Copying Interactive DVDs, why so difficult

Discussion in 'AnyDVD HD (DVD issues)' started by JohnnySH, May 29, 2021.

1. JohnnySH

JohnnySH Member

Hello Guys

OK let me say I think ANYDVD is by far the best and most professional solution for archiving film DVDs, I am very impressed with the results and have been a long time customer of CLONE CD / CLONE DVD and AnyDvd when they were elaborate bytes, So I have been on a long journey...

The only thing AnyDVD can not do well, is archive/backup some of my tricky interactive DVDs to ISO image

These below are problematic to archive ??

1) Play Your Card Right DVD
    2) Telly Addicts 2 DVD

I also have a few more...

I have tried a few programs but none of them seem to work

AnyDvd shows better signs at the start when launching the ISO and playing in Power DVD, but half way through the game, odd things happen that don't when playing the DVD

Just wondered if there were any settings I should change in ANYDVD when ripping to ISO as at the moment I have left everything on default as I do for ripping DVD films

Maybe I am expecting too much from AnyDVD, but would be great if I could archive these interactive DVDs

Thank you for any help in advance

John

2. mmdavis

mmdavis Well-Known Member

As AnyDVD is not generally to be used to rip a DVD to iso (and you get a warning when you do), you might be better served to use CloneDVD or CloneCD to make the iso. A lot has to do with what is on the DVD. An AnyDVD log would be needed if you want a developer to have a look.

3. DeepSpace

DeepSpace Well-Known Member

Can you tell me whats this about? I always use AnyDVD to backup DVDs as iso and I have no issues. No, I haven't watched many of them, but when I needed to convert something it always went fine. And I'm using it for years now.

4. JohnnySH

JohnnySH Member

I agree, I too also use rip to image (ISO) in AnyDVD and play the image back in Power DVD player and have no issues, it works flawlessly, and plays back faster in Power DVD than iso's generated in other ripping software (WinX DVD) & DVDFab etc

All rippers to ISO work, but with AnyDvd Rip to ISO, the film launches quicker by a second or two when watching in Power DVD, so I have NO complaints about the DVD to ISO rip in AnyDVD

not sure what all the warning / fuss is about with anydvd Rip to Iso either

regards

5. DeepSpace

In addition, it is called AnyDVD, so why should there be an issue? And why I get not warning when I rip the DVD to Folder (at least I did this years ago before I went to iso and can't remeber a warning)? Where is the difference?

6. James

James Redfox Development Team Staff Member

Please post AnyDVD logfiles.

7. JohnnySH

JohnnySH Member

Here is one of the log files for Telly Addicts 2 DVD that will not image

Regards

Attached Files:

8. Ch3vr0n

Ch3vr0n Translator NL

Simple. Such dvd's arent normal DVD's, they're in whats called "Mixed Mode", which consists of a video portion (anydvd can read/interpret/rip) and a DATA portion. I believe they don't use a standard Mode2 file TOC or UDF 1.02 filesystem. Then there's the issue that nowhere on the product page states anydvd supports such discs, or dvd's with a data portion.

9. DeepSpace

Are you referring to the OPs interactive DVDs or to a standard movie DVD?
    Because I talk about a standard DVD.

I think I had some DVDs with additional data in the past (I haven't watched of course), but they ripped to iso without an issue.

10. JohnnySH

JohnnySH Member

Here is another log file of play your card right interactive DVD that also will not image correctly

Thank you

Attached Files:

11. Ch3vr0n

Ch3vr0n Translator NL

You're using a severely outdated SLYSOSFT based anyDVD version (7695). Slysoft is dead, it's OPD is dead you may need to update for anydvd to properly handle that disc. NOTE: SLYSOFT keys do NOT work with anydvd v8.0.0.0 and above! You will need a new license key

12. James

James Redfox Development Team Staff Member

Try to disable "copy protection based on ...". And consider buying a new AnyDVD license.

13. JohnnySH

JohnnySH Member

Hello

Thank you for your reply

I did try the trial with the new version, still no joy, so no point in purchasing newer version, if it still can not image these dvds, though will try your switch option

thanks

14. JohnnySH

JohnnySH Member

Sadly this did not work

read error when this option unticked

Error reading from drive F:!
    Sectors: 992-1023
    Sectors: 1024-1055

So given up with expecting And DVD to succeed imaging this type of DVD

Don't know why these interactive DVDs are so hard to image, why can't you do a bit for bit image of the disc, guess it all about the protection ?

15. mmdavis

From the Global FAQ:

16. mmdavis

CloneCD works pretty well with mixed DVDs and has an iso function. You can ignore it or try it. You said in your initial post you had it.