an extension) mentioned in PowerDVD called PLS).

4. One other question, DLD - is there a free (not a free 30 day trial) upgrade for my current PowerDVD v.5? You mentioned v. 8 or 9 in your response - so I was wondering if you knew about a free version of this software - just like the free-bee that was available when the SlySoft moderator suggested this software before. I do like it and would prefer to continue to use it as my primary playback software.

Thanks again for your help, DLD (or any other respondent :p)
lmc

Last edited:
DrinkLyeAndDie - I don't remember recommending someone use PowerDVD v5. I simply don't recall any discussion on this. As of last year PowerDVD7 was considered old and PowerDVD8 was out. We now have PowerDVD9. I'm not even sure how well PowerDVD v5 would perform compared to the newer versions. I'm sure there may some playback idiosyncrasies and if they do exist and don't impact newer releases of PowerDVD then I wouldn't expect fixes to be forthcoming.

Then it may have been two or three years ago - when I first bought my SlySoft software suite. But, I did receive a recommendation from this forum and I thought that it was from you - and, at the time, the PowerDVD was the exact solution - so another thank you for introducing me to the other software product.

If it was me and it was 2 or 3 years ago then I definitely don't remember it. Senility in my old age. ;) Nonetheless, if I recommended it and things turned out well then I'm happy.

1. As for "mounting" the .iso file that I originally created using Clone DVD2 - "mounting" it using Virtual Clone drive - what does this mean, the word "mounting"? And, once I "mount" the .iso file ("Please, Don't Eat the Daisies" - my back-up copy that I created and is now a .iso file on my hdrive), what do I do with this mounted file? Does it involve using PowerDVD?
I have never used my Virtual Clone software so it is completely new to me and I am not even sure of what the program is - what it does.

An ISO is just a big container holding the contents of the DVD and you can't see inside the image unless you do a few things including mounting the image using virtual drive software.

When you "mount" an image with Virtual CloneDrive all you need to do is have the software installed, right-click on the ISO image, and select the Mount Image context menu and it will mount the image to your virtual drive. The virtual drive software is taking the image and making the OS see it just as it would view the original DVD in a real DVD drive.

2. The other question that I had was re: clipping a photo by stopping at a particular place during play-back - if "mounting" does not involve using PowerDVD (which has a snapshot feature) - is there any type of program in the SlySoft Suite that can do this?

No. If you mount the image with Virtual CloneDrive or any virtual drive software you can then playback the movie from the virtual drive and treat it just like any normal DVD which includes taking screenshots with PowerDVD.

3. Is there any playback software or option in CloneDVD2 available? And, is there any file conversion options, also (ie: switching a .iso to a .wav or this extention (? not sure if it is an extension) mentioned in PowerDVD called PLS).

CloneDVD only handles a DVD structure as input and only outputs a DVD structure be it the DVD files on your hard drive, as an ISO image on your hard drive, or burns to a blank DVD. There are no other options.

4. One other question, DLD - is there a free (not a free 30 day trial) upgrade for my current PowerDVD v.5? You mentioned v. 8 or 9 in your response - so I was wondering if you knew about a free version of this software - just like the free-bee that was available when the SlySoft moderator suggested this software before. I do like it and would prefer to continue to use it as my primary playback software.

There's no way to upgrade at this point at a reduced cost because you've waited too long and you'd only have an option to move to PowerDVD9 which is the latest version. Upgrades are only available for people who owned v7 and v8. PowerDVD used to be the better software and I still consider PowerDVD7 to be the best for SD DVD, HD-DVD, and BluRay playback but you can't buy it anymore. You might want to check out trial versions of PowerDVD9, Arcsoft TotalMedia Theatre 3, and Corel WinDVD9 and see which you prefer. I can't recommend a "best" program anymore. They all have their annoying issues. If you'd like to stick with PowerDVD then definitely check out the trial version. It's a 30 day trial.

Thanks again for your help, DLD (or any other respondent :p)
lmc

Not a problem. Hopefully what I wrote made sense. I'm still in the process of waking up.

ut-oh....

Sorry about that, WS ! :clap:

Back